Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 3   [ 42 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:18 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Eastern Orthodox
Quote:
Bottom line is, that putting it in the vernacular makes the Mass seem too boring and ordinary, which is why most Catholics never attend, and are practical atheists.

For some; for others, such as my wife, a liturgy in Greek is as boring as it can get, and a Latin Mass I took her to was equally boring. When it's in English and she can sing along, she pays total attention. I myself don't mind traditional languages and would like for a liturgy to have about 25% traditional language, but more than that turns the average person (especially converts) off and is a barrier to mission (which I hate to admit since I love liturgy in Greek).

Post subject: Re: English chant
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:17 pm 
Majesty
Majesty

Tridentine wrote:
TP wrote:
It is a way to ease people from Glory and praise to something a little, a litttle... ah, a little, Hmmm a little more.. Sacred.

I admire this, but why turn it into english?

Actually, people heard St. Peter speak in their own language on the Pentecost!

On solemnities such as the Solemnity of St. Peter and Paul Pope Benedict XVI uses the Roman Missal in Latin, third edition, by the way. I am not a musician, but you may hear more beautiful songs such as Russian (or is it Slavonic?).

His mother said to his servants, "Do whatever he tells you." (John 2:5)

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 3   [ 42 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3