Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Need help dicerning your vocation?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:17 pm 

Religion: Catholic
Try asking for Saint Therese the little flower's intercession with the Novena for a rose. I was struggling deeply trying to discern God's will years ago when I thought I was called to religious life and began to slowly to desire married life, I did a Novena to Therese for a rose if I was called to married life, and long story short, my best friend gave me a single pink rose at the end of the Novena, and years later we ended up becoming more than friends and are now married with three small children. I know praying the novena isn't God's will for everyone but it did help me since I was extremely anxious and afraid of picking the wrong vocation and not doing God's will so I did need a little help at that time hehe.

Post subject: Re: Need help dicerning your vocation?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:53 pm 
Adept
Adept

That is kind of a weird coincidence, the cynic in me has to ask you, did your friend know you had done the Novena for a rose?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:10 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Jerome_2 wrote:
That is kind of a weird coincidence, the cynic in me has to ask you, did your friend know you had done the Novena for a rose?

:wink:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:20 am 

I figured that someone might think that if I didn't go into detail but to clarify it I will go into detail. I visited an order of Franciscan Sisters when I was feeling a call to the religious life. I was so sure that I was not called to the married life, and that to serve God I could only do this in the religious life. While I was staying with the sisters, they helped me to figure out that there were good Holy marriages out there, and that I was just afraid that I wouldn't meet a good man. My mother and father had a very rough marriage that effected how I viewed marriage my whole life. After staying with the sisters, for the first time in my life, I desired to be married. After I flew back home, I remember thinking I felt called to the married life, but that I saw how beautiful the religious life was, and was still a little unsure of what direction God was calling me in. I remembered the Novena for a rose through St. Therese intercession, but never said the Novena before because I had no reason to. This time I felt I really needed help in such a serious matter, and felt that this would be the type of situation I could say the Novena. I began the Novena, I memorized it because I did not want to have any trace of a letter lying around that anyone could see. I did not tell a single soul I started the Novena because if I did receive a rose I wanted to be 100% sure that it was from God and that there would be no doubts. Toward the very last few days of the Novena I attended a Mass during the week day, I saw on the bulletin when I got to Mass it was Saint Therese feast day. I got really excited because I unknowingly started my Novena around her feast day. I thought to myself, this would be really neat if I received a rose today. I knew that would most likely not happen because it would be just way to extraordinary. I didn't receive a rose that day, and the following day I went to work as usual. My best friend usually would stop in to day hi to me and that night when I was closing up the store he said, Hey can I get the keys to your car? I'm thinking uh why? He said I want to put something in there. I gave him the keys to my car and he came back inside the store after he went out to the parking lot and handed me my keys back. I wasn't even thinking of the fact I was saying a novena . What went through my mind is that my friend knew I was struggling interiorly which I am sure came across as severe anxiety to him although he didn't know what I was going through because I kept my struggles with my vocation to myself. I figured ok he knows I have been having a hard time lately he is probably leaving a "Get well" card or something. After he left, and I closed the store I went out to my car and opened my car door and on my drivers seat was a single pink rose. I about freaked out. You see I already prepared for the possibility of receiving a rose by making sure there was 100% no way that anyone would have known I was doing a novena so that in case I got a rose, I couldn't doubt it was from God. I called my friend right after that and told him all about my Novena and how he changed my whole life by that rose. (Meantime he is thinking, okay I am meant to marry her) I am thinking my dream man is out there somewhere in the world. You see even at that time I didn't even once think of my best friend because that is all he ever was to me, I never looked at him as anything else. I even asked him to frame the rose for me with a picture of Saint Therese and the Novena so that on my wedding day I could give it to the man I was going to marry. (He worked at Kinkos.) Now we joke around about how bad I probably made him feel when he was thinking he was going to marry me and I had no clue. He had always liked me but I just didn't feel that way about him. Years passed by after the Novena, and I dated other men, but none of the relationships worked out. I began feeling frustrated because once I knew my vocation I wanted it to start right away! Finally I sat down and wrote in my journal every thing I looked for in a man. I wrote down about 20 things. I said if the next guy doesn't nail every single thing down to a perfect T, than I am not wasting my time. So after writing everything down, I re-read it. It hit me like a ton of bricks. Everything I had just wrote down described my best friend. It had to be Divine Intervention because up until that very moment, I never felt I was called to marry my best friend. So long story short again. We got married. I became pregnant with identical twins. Twins do not run in either of our families. I had an extremely complicated pregnancy. The doctors told me I would lose my twins, and if they managed to survive the pregnancy they would be born so premature that they wouldn't survive the birth, and if they survived the birth they would have such physical or mental health problems, I would have wish they had not survived. (Nice thing to say to a patient huh?) Needless to say I put my faith and trust in God, I prayed for Saint Gerard's intercession and the Divine Mercy. My twins were born at 34 weeks with an apgar rating of 10. We named them Francis and Xavier. They are now two years old and completely healthy. I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever that it was God's will that my husband and I were meant to be together. I would have not had the grace to be so sure of that, had it not been for my Novena =)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:18 pm 
Adept
Adept

That is an excellent story, thanks for sharing.

The bit about going to a week day Mass on Saint Therese's feast day was also quite a coincidence, unless ofcourse you intended to go on her feast day because of the Novena you were praying.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:22 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Traditional Latin Mass Loving Catholic
I recall someone on here, I believe it was Father Kenobi, saying to be careful when asking for signs from Heaven. I would assume Satan is enraged at the thought of men giving up their lives for Christ in His Holy Priesthood. The demons are angels too, and can give signs.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:16 pm 

Saint Florian wrote:
That is an excellent story, thanks for sharing.

The bit about going to a week day Mass on Saint Therese's feast day was also quite a coincidence, unless ofcourse you intended to go on her feast day because of the Novena you were praying.

That just happened to me as well! St. Malachy's had a presentation regarding Saint Therese and a few other Saints in the back of the church. I happened to stroll through them after the weekday Mass and, lo and behold, there was a short description of the Saint along with the date of her feast day!