Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: St. Michael Hymnal
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:29 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: I eat The Lamb
Our church is becoming OCP-free!!! :bis:

They are buying St. Michael Hymnals... and asking donations of parishioners to help defray the cost.

I confess that I know nothing of the St. Michael Hymnal. The only hymnal with which I'm very familiar is the Adoremus Hymnal... which I like very much.

Now, our particular church is large and has a talented choir, our Mass is going to be sung all the way through and hymns will be reduced quite a bit. We've been singing the new responses since early October and it sounds great!

So I'm leaning toward the idea that these new hymnals are good ones; our music director is a music snob (in a good, traditional way) and our priest is very orthodox. But before donating the money, I wanted to get an idea of what to expect. How does it compare to the Adoremus Hymnal?

For picture book lovers...
For Catholic mothers...

Post subject: Re: St. Michael Hymnal
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:34 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
I don't think I have set them side by side, but the St. Michael hymnal is certainly a step up from the usual OCP fare. More traditional hymns, fewer Haugen-Haasy ones, although there are some. N.b. I'm also not sure how (or even if) the St. Michael has been adapted since the new translation.

“Just as the commandment ‘Thou shalt not kill’ sets a clear limit in order to safeguard the value of human life, today we also have to say ‘thou shalt not’ to an economy of exclusion and inequality. Such an economy kills.” — Pope Francis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:37 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
It'll be good. There is supposed to be a post-translation revision.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:06 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
I may suggest to my parish to look into this.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:16 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: As I understand it.....in God's will. This is the best place to be.
Religion: Byzantine Catholic
Church Affiliations: Past Grand Knight KoC 15107
Vas ist der OCP???

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:34 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

www.ocp.org

If you ever go into a Latin Rite parish and see missalettes, for instance, that's often an OCP product.

“Just as the commandment ‘Thou shalt not kill’ sets a clear limit in order to safeguard the value of human life, today we also have to say ‘thou shalt not’ to an economy of exclusion and inequality. Such an economy kills.” — Pope Francis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:36 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: As I understand it.....in God's will. This is the best place to be.
Religion: Byzantine Catholic
Church Affiliations: Past Grand Knight KoC 15107
Max Kolbe wrote:
http://www.ocp.org

If you ever go into a Latin Rite parish and see missalettes, for instance, that's often an OCP product.

Why do I get the feeling that they are not all that popular?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:44 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Light of the East wrote:
Max Kolbe wrote:
http://www.ocp.org

Why do I get the feeling that they are not all that popular?

I suppose it depends on how you define popular. They are extremely popular in the sense that their products are in countless parishes across the United States. But for those of us who think liturgical music in America in Latin Rite parishes is a shambles badly in need of restoration, OCP is often viewed as part of the problem. For the record, I think they, like most everyone else, are going to be getting better in light of the new translation, and musically I think the selection you get in an OCP missalette is probably superior to what you get in a Gather hymnal.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:11 pm 
Majesty
Majesty

Light of the East wrote:
Vas ist der OCP???

Oregan Catholic Press. It also provides hymnals in Spanish and in Vietnamese. Non-English hymnals don't need to be changed due to the Third Edition of the Roman Missal. Just English version.

His mother said to his servants, "Do whatever he tells you." (John 2:5)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:47 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: CDoA, SSVdP
Good to know! A sales rep from the company is related to someone in our parish, he has called to talk to our pastor a few times, I am :pray: ing.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:36 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

OCP and GIA both seem to have realized that they have come close to saturating the market for bad music and are now working on reviving the better portions of their catalogs.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:41 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
OCP and GIA both seem to have realized that they have come close to saturating the market for bad music and are now working on reviving the better portions of their catalogs.

That's what I'm seeing too, which is good for all concerned, I think.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:23 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

There are quite extensive previews of the revised St Michael Hymnal available online:

http://www.stmichaelhymnal.com/NewEditi ... Pages.aspx

Two of the US provinces of the Order of Preachers, St Joseph and the Holy Name, (Eastern and Western Dominican provinces) have selected the revised St Michael Hymnal.

"You seek me", St. Augustine comments, "for the flesh, not for the spirit. How many seek Jesus for no other purpose than that He may do them good in this present life! [...] Scarcely ever is Jesus sought for Jesus' sake" (In Ioann. Evang, 25, 10).

“therefore is my people led away captive, because they have not knowledge … therefore hath hell enlarged her mouth without any bounds” (Is 5:13-14).

But he that shall persevere to the end, he shall be saved. (Mt 24:13)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:52 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: CDoA, SSVdP
Had my hands on one today!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:05 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

I have been hoping that our parish adopts the Saint Michael Hymnal soon but I doubt that it happens.

A Systematic Study of the Catholic Religion, by Fr. Charles Coppins, SJ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:14 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

mgross wrote:
There are quite extensive previews of the revised St Michael Hymnal available online:

http://www.stmichaelhymnal.com/NewEditi ... Pages.aspx

Two of the US provinces of the Order of Preachers, St Joseph and the Holy Name, (Eastern and Western Dominican provinces) have selected the revised St Michael Hymnal.

Brother Michael Dominic O'Connor, of the Eastern Province, wrote one of the Mass settings included in that edition. He is from the Diocese of Peoria. :fyi:

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:17 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Has anyone seen the Vatican Hymnal...a parish I went to had that. It had the ordinary, with the new translation on one side, and Latin on the other...and it had all of the readings, Responsorial Psalms AND Graduals for each year, and all the SUNG propers (with their music) for all Sundays and major feasts...it used the Chabanel psalms :shock:

http://www.ccwatershed.org/vatican/

That is what I saw. I didn't see it, but it also (apparently) has the Ordinary for the EF as well

My Blog

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:10 am 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

I have a St. Gregory hymnal. :fyi:

I don't think there is any hope of a change in music at my parish church. Our organist quit due to health problems. We have someone who leads the music, if singing out above everybody else counts as leading. (She was classically trained, which is not a help to the rest of us.) A parishioner strums his guitar to help us along a bit, but nobody but me seems to know how to sing along with a guitar. Forget staying in time, or on pitch with those folks. They aren't going to give up the only songs they know. :crying:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:23 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
Has anyone seen the Vatican Hymnal...a parish I went to had that. It had the ordinary, with the new translation on one side, and Latin on the other...and it had all of the readings, Responsorial Psalms AND Graduals for each year, and all the SUNG propers (with their music) for all Sundays and major feasts...it used the Chabanel psalms :shock:

http://www.ccwatershed.org/vatican/

That is what I saw. I didn't see it, but it also (apparently) has the Ordinary for the EF as well

I've seen it briefly, in someone else's hands. :fyi:

Your description is accurate, I think, except I didn't know about the Graduals. The sung propers are a new project of setting the English translations to plainchant. I haven't looked at them super closely, but I had a favorable quick first impression, as I recall.

The main knock on it is that it doesn't have a very wide selection of hymns, so parishes that are not ready to move seriously toward using the propers on a very regular basis might be disappointed. But it seems like a very good project.