Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: For anyone who wants to learn the Traditional Latin Mass
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:38 pm 

For anyone who wants to familiarize themselves and learn the Traditional Latin Mass, I found this to be a wonderful resource.
I downloaded it and listened to it while following along in my missal. It’s the whole Mass with the propers (readings) of the Mass from “Trinity Sunday”.
I download the “Full Mass”

http://www.latinmassireland.org/thelati ... audio.html

Another link that was very helpful was this simple interlineal Latin/ English page

http://rickmk.com/Mass/masstext.html

These links are to the “Propers”of the day

http://angelqueen.org/missal/

http://uvoc.org/Propers/Propers_2009/Pr ... endar.html

Last edited by jpy15026 on Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: For anyone who wants to learn the Traditional Latin Mass
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:29 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: CSP
I knew if I dug deep enough I would find this.

Might I recommend adding this to the resource sticky?

Thank you for taking the time to post these.

:cloud9:

My wife and I have all but given up on the NO and are going in "blind" starting with Mass tomorrow. Pray for us.

Appeals to personal subjectivity on a matter of objective right is as much a category mistake as claiming that the number 3 is taller than the color blue. - Dr. Francis Beckwith

EENS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:59 pm 

Another great Site:

http://www.sanctamissa.org/en/tutorial/ ... day-1.html

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:38 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

That is awesome. It has little video clips.

Thanks again.

Appeals to personal subjectivity on a matter of objective right is as much a category mistake as claiming that the number 3 is taller than the color blue. - Dr. Francis Beckwith

EENS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:40 am 

Latin Missal Quick Start
This was difficult for me but after a few Masses and some research it became very easy.
Around the middle of your missal is the “Main” part of the missal that you primarily use during the Liturgy. I put the "Red" ribbon marker there. It begins with the sign of the cross and you just follow along at a "medium" pace reading the missal and follow Father as he prays the Liturgy in Latin.
After the sign of the cross, he recites Psalm 42...Judica Me, then the Confiteor, (His public confession), then the server recites the Confiteor, representing us (our public confession) then the Priest goes up to the Altar as it says in the missal.
The way the missal is used is; you flip from the “Main “part of the Mass to the “Propers of the day” then back again to the “main” section. The “Propers” being, The Introit, Collect, Epistle, Gradual, Gospel, Preface, and Communion verses. The Propers change but not the main “Order of the Mass”
After Father goes up to the Altar he goes to the "Epistle" side (The right side) to read the Introit and that's our cue to flip to the propers of the day to the "Introit" That’s where I place my "green" ribbon marker. There are many “visual cues” if you try to be aware of Fathers movements and many audible cues, “Dominus Vobiscum” (The Lord Be with You) “Oremus (Let us Pray) servers responses, and of course the “bells” at the "Sanctus (Holy,Holy,Holy) and at the Elevations.
After the Introit ,you hear Father pray the "Kyrie Elison",then the Gloria, you just keep reading along as he is reciting in Latin, you eventually learn the pace that Father goes ,so after a few Masses you follow along pretty easily. After the Gloria, it’s time to flip to the “green" marker again and read the 'Collects" for the day, then the Epistle is read, followed by the "Gradual”.
Then Father then goes to the "Left "side of the altar to read the Gospel and when done Father goes to the Ambo and reads the Epistle and The Gospel in English and gives announcements and a "Sermon" After the Sermon the Credo is said (back to the Red ribbon)
Then comes the next part of the Mass "The Mass of the Faithful" Most of the rest of the mass is in the main red ribbon section except for the Preface (I put my Purple marker there) and the Communion verses. If you just read along the English parts in the missal and be aware of the "cues" after a few Liturgys you'll be a pro. You will be “Praying the Mass” following Father as he is Praying the Mass in Latin.
Some just use their Missal for the “Main” part of the Mass; others flip only to the Epistle and Gospel readings to follow along but not to the other propers for the day. I love my Missal and use it to Pray every part of the Mass. As far as standing, sitting, kneeling, just follow what everyone else does, this also will come natural after a while.
This is a very rough and abbreviated explanation but it will at least get you started on what's going on. My first Latin Mass was totally strange to me and I thought I would never go again but after I understood it, it is "The most beautiful thing this side of Heaven."
I downloaded the “Full Mass” from the link below and put it on my mp3 player, to “practice” and tune my ear to the Latin. I followed along reading my missal while listening to it and it really helped me.
The readings (Propers) are from Trinity Sunday (The first Sunday after Pentecost) in your missal. (Baronius Missal page 738, Angelus Missal; page 696)

http://www.latinmassireland.org/thelati ... audio.html

Propers for Sundays, Feast Days and Holy Days can be found here
http://uvoc.org/Propers/Propers_2008..._Calendar.html

Weekday Propers are found in the front of the Missal in the “The Liturgical Calendar”

Hope this helps someone to understand what an absolute treasure our Catholic Mass Missal is.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:55 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

High Mass "cheat sheet"

Asperges-stand
Prayers before the altar-kneel
Gloria*-stand
Epistle*-sit
Gospel-stand
Sermon-sit
Credo*-stand
Offertory-sit
Preface-stand
Sanctus-kneel
Pater Noster-stand
Agnus Dei-kneel
Ite Missa est-stand
Final blessing-kneel
Last Gospel-stand

*[Denniston Edit]One usually sits after the priest finishes his Gloria at the altar, then stands for the Collect, and sits again at the Epistle. Likewise, one sits for the Credo once the priest finishes his Credo at the altar.

Low Mass "cheat sheet"1

Stand as the priest enters
Kneel when the Prayers at the Foot begin
Stand for the Gospel.
(Sit for the Sermon)2
Kneel* for the Creed. (*Though it is very common, though not universal custom, to stand)
Sit/kneel for the Offertory
Kneel from the Sanctus until the last Gospel.
Stand for the last Gospel.

1[PED provided this]

2(My pedantic addition)

And now, by way of Fr. Z, recorded Latin responses from the 1950s. :

http://www.archive.org/details/HowToServeLowMass

On postures during Mass:

http://www.holyrosaryindy.org/sermon-postures.html

A FAQ about the Mass:

http://www.holyrosaryindy.org/questions.html

EENS

Last edited by Charles07 on Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:42 am, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:24 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Charles07 wrote:
High Mass "cheat sheet"

Asperges-stand
Prayers before the altar-kneel
Gloria-stand
Epistle-sit
Gospel-stand
Sermon-sit
Credo-stand
Offertory-sit
Preface-stand
Sanctus-kneel
Pater Noster-stand
Agnus Dei-kneel
Ite Missa est-stand
Final blessing-kneel
Last Gospel-stand

One usually sits after the priest finishes his Gloria at the altar, then stands for the Collect, and sits again at the Epistle. Likewise, one sits for the Credo once the priest finishes his Credo at the altar.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:45 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Thank you!

Keep the information coming!

EENS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:32 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

OK....I have a question.

My parish celebrates a 'Tridentine Mass' at one of our mass times. Is that the same as the Latin Mass? I know I should know this. I sound silly for even asking. :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:51 pm 
Adept
Adept

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus 4th Degree
CandaceF981 wrote:
OK....I have a question.

My parish celebrates a 'Tridentine Mass' at one of our mass times. Is that the same as the Latin Mass? I know I should know this. I sound silly for even asking. :oops:

Candace,
Yes, the Tridentine Mass is in Latin, but not all Latin Masses are Tridentine. The Novus Ordo Mass (the one that has been used since about 1970) can also be celebrated in Latin. I've been to both Tridentine Latin Masses and Novus Ordo Latin Masses.

For you love all things that are, and hate none of the things which you have made: for you did not appoint, or make anything hating it. Wisdom 11:25

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:11 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
It is true, however (right or wrong), that people use the term "Latin Mass" as synonymous with the Tridentine or traditional Mass. The new Mass in Latin is rarer than the traditional Latin Mass in my experience.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:29 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

And now, by way of Fr. Z:

Recorded Latin responses from the 1950s.

http://www.archive.org/details/HowToServeLowMass

Plus, I added some helpful links farther up in this thread in the "cheat sheet" post.

EENS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:14 am 

Church Affiliations: Conf. SP
My wife and I have all but given up on the NO and are going in "blind" starting with Mass tomorrow.

I recall when I returned to the traditional mass after years of NO. I felt overwhelmed and it was hard for me to hold
back the tears. I saw a young family walk up the center isle. Trailing behind was the youngest, a 3 year old,
with her hands held in prayer, and an embroidered white kerchief on her head. Her gaze was downward.
I couldn't resist, but as an old grandfather of two like her, I couldn't resist catching her eye and giving her a wink.

Her reaction was that she was being disturbed, turning slightly to avoid my gaze, and I was duly reprimanded with her glare for my conduct. I thought, "Yes!, Finally home. These are truly Catholics of my past, what devotion, what an example of a devout Catholic we could all learn from". She will certainly become a model Catholic. Hats off to the parents.

I know that our Lord is immensely pleased by this liturgy and ritual, but somehow I think this little girl gave
him an added lift and surely made His day.

You will be transcended with the Gregorian, and if you come early enough, the low pleas of the Rosary recited by
a group of regulars in one section of the Church will draw you to add your own. It had me reminiscing those days kneeling with my mum in front of the old tube Philips radio reciting along with the broadcast.

The homily will be no more of the ambiguous politically correct, "put it in your own context" type, but will be more to the point. At times it will be humbling and down right scary, as well it should be, the confession lineup proof of it's effect. Good stuff!.

"Really, sometimes I think when it's too quiet up there you say to yourself, "What kind of mischief can I play on my friend Tevia" - Fiddler on the Roof

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:24 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
Now only if there were a parish near by that celebrated the TLM. :(