Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: LATE VOCATION
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:17 pm 

Religion: CATHOLIC
CAN ANY ONE TELL ME A LIST OF CONGREGATIONS THAT ACCEPT LATE VOCATIONS PLEASE.
GOD BLESS

Post subject: Re: LATE VOCATION
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:03 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Roman Catholic
We may need more information to help you. What age? Male or female?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:46 pm 

I AM A LATE VOCATION AND WILL BE 40 ON THE FEAST OF MOUNT CARMEL. YES I AM A MALE AND HAVE DONE MY ONE YEAR DIPLOMA IN SACRED THEOLOGY WITH SPECIALIZATION IN MARIOLOGY.
THANKS AND GOD BLESS.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:49 pm 

I WOULD BE OBLIGED IF THE CONCERNED REVERENED WOULD CONTACT ME ON FIRSTTABERNACLE@CATHOLIC.ORG ( all caps ). I could give more details as and when asked for.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:19 am 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
I would think that they all accept "late" vocations. The usual advice is to seek direction from a priest.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:33 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Some orders do have maximum age cutoffs.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:25 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

My understanding is that men's communities are less likely to have age cut-offs than women's communities. Further, a number of communities will consider people who are older than the age limit if they have reason to think the person may have a genuine vocation to their community.

I second the suggestion to talk to a spiritual director if possible. You should discern first whether/where God may be calling you, what charism, what type of community, etc. Then you can look at individual communities and think about things like age limits.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:18 am 
Middle Management
Middle Management

In my experience, monastic or contemplative communities had more concerns about age than active ones.

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:45 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

I think most active and even some contemplative orders will accept a 40 year old man, but it is usually done one a case to case basis I think. Isn't there even seminaries in the US for late vocations?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:50 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Gerty wrote:
I think most active and even some contemplative orders will accept a 40 year old man, but it is usually done one a case to case basis I think. Isn't there even seminaries in the US for late vocations?

I think Holy Apostles in CT is sort of aimed at older vocations. There might be another.

eta - I just realized I probably shouldn't have posted since I don't know enough about seminaries or anything. Fr Kenobi or someone can correct me. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:44 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Dominicatella wrote:
Gerty wrote:

I think Holy Apostles in CT is sort of aimed at older vocations. There might be another.

sometimes called "Holy Fossils"... :D

Our diocese uses Sacred Heart Seminary in Hales Corner WI, which also specializes in late vocations.

The US Dominican have a cut-off of 35 for the normal recruiting channels, but one can go through the Prior Provincial if over 35, better be a good salesman. Fr Mullady OP (teaches at Holy Apostles) says there are many bishops who will ordain a man of any age, as long as he foots the bill for his own seminary formation.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:54 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

mgross wrote:
Dominicatella wrote:
Gerty wrote:

sometimes called "Holy Fossils"... :D

That's how I remembered the name. :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:57 pm 

Religion: Catholic (Convert)
Church Affiliations: Knight's of Columbus 4th Degr
Many different congregations, and many Dioceses accept late vocations. Certainly the Diocese of Owensboro in Kentucky does. We had a Priest ordained a year ago in May who was 45 (he is assigned to my Parish). He had been a teacher and sports coach for a number of years before entering the Seminary.

The Diocese of San Diego in California was one of the very first to actively seek late vocations. My Pastor in Escondido, CA was a retired Navy Captain, with 7 children. His wife died when he was in his late 40's, and he went to Seminary and became a Priest. I believe he was 53 or 54 when he was ordained.

San Diego began seeking older candidates (delayed vocations) in the 1950's. This was a program begun under Bishop Buddy, and it has never stopped.

If you truly have a call, you can and will, find somewhere that will accept you. I know of religious communities that say they are recruiting men in their 30's, that will actually accept men into their late 40's, 50's and even older, if they have adequate insurance coverage, and retirement funds.

The Trappists will never turn anyone away, if they truly feel the call, unless the person has a mental illness, or is in significant debt, etc. They are NOT looking for people running away from the world.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:15 pm 

Religion: Baptist
What is a late vocation?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:44 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

milby wrote:
What is a late vocation?

Someone who discerns a call to a religious vocation -- in particular to priesthood or to religious life (i.e. to a religious order like the Franciscans or Benedictines, i.e. a nun or a brother) -- at a relatively later point in life than normal. (I'm being vague because I'm not sure where the cutoff for a late vocation would actually be!)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:30 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: As I understand it.....in God's will. This is the best place to be.
Religion: Byzantine Catholic
Church Affiliations: Past Grand Knight KoC 15107
Bonaventure wrote:
In my experience, monastic or contemplative communities had more concerns about age than active ones.

Not true. When I was seeking, I contacted Fr. Groeschel's Franciscan Friars and the minute they heard my age, that was it! He may have problems getting by his age. Just letting you know.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:02 am 
Middle Management
Middle Management

Light of the East wrote:
Bonaventure wrote:

Not true. When I was seeking, I contacted Fr. Groeschel's Franciscan Friars and the minute they heard my age, that was it! He may have problems getting by his age. Just letting you know.

Active orders do often refuse people because of age, I'm not denying that....but monastic orders are usually even more strict on it. When I was visiting monasteries during my discernment, they explained that the shift and change of lifestyle from a layperson to a monastic lifestyle is more drastic than it is for that person to change to an active order's lifestyle and this change just gets harder and harder as one gets older and more set in their ways.

It is hard for an older person to get into any religious order, but from what I was told it is even more difficult to get into a contemplative one. That could have just been the case with the orders I visited though.

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:46 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Max Kolbe wrote:
milby wrote:
What is a late vocation?

Someone who discerns a call to a religious vocation -- in particular to priesthood or to religious life (i.e. to a religious order like the Franciscans or Benedictines, i.e. a nun or a brother) -- at a relatively later point in life than normal. (I'm being vague because I'm not sure where the cutoff for a late vocation would actually be!)
The term often gets used for anyone who didn't go straight from college (at the latest) into formation. I would guess that at least as many do something else for a few years, so "late" could now start to kick in around 30 or so.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:42 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: High Church Lutheran
Church Affiliations: Church of Norway
For a second there I though Dominicatella was back...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:53 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

:cry:

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next