Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Lay/Third/Secular Orders
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:56 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
Since I am new and trying to get the lay of the land, I thought I would check in and see if there were any members either professed or in formation with a religious order. So, how about it? Anyone a lay brother or sister in the Order of Preachers, in the Secular Franciscan Order, a Benedictine Oblate, etc.? If so, what led you there. If not, is it something you have considered or would be interested in learning more about?

I am fairly convinced that the average faithful Catholic sitting in the pews is not even aware that such things exist.

Pax Vobiscum,

Jason

Post subject: Re: Lay/Third/Secular Orders
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:39 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
you would be correct...i know we have a few here...i'll let them introduce themselves...you just missed one of our members who left to join an order...she's been gone for 3 weeks now ... here was her good bye thread

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=138190

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:41 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Thanks. I'll check the thread out.

Peace,

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:48 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: TOC, KofC
I am a professed Third Order Carmelite.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:11 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Tom Terrific wrote:
I am a professed Third Order Carmelite.

Thanks! I'd love to hear about your journey and what brought you there.

Peace,

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:39 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Ordo Praedicatorum wrote:
Since I am new and trying to get the lay of the land, I thought I would check in and see if there were any members either professed or in formation with a religious order. So, how about it? Anyone a lay brother or sister in the Order of Preachers, in the Secular Franciscan Order, a Benedictine Oblate, etc.? If so, what led you there. If not, is it something you have considered or would be interested in learning more about?

I am fairly convinced that the average faithful Catholic sitting in the pews is not even aware that such things exist.

Pax Vobiscum,

Jason

I am a professed Third Order Lay Carmelite. (O.Carm.)

I was 39 years old at the time and Mom to eight children. Without going into detail, there was a lot of turmoil going on at home, particularly with my oldest daughter. My husband rarely went to Mass (that changed later), and my frustration and unhappiness lasted for about two years, until a friend of mine offered to take me to one of her Lay Carmelite meetings as a guest.

She mentioned something about the Brown Scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, which I had worn many years before, and I thought the meeting was about people who were wearers of the Scapular. When I went to the meeting I saw the members wearing large 6" x 8" Scapulars over their clothing. I wondered what that was all about.

Then, a Carmelite priest started out the evening, in full habit, and celebrated Mass for our group. His homily was centered on Carmelite spirituality. After Mass we all went to the church basement to have the monthly meeting. There was a short business meeting, then another homily by the Carmelite priest, which I felt so blessed by.

Prior to that I heard the Formation Director give a faith-filled talk on the lesson for that night.

I couldn't help but feel that a ton of spiritual bricks fell on my head that night. After sorting everything in the next few weeks I knew I had to go back to those meetings and find out how to become a member. The rest is history......it was life changing for me, and spoke to me about the kind of spirituality I was attracted to. Quiet prayer.

It all started in 1975 for me, and I can't imagine my life without a Lay Carmelite Community to meet with every month.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:32 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Great story. Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:40 pm 

Religion: Catholic (Convert)
Church Affiliations: Knight's of Columbus 4th Degr
I am interested, but there are no such organizations close to where i live. The closest that I am aware of is in Owensboro, KY, over 80 miles from where I live.

I am closer to a Trappist Monastery, but not very much closer.

It's a shame that there are not more Chapters around.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:08 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

The Old Medic wrote:
I am interested, but there are no such organizations close to where i live. The closest that I am aware of is in Owensboro, KY, over 80 miles from where I live.

You could start one. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:37 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
sunmumy wrote:
The Old Medic wrote:

You could start one. :wink:

Yes, that is true, you can start one. It takes a lot of prayer and motivation, and you would need to know what lay order you are led to initiate. Then, contact the order that has jurisdiction in your area and find out how to start. Usually a group of six or more start discussing the charism of the order, and when the time comes the one who is initiating the order is given the green light by those in charge of that particular third order to get the message out to interested parties.

Most orders have a manual of how to start a community, and what steps need to be taken.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:28 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Hi Jason,

Sorry I missed this post for so long; afraid I don't get on much anymore as the Third Order takes more of my time; I publish the newsletter for the laity of the Western Dominican Province, Truth Be Told.