Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: is this normal?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:50 am 

Religion: Catholic
Hi,

Happy new year!
I attended a Come & See over the Christmas holiday and met a friend who came there for the same purpose. The vocation director there accepted him to join the religious order after about 30 min talking with him. However, the guy came home and called me and said that he wasn't sure about this. I could only tell him to pray and be patient; I can't tell him to go or not to go because it is not my position to say so. I don't know what I should tell him...but be honestly, I would like to tell him ...he should take time to discern and pray.

The things that concern me, and I am not sure if some religious orders do this or not, is that the Vocation Director did not have any formal psychology testing, no application filled out, no health record. This makes me feel like the order really is hurry in accepting students.

For myself, I am still taking my time to discern; I like the order; however, the process seems to be not thorough and I am not sure this is a good thing for myself and the order.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: is this normal?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:33 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
It does seem odd.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:50 am 

For a bit more information, the order is made up of only immigrants and their mission is focusing mainly on the people of their country (although they serve other people too). The order is poor and the students will pay 100% of the education until they either become a brother or priest then the Order will pay off their loan.

I don't feel comfortable asking the Vocation Director about my concern; however, I will have a chance to meet those in this religious order who are studying for priesthood in another city and will ask them about it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:26 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

This seems odd. Questions to ask: 1. Is the order really "official?" You can call the diocese in which it has its US headquarters and ask this question. There are some flakey orders out there. 2. What is the drop-out rate? Make them be specific. 3. Where do they send their students? If it isn't a recognized seminary or university, think twice. You don't want to go to an "in house" school and then have to pay lots of debts for courses that others don't recognize. 4. The lack of psychological testing, and assembling the required documentation (medical, but also baptismal and confirmation records) raises suspicion. I have never known an order that would do that.

Generally, when visiting an order, you should feel free to ask questions. They should encourage you to ask questions. And you should get answers. If an order seems evasive, dismissive of your concerns or doing anything shoddy, TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS. Pray, discern, and investigate.

If you wish, you can send me a personal message on this site. I'd be very curious to hear about this order.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:07 pm 

They are an official order. I'll send you private message for details.