Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: So confused
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:05 pm 

Religion: Catholic
Hi everyone,

Right now I'm discerning on whether or not I should continue my studies in Theology. I felt a very strong calling to leave my comfortable life as a marketer and serve Him. However, I have to be realistic here. I'm not sure if becoming a nun is my vocation (still discerning about this too), which means I have to find ways to support myself. I honestly don't know what I can do with a Masters degree in Theology.

Other than teaching in a Catholic university or Seminary, is there any other jobs that I can do? Is serving God as a layperson an impossible task to do?

During prayers, I felt that the Holy Spirit keeps on reminding me to not worry and that the worldly things will be provided by Him (in His own mysterious ways) when I seek for His Kingdom. But still, I want to be assured but I don't know how :cry:

Any inputs?

God Bless,

CarmeL

Jesus calls all of us to work in his vineyard where the harvest is abundant but the laborers are few (cf. Mt 9:37). He wants us to preach the Gospel to all nations (cf. Mk 13:10), so let's testify about Christ in www.sharehislove.org

Post subject: Re: So confused
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:30 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Endow facilitator
What does "realistic" mean, anyway? :scratch: If you think about it, basing your degree on where God seems to be leading you is a lot more realistic than basing it on what jobs pay well. Didn't you just say you left a job that pays well in order to serve Him? So ... what's changed? ;-) Remember why you're there.

Talk to a career counsellor and find out what careers are available in Theology if you think it will help alleviate your worries, but don't focus too hard on that--there will be opportunities that you'd never have thought about, that God may put in front of you.

"Do what is necessary, then do what is possible, and soon you'll be doing the impossible." (St. Francis)

Perhaps you could write down a list of your particular worries, concerns, and questions, and ask God to help you find answers to each of them. Write down the answers you get, too--it may help remind you later that God does know what He's doing! :)

Do you have a Spiritual Director? If not, now would probably be a good time to find one. I'd suggest discussing this with them, and especially praying for the strength and faith to do God's Will. It doesn't sound as though you need discernment as much as you need the ability to trust in the Lord. And that's definitely a struggle for most of us human beings! :) :pray:

HTH!
God bless,
--Amy

Post subject: Re: So confused
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:24 am 
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
carmel.ginting wrote:
I honestly don't know what I can do with a Masters degree in Theology.

Other than teaching in a Catholic university or Seminary, is there any other jobs that I can do? Is serving God as a layperson an impossible task to do?

You won't be able to teach at a Catholic university or seminary with a master's degree in theology. That's almost certain--there could be some exceptions, but they're getting more and more rare, and what exceptions there are now tend to be part-time and/or temporary positions, rather than permanent, full-tie positions. There are too many people with PhD/STD's in theology for the jobs that are available, meaning not even every person with a terminal degree in the field is going to get a good job at the college level or higher. So to expect someone with just an MA to be competitive for such jobs is unreasonable. Again, no doubt one could point to certain exceptions, but they're exceptions, and it would unreasonable to expect to become such an exception oneself.

However, there are plenty of jobs available to people with master's degrees in theology. You could teach high school theology (chances are good that you could get a job and then take the required education courses while you're working, rather than needing to do an education degree ahead of time), or you could be a DRE at a parish, or you could get a job in a diocesan office--the respect life office, or something, for example--or you could become a book editor at a Catholic press, or any number of things.

The thing to do right now, I would suggest, is to continue on in your studies, since you seem to think that God called you to them for the time being, and see what doors open up for you. In other words, stop worrying about the future (to whatever extent that's possible) and just focus on being a good student. But that doesn't mean you can't give some consideration to future plans. If you're currently in a graduate program in theology (sounds like you are), then they should have some kind of placement office of some kind. Talk with them and see if they can start pointing you in the right direction. Chances are that they get job opening listings from local parishes and schools and the dioceses around the area. They should post those for their students to see. This will help you get a handle on what the possibilities are.

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.