Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Persecution of straight celibate men
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:57 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Help me out here brothers. Let's be honest, a single man in this world, especially in this culture is looked at strangly and judged rashly quite often I imagine...At least in my case it has been...

Have any of you straight (I'm assuming that's all of you) single men experienced the same persecution, especially while trying to pursue the religious life or priesthood while living a chaste, single life (Oh well, I guess it comes with the territory-one of those small persecutions Our Lord permits. Blessed be God.)

Some of these ecumenists are so preoccupied with Christian unity that they are willing to destroy Catholic unity in the name of Christian unity. - Fr. John Hardon

Post subject: Re: Persecution of straight celibate men
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:21 pm 

Rejoice for Jesus says the kingdom of Heaven is yours!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:41 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
You might well be on the wrong end of misunderstanding and careless rude remarks, but let's reserve the word "persecution" for serious offenses. You aren't being persecuted unless someone deliberately sets out to make your life miserable because you're single.

There were people who said things to me that I found hurtful, but I don't think any of them was deliberately malicious.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:25 pm 
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
I agree with Father. And it's not unique to straight single men. Try going out in public with your 5 kids. :fyi: It's not persecution, though it can feel like a burden. (I don't mean the kids...I mean the looks and the comments. In fact, even the positive attention, which we do get sometimes, usually from sweet older ladies, can be a bit of a burden.) We've all got stuff to deal with. :pray:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:57 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

:iws

:fyi: I'm fat and trust me, I get remarks every time I eat ANYTHING in public (not always to my face, but I've heard people go 'Look at that, isn't it disgusting for her to eat that! Even if it was a dry bread roll :nooo: !) I was also single until I was 28...and did get remarks like when I was finally going to get hitched, whether I had ever had a boyfriend and such...but it never bothered me. So, yeah...persecution, bad choice of words...but I know what you mean!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:52 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
gherkin wrote:
I agree with Father. And it's not unique to straight single men. Try going out in public with your 5 kids. :fyi: It's not persecution, though it can feel like a burden. (I don't mean the kids...I mean the looks and the comments. In fact, even the positive attention, which we do get sometimes, usually from sweet older ladies, can be a bit of a burden.) We've all got stuff to deal with. :pray:

I think after three is when the "line" is crossed where people think it's OK to start giving looks. Unless you're downtown where no one has more than two and heterosexuals are often outnumbered. But I agree with Father. Looks and comments are one thing. Having words with someone is another. And actually being persecuted is still another.

Having met my children I would rather bear the cross of the looks and comments than the cross of never having known and loved them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:49 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Would it be ok if we all just put these people in headlocks and moderately bodyslam them? :scratch:

Maybe there's something on this in the Summa?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:15 pm 

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
PDUBYA wrote:
Would it be ok if we all just put these people in headlocks and moderately bodyslam them? :scratch:

St. Thomas clearly comes down on the side of the moderate bodyslam. :fyi:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:29 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

gherkin wrote:
PDUBYA wrote:

St. Thomas clearly comes down on the side of the moderate bodyslam. :fyi:

::): Good comeback.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:01 am 

Church Affiliations: Conf. SP
In my case rarely, usually because someone can't come up with something constructively spiteful. It's pitiful to witness but I usually can't resist a laugh. It contributes to a good day of sport.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:08 am 

Religion: Nilll
Oh heck yah. My friend's family all think I am a homosexual. I've been celibate going on 8 years - -I guess because I am clean-cut, have good personal hygiene and am decent looking - - yet don't have a gal-friend that qualifies me as a homosexual. People can be very ignorant. They do not understand the celibate life. In the world, a single guy is supposed to be playing the field as they say. Not for us. We see life differently, and in 2014 the lusty world just don't get it.