Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Hand dancing...?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:26 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic soon
I'm sure that's not at all the right term, but ah, well.

So, I've started going to daily Mass now (except Tuesdays and Thursdays, when I have class at the same time as Mass), and I've figured out the way "my" parish does things. Every fortnight, one of the classes at the parish school "hosts" the Friday Mass, doing the singing, etc. So, that's all fine and dandy. But, during both of the school-hosted Masses I have been to, during the Psalm and the Sanctus, six girls went onto the sanctuary steps and started doing these weird arm motions. It wasn't sign language, it was some kind of arm dancing. Just wondering, is that really allowed? I wouldn't normally question the pastor's judgment, but I've read that liturgical dance is verboten at the Holy Sacrifice, and I'm wondering if this falls under that head. Thank you for your time! :D

Post subject: Re: Hand dancing...?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:28 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
:x

Post subject: Re: Hand dancing...?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:10 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Roman Catholic
Sinty wrote:
I'm sure that's not at all the right term, but ah, well.

So, I've started going to daily Mass now (except Tuesdays and Thursdays, when I have class at the same time as Mass), and I've figured out the way "my" parish does things. Every fortnight, one of the classes at the parish school "hosts" the Friday Mass, doing the singing, etc. So, that's all fine and dandy. But, during both of the school-hosted Masses I have been to, during the Psalm and the Sanctus, six girls went onto the sanctuary steps and started doing these weird arm motions. It wasn't sign language, it was some kind of arm dancing. Just wondering, is that really allowed? I wouldn't normally question the pastor's judgment, but I've read that liturgical dance is verboten at the Holy Sacrifice, and I'm wondering if this falls under that head. Thank you for your time! :D

This is called Liturgical Dance. If you google this you will find lots of pics.
I don't know where you are located, but in the USA it is not allowed within Mass.

This whole webpage is worth a read:
http://www.ewtn.com/library/liturgy/zlitur52.htm
Quote:
Q: Is so-called liturgical dancing allowed in English-speaking countries where traditionally dancing is not regarded as culturally proper? Can it be carried out during solemn occasions such as the celebration of the Mass? — F.Y., Auckland, New Zealand

A: The document that comes closest to being an official commentary on this theme hails from an essay published by the official organ of the then Congregation for the Sacraments and Divine Worship, Notitiae, 11 (1975) 202-205.
Dancing and worship

The dance has never been made an integral part of the official worship of the Latin Church.

If local churches have accepted the dance, sometimes even in the church building, that was on the occasion of feasts in order to manifest sentiments of joy and devotion. But that always took place outside of liturgical services.

Conciliar decisions have often condemned the religious dance because it conduces little to worship and because it could degenerate into disorders.