Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Maniple can be worn in Novus Ordo, amice should be
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:50 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
I remember a while back asserting that the maniple could still be worn in the NO. Fr. Kenobi reminded me that it was a debated point. Fr. Z posted from the Vatican Liturgical Office a document that affirm the maniple may be worn. More surprising to me it insists on the amice, which, though not strictly required anymore, the document reminds us that it usually is (namely whenever the street cloths, including the roman collar, still shows)

Quote:
The maniple is an article of liturgical dress used in the celebration of the extraordinary form of the Holy Mass of the Roman Rite. It fell into disuse in the years of the post-conciliar reform, even though it was never abrogated.

And

Quote:
The priest begins with the amice, a rectangular linen cloth, which has two strings and is placed over the shoulders and around the neck; the strings are then tied about the waist. The amice has the purpose of covering the everyday clothing, even if it is the priest's clerical garb. In this sense, it is important to recall that the amice is worn even when the celebrant is wearing a modern alb, which often does not have a large opening at the neck but fits closely around the collar. Despite the close fitting neck of the modern alb, the everyday clothing still remains visible and it is necessary for the celebrant to cover his collar even in this case.[4]

In the Roman Rite, the amice is donned before the alb. While putting it on the priest recites the following prayer: "Impone, Domine, capiti meo galeam salutis, ad expugnandos diabolicos incursus" (Place upon me, O Lord, the helmet of salvation, that I may overcome the assaults of the devil).

http://www.vatican.va/news_services/lit ... ne_en.html

(NB the reference to " In the Roman Rite" has to do with Dominicans and others who, in their rite, still wear the amice as a hood)

My Blog