Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Is life always going to be full of "what ifs"
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:00 pm 

Religion: Catholic
Hi all,
i've spent the last few years on a a kind of vocation journey that took me from my job to entering the noviciate of a religious order to leaving that last summer.
I still dont know what direction i'm going. my issue is that a couple of weeks back i met a girl that i like, and she's interested in me. If i wasnt discerning a vocation there'd be no obstacle to going out with her.
But i dont know what I'm doing. I meet up with a spiritual guide every so often who said to me that maybe i should let the idea of priesthood drift away, and if it is God's calling for me that it'll come back.
I never found myself trusting girls before, that sounds crazy, i know. I just always met girls in niteclubs etc and never relaxed. I mean, i'm no different to anyone else, just that, i dont know, there doesnt seem to a place for someone like me in the world. Everyone chases different things that i've no interest in. I always seem to be waiting for something more to happen in my life, something greater as in closer to God. I dunno how to explain myself.
Anyway, I've met girls i liked and never wanted to do anything about it cos i was thinking about religious life at the the time. Now I feel bad because this girl is giving every hint to me to ask her out, and we get on great, but I just cant bring myself to go down that road cos its like tearing myself away from a vocation I think is there but just cant find.
I'm meeting her tomorrow and had decided to ask her out, but I just cant mess her around like I'm using her as some kind of tool to help me discern. I suppose i just answered my own question and probably need to discern more.
I know i said a lot about girls but i have the minimum of experience that way. i suppose its often in the back of my mind that my sense of vocation isnt strong enough to overcome doubts that i'm closing out girls without ever having been attached to one.
Anyway, thanks for listening...

Post subject: Re: Is life always going to be full of "what ifs"
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:29 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

:pray:

The image of the Mother of God demonstrates the basic spiritual attitude which corresponds to woman’s natural vocation; her relation to her husband is one of obedience, trust, and participation in his life as she furthers his objective tasks and personality development; to the child she gives true care, encouragement, and formation of his God-given talents; she offers both selfless surrender and a quiet withdrawal when unneeded. -
Edith Stein

Formerly Sunmumy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:17 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Listen to your spiritual director. You have tried religious life and for some reason it didn't work out. Maybe you should now try dating, and see how that goes. Just be honest with her; she deserves no less.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:03 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Is she Catholic? Can you explain to her where you are in your discernment process? :pray: for you.

Peace,
Linda

Roma locutus est, causa finita est.

For DCF children Image