Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]   
Author Message
 Post subject: First Communion
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:21 am 
Offline
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 4069
Location: Vogelenzang, The Netherlands
Religion: Catholic
Today I went to Mass at a parish which usually takes great care about the liturgy. It was a First Communion service. The Eucharistic Prayer did not sound familiar to me, and the Gloria, Sanctus and Agnus Dei had been replaced by other hymns. Is this permitted in services for children?

_________________
A teacher who is not dogmatic is simply a teacher who is not teaching. (G.K. Chesterton)

It is to idols that men turned (and turn) for quick and literal answers. (J.R.R. Tolkien)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First Communion
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:51 am 
Offline
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:38 am
Posts: 3646
Location: Britain
I think that it is NOT permitted, because the Liturgy follows a certain rhythm...but, I'm not surprised it happened. Here First Communion services are like that...the reason given is to 'keep it light and easily accessible for all those parents and relatives who don't normally go to church' :nooo:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First Communion
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:09 pm 
Offline
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 4069
Location: Vogelenzang, The Netherlands
Religion: Catholic
The rhythm was preserved, but the content slightly changed. For instance, in place of the Agnus Dei was a Lamb of God-themed song. The Sanctus was more difficult to connect. The Eucharistic Prayer was recognizable as such, though interspersed with song and perhaps not officially approved.

_________________
A teacher who is not dogmatic is simply a teacher who is not teaching. (G.K. Chesterton)

It is to idols that men turned (and turn) for quick and literal answers. (J.R.R. Tolkien)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First Communion
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:18 pm 
Offline
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:10 am
Posts: 29694
Location: Firin' up my still
Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: CDoA, SSVdP
Was it sung versions of the prayers or actual hymns?

For instance, we use these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiXSb14AWH8

_________________
Living life on prayers and hooks and needles...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First Communion
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:06 pm 
Offline
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 4069
Location: Vogelenzang, The Netherlands
Religion: Catholic
They were real hymns.

_________________
A teacher who is not dogmatic is simply a teacher who is not teaching. (G.K. Chesterton)

It is to idols that men turned (and turn) for quick and literal answers. (J.R.R. Tolkien)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First Communion
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:17 am 
Offline
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 4069
Location: Vogelenzang, The Netherlands
Religion: Catholic
By the way, the children also brought everything to the altar during the offering of the gifts, including candles. I suppose that's not allowed either?

_________________
A teacher who is not dogmatic is simply a teacher who is not teaching. (G.K. Chesterton)

It is to idols that men turned (and turn) for quick and literal answers. (J.R.R. Tolkien)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First Communion
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:48 am 
Offline
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2002 8:54 am
Posts: 36668
Location: Ad Mariam, America!
Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Turgonian wrote:
By the way, the children also brought everything to the altar during the offering of the gifts, including candles. I suppose that's not allowed either?

Personally I would not dwell on it. If we make a catalogue of all the liturgical abuses that take place during First Holy Communion Masses ... well, there's probably not a printer in the world who has the capacity to print it. And in my experience there are also plenty of things that happen during such Masses that aren't abuses, just tasteless.

_________________
"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First Communion
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:13 am 
Offline
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 8174
Location: New York State
Religion: Catholic
I feel your pain. I happen to believe that my parish has the most beautiful, reverent, and faithful-to-the-girm OF mass in the county. But our First Communion Masses are atrocious. To be fair, there aren't as many changes as what you had - the necessary elements were all there, and recognizable. But whatever parts were extra, or unique to the first communion, were just really hard to handle. I think our pastor is in a very tough position. The religious ed program is suffering greatly, and it is really hard to find people willing to teach the classes. If he alienates the couple of people who HAVE stepped forward, and who are the ones planning the details of the FHC Mass, then what will he have left? Furthermore, many of the parents of these communicants are not familiar with church, and don't seem to be very familiar with good decorum in general. I know he is pained to try to welcome these children to the sacraments and to draw their families in in whatever little way he can. It's a tough, tough situation. Because my church otherwise does a very good job at a faithful, holy, Mass, I give them a pass on the First Communion Mass. If I am ever in a position to make a positive difference, I will, but I try to to sweat it otherwise (except for the years when my own child is receiving, and then I grieve the situation).

OTOH, my former parish has terrible First Communion Masses as well, but their FHC Mass is reflective of their philosophy as a whole. Rather than being an anomaly, the FHC Mass at this church is simply a little further down the scale of problematic than the rest of the happenings at the parish. That one was much more disturbing to me, and was the catalyst for our leaving that parish for our current one.

My point is - I would worry less about it if it is an anomaly in a parish which has otherwise faithful liturgies.

_________________
"Do not think that I have come to bring peace on earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man's foes will be those of his own household." - Mt 10:34-36
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
"The future of the world passes through the family." - John Paul II


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First Communion
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:33 am 
Offline
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:18 pm
Posts: 8298
Location: Just visiting this planet.
Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
What you're describing sounds kind of like the Mass of Renewal, which is frequently used at my home parish and the parish that I occasionally visit when I have to go to Mass on Sunday evening (my parish doesn't offer that time).

The publisher's website has audio clips; do these sound familiar? http://www.ocp.org/newmasssettings/newsettings/massofrenewal

There's also some clips on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bpQzIaHbUM

I especially love the Gloria http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqCgCXJzE34 and the Agnus Dei http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln6nQ3KI8sI&feature=related arrangements.

_________________
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." --Douglas Adams

Image

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First Communion
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:39 am 
Offline
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:10 am
Posts: 29694
Location: Firin' up my still
Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: CDoA, SSVdP
ghall512 wrote:
What you're describing sounds kind of like the Mass of Renewal, which is frequently used at my home parish and the parish that I occasionally visit when I have to go to Mass on Sunday evening (my parish doesn't offer that time).

The publisher's website has audio clips; do these sound familiar? http://www.ocp.org/newmasssettings/newsettings/massofrenewal

There's also some clips on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bpQzIaHbUM

I especially love the Gloria http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqCgCXJzE34 and the Agnus Dei http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln6nQ3KI8sI&feature=related arrangements.


that looks like some sort of community choir rehearsal, not a Mass and certainly does not look like a Church :shock:

_________________
Living life on prayers and hooks and needles...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First Communion
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:41 am 
Offline
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:10 am
Posts: 29694
Location: Firin' up my still
Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: CDoA, SSVdP
ThyKingdomCome wrote:
I feel your pain. I happen to believe that my parish has the most beautiful, reverent, and faithful-to-the-girm OF mass in the county. But our First Communion Masses are atrocious. To be fair, there aren't as many changes as what you had - the necessary elements were all there, and recognizable. But whatever parts were extra, or unique to the first communion, were just really hard to handle. I think our pastor is in a very tough position. The religious ed program is suffering greatly, and it is really hard to find people willing to teach the classes. If he alienates the couple of people who HAVE stepped forward, and who are the ones planning the details of the FHC Mass, then what will he have left? Furthermore, many of the parents of these communicants are not familiar with church, and don't seem to be very familiar with good decorum in general. I know he is pained to try to welcome these children to the sacraments and to draw their families in in whatever little way he can. It's a tough, tough situation. Because my church otherwise does a very good job at a faithful, holy, Mass, I give them a pass on the First Communion Mass. If I am ever in a position to make a positive difference, I will, but I try to to sweat it otherwise (except for the years when my own child is receiving, and then I grieve the situation).

OTOH, my former parish has terrible First Communion Masses as well, but their FHC Mass is reflective of their philosophy as a whole. Rather than being an anomaly, the FHC Mass at this church is simply a little further down the scale of problematic than the rest of the happenings at the parish. That one was much more disturbing to me, and was the catalyst for our leaving that parish for our current one.

My point is - I would worry less about it if it is an anomaly in a parish which has otherwise faithful liturgies.


Thing is, the volunteers teaching a class are not in charge of "planning the details" of any Mass. The Church has already planned the Mass, the Pastor decides the things that are optional (what hymns or Mass setting to use, time of the Mass, etc.)

_________________
Living life on prayers and hooks and needles...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First Communion
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:43 am 
Offline
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:18 pm
Posts: 8298
Location: Just visiting this planet.
Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
kage_ar wrote:
ghall512 wrote:
What you're describing sounds kind of like the Mass of Renewal, which is frequently used at my home parish and the parish that I occasionally visit when I have to go to Mass on Sunday evening (my parish doesn't offer that time).

The publisher's website has audio clips; do these sound familiar? http://www.ocp.org/newmasssettings/newsettings/massofrenewal

There's also some clips on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bpQzIaHbUM

I especially love the Gloria http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqCgCXJzE34 and the Agnus Dei http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln6nQ3KI8sI&feature=related arrangements.


that looks like some sort of community choir rehearsal, not a Mass and certainly does not look like a Church :shock:


I think it's a demo video, Kage, giving samples of the music. I could be wrong, though, and it could be a start-up mission parish, j/s.

_________________
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." --Douglas Adams

Image

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]   


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Jump to: