Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Questions about the rubrics of lectors
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:54 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Some things that I noticed the lay lector doing during Mass today had me confounded.

After processing in with the servers and priest, he remained in the sanctuary during the introductory rites.

After the first and second readings and during the Gospel he still remained in the sanctuary and during the homily he went back to the sanctuary.

After the homily and during the Liturgy of the Eucharist he remained in the sanctuary still. HE kneeled down on the steps in front of the altar during the Eucharistic prayer.

And then after communion he took the Gospel off of the ambo and processed out with the priest and servers after Mass was dimissed.

Is this correct?

Formerly "A Ring Bearer"

Post subject: Re: Questions about the rubrics of lectors
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:36 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Was he actually a lector (instituted ministry) or was he a lay substitute (e.g. only men can be lectors). At least institute lectors may be vested and process in and recess out with the rest of the servers/ministers/clergy

In the Dominican Rite, an acolyte carried the Missal in for a low Mass. This was also an option in the old Roman rite. I would think it would be something analogous. Though carrying the Gospel (if in a distinct book than the rest of the lectionary) would belong to a deacon, I would think.

My Blog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:54 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Ιασων wrote:
Was he actually a lector (instituted ministry) or was he a lay substitute (e.g. only men can be lectors). At least institute lectors may be vested and process in and recess out with the rest of the servers/ministers/clergy

In the Dominican Rite, an acolyte carried the Missal in for a low Mass. This was also an option in the old Roman rite. I would think it would be something analogous. Though carrying the Gospel (if in a distinct book than the rest of the lectionary) would belong to a deacon, I would think.

He appeared to be nothing more than a lay lector, as I am.

Formerly "A Ring Bearer"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:24 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Mithrandir wrote:
Ιασων wrote:

What do you mean by lay lector? After Ministeria Quaedam, lector became an instituted ministry. It is a lay ministry (as one becomes a cleric with deacon under current law), and open only to men.

Do you mean that you have this lay ministry, or do you mean that you substitute in for this ministry, as an altar boy substitutes for an acolyte?

My Blog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:34 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Ιασων wrote:
Mithrandir wrote:
Ιασων wrote:

What do you mean by lay lector? After Ministeria Quaedam, lector became an instituted ministry. It is a lay ministry (as one becomes a cleric with deacon under current law), and open only to men.

Do you mean that you have this lay ministry, or do you mean that you substitute in for this ministry, as an altar boy substitutes for an acolyte?

In my parish I serve as a lay lector. In our parish we have women lectors as well as men. It's not that I received any formal training for the ministry other than a workbook following the Lectionary schedule for the year with tips and suggestions for the readings.

So I guess I would say that it is a lay ministry. It is not a substitution for an official lector, the parish is too small for that I think. We have two deacons serving the parish and when present at Mass they do read the Gospel.

Anyway he was not dressed as a decon or priest would be at a Sunday Mass, or even as the servers were; that is to say he was in plain clothes.

Formerly "A Ring Bearer"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:43 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

No, it is precisely acting as a substitute for an actual lector. Lector is an instituted ministry, just as acolyte is. Some of the functions of the lector can be delegated to other lay persons, which we then, not so accurately, call lectors thus causing the confusion of terms we seen now ;).

The GIRM states

99. The lector is instituted to proclaim the readings from Sacred Scripture, with the exception of the Gospel. He may also announce the intentions for the Universal Prayer and, in the absence of a psalmist, recite the Psalm between the readings.

In the celebration of the Eucharist, the lector has his own proper function (cf. nos. 194-198), which he himself must carry out.

101. In the absence of an instituted lector, other lay people may be deputed to proclaim the readings from Sacred Scripture, people who are truly suited to carrying out this function and carefully prepared, so that by their hearing the readings from the sacred texts the faithful may conceive in their hearts a sweet and living affection for Sacred Scripture.[85]

Introductory Rites

194. In the procession to the altar, in the absence of a Deacon, the reader, wearing approved attire, may carry the Book of the Gospels, slightly elevated. In that case, the reader walks in front of the Priest but otherwise walks along with the other ministers.

195. Upon reaching the altar, the reader makes a profound bow with the others. If he is carrying the Book of the Gospels, he approaches the altar and places the Book of the Gospels upon it. Then the reader takes his own place in the sanctuary with the other ministers.

The Liturgy of the Word

196. The reader reads from the ambo the readings that precede the Gospel. In the absence of a psalmist, the reader may also proclaim the Responsorial Psalm after the First Reading.

197. In the absence of a Deacon, the reader, after the introduction by the Priest, may announce the intentions of the Universal Prayer from the ambo.

198. If there is no singing at the Entrance or at Communion and the antiphons given in the Missal are not recited by the faithful, the reader may read them at an appropriate time (cf. nos. 48, 87).

(note in the latin the word for lector and reader is the same. In general, in official documents in English, lector refers to the instituted ministry, available only to men, and reader refers to what you are doing. So I would presume the choice of translation here is interpretative)

It could be argued that only those functions explicitly mentioned in 101 can be given a lay reader. Just as an altar boy is not an extraordinary minister of communion (merely by being an altar boy), but an acolyte is and similarily for other functions

My Blog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:06 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

So then I gather from the GIRM that he technically conducted himself in accord with the GIRM?

I just assumed that it was inappropriate for a lay person, even if they be a cantor or reader, to not be in the pews for the homily.

Also I thought that there was a doctrinal reason to leave the Gospel open on the ambo all the way through the end of Mass and even as the presider and other ministers process out.

Formerly "A Ring Bearer"