Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]   
Author Message
 Post subject: Contemplative Orders w/ TLM?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:15 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:23 am
Posts: 3427
Religion: Catholic
I know only a small amount; most are in France. So, what contemplative orders are there in the Catholic Church that celebrate the Tridentine Mass daily and that are known for its orthodoxy and "exactness"-as St. Alphonsus would advise... :scratch:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Contemplative Orders w/ TLM?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:20 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:23 am
Posts: 3427
Religion: Catholic
I found something exactly what I was looking for, but they're in Germany...The Trappists of Mariawald. What is the possibility of God calling someone overseas and to learn German beforehand. Does that happen often?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Contemplative Orders w/ TLM?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:35 pm 
Offline
Middle Management
Middle Management
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:15 pm
Posts: 28912
Location: Sacred Heart of Jesus
Religion: Catholic
The Clear Creek Benedictines and the Carmelite Monks in Wyoming (they say the Carmelite Rite, which is the TLM with a few minor modifications) are both contemplative orders which have the TLM.

_________________
Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Contemplative Orders w/ TLM?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:22 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:34 pm
Posts: 27829
Location: Sine Domum
Religion: Roman Catholic
Bonaventure wrote:
The Clear Creek Benedictines and the Carmelite Monks in Wyoming (they say the Carmelite Rite, which is the TLM with a few minor modifications) are both contemplative orders which have the TLM.

Don't tell the Carmelites that it is the Trid with a few minor modifications...they and Dominicans are very big on it being a distinct rite (which, weirdly, is trued in a juridical sense than between the NO and the TLM...in 1962 a Dominican would need biritual faculties to say the Roman rite for instance). I made the "mistake" of mentioning that certain things in the missalette they had (at the parish that is around the hill [is it even a hill, mound?]) that stated they were unique to their rite were taken from the Dominican rite and hence not unique. :fyi:

As far as the question goes, communities within the US are basically restricted to those two. Unfortunately.

But Norcia, which does the old rite (and is the very birthplace of Ss. Benedict and Scholastica) is basically American....it is like being in an embassy. They all speak English and most importantly have peanut butter.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Contemplative Orders w/ TLM?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:24 pm 
Offline
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 7:55 am
Posts: 66352
Location: 1.56381501 radians
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Mmmmmmmmmmmm ... peanut butter.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Contemplative Orders w/ TLM?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:08 am 
Offline
Highness
Highness
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:45 pm
Posts: 6695
Location: Boston (Roslindale), MA
Religion: Catholic
Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
..
But Norcia, which does the old rite (and is the very birthplace of Ss. Benedict and Scholastica) is basically American....it is like being in an embassy. They all speak English and most importantly have peanut butter.
[joke]

But unfortunately a divisive spirit has appeared there; there are two "rites" – one favors creamy PB and the other chunky.

[/joke]


Edward Pothier


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Contemplative Orders w/ TLM?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:59 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:23 am
Posts: 3427
Religion: Catholic
Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
Bonaventure wrote:
The Clear Creek Benedictines and the Carmelite Monks in Wyoming (they say the Carmelite Rite, which is the TLM with a few minor modifications) are both contemplative orders which have the TLM.

Don't tell the Carmelites that it is the Trid with a few minor modifications...they and Dominicans are very big on it being a distinct rite (which, weirdly, is trued in a juridical sense than between the NO and the TLM...in 1962 a Dominican would need biritual faculties to say the Roman rite for instance). I made the "mistake" of mentioning that certain things in the missalette they had (at the parish that is around the hill [is it even a hill, mound?]) that stated they were unique to their rite were taken from the Dominican rite and hence not unique. :fyi:

As far as the question goes, communities within the US are basically restricted to those two. Unfortunately.

But Norcia, which does the old rite (and is the very birthplace of Ss. Benedict and Scholastica) is basically American....it is like being in an embassy. They all speak English and most importantly have peanut butter.


Wow, that's good to know! That is-the peanut butter thing. Seriously, what is it with religious orders and peanut butter? It's quite odd...I have noticed this at other monasteries or friaries. It's like as soon as they realize they have run out, everyone gets extremely bewildered, the whole day gets thrown off, and they call a community meeting to figure out how this could have taken place.

Anyway, on a much more serious note, they better have coffee.

PED, where did you find out that most or all speak English at Norcia?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Contemplative Orders w/ TLM?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:02 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:34 pm
Posts: 27829
Location: Sine Domum
Religion: Roman Catholic
PDUBYA wrote:
Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
Bonaventure wrote:
The Clear Creek Benedictines and the Carmelite Monks in Wyoming (they say the Carmelite Rite, which is the TLM with a few minor modifications) are both contemplative orders which have the TLM.

Don't tell the Carmelites that it is the Trid with a few minor modifications...they and Dominicans are very big on it being a distinct rite (which, weirdly, is trued in a juridical sense than between the NO and the TLM...in 1962 a Dominican would need biritual faculties to say the Roman rite for instance). I made the "mistake" of mentioning that certain things in the missalette they had (at the parish that is around the hill [is it even a hill, mound?]) that stated they were unique to their rite were taken from the Dominican rite and hence not unique. :fyi:

As far as the question goes, communities within the US are basically restricted to those two. Unfortunately.

But Norcia, which does the old rite (and is the very birthplace of Ss. Benedict and Scholastica) is basically American....it is like being in an embassy. They all speak English and most importantly have peanut butter.


Wow, that's good to know! That is-the peanut butter thing. Seriously, what is it with religious orders and peanut butter? It's quite odd...I have noticed this at other monasteries or friaries. It's like as soon as they realize they have run out, everyone gets extremely bewildered, the whole day gets thrown off, and they call a community meeting to figure out how this could have taken place.

Anyway, on a much more serious note, they better have coffee.

PED, where did you find out that most or all speak English at Norcia?

Unless things have changed, they are all Americans...ergo they all speak English and hence the attachment to peanut butter

When I stayed there some of them didn't know any Italian. :fyi: But the town is not like Rome, most of the people do not, in fact, speak English and there isn't much tourism...though one shop had hilarious English signs....Bitter and Grappa to the truffles....Products Typical Places...

Maybe they have acquired some Italian members since I was there...I know most of monks there


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Contemplative Orders w/ TLM?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:21 pm 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:18 pm
Posts: 23
Religion: Disgruntled
Quote:
But Norcia, which does the old rite (and is the very birthplace of Ss. Benedict and Scholastica) is basically American....it is like being in an embassy. They all speak English and most importantly have peanut butter.


And beer.

Mmmmmmmmmmm, beer.



AFAIK, there's one Italian now. The Irishman washed out, it seems.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]   


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


Jump to: