Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Discerning the Priesthood
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:13 pm 

I am a teenager who is about to graduate highschoo. For some time now i have been discerning the priesthood. I am confident that this is the path God is leading me. For some reason though, I have not told my friends or family. I have only spoken to my parish priest about my vocation. Why am i so scared about their reaction when I know they will support my decision? Any suggestions to help me overcome this odd fear?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:21 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

You could just mention it casually. It doesn't have to be some announcement or official proclamation. I never really did that with my family. It just came up a few times and gradually I became more comfortable discussing discernment with my family and friends.

"ex abundantia enim cordis os loquitur" Lk. 6:45

"si quis autem vestrum indiget sapientiam postulet a Deo qui dat omnibus affluenter et non inproperat et dabitur ei " Jam 1:5

"timor Domini principium scientiae" Pv 1:7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:28 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree Knight of Columbus
fade,

Just do it, bro!! :D Seriously, I'd be a bit apprehensive about it as well, though I can't exactly be sure why. Just remember that your family will love you and support you in your vocation, as you seem to be telling us. God bless you, brother!! :D

+Bishop Fulton J. Sheen (1895-1979)

JMJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:01 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Fade,

First and foremost, congratulations to you! What a joyous path of discovery you are on!

I heard a wonderful homily about this recently. You may be feeling nervous because often, when a young man or woman tells someone that they are being called to religious vocation, the response can be unintentionally negative.

The priest who gave the homily pointed out that the response often (and nearly immediately) brings up the matter of "sacrifice." As such, the young man or woman might feel defensive about something that they shouldn't have to feel defensive about.

Like RNesbit said, you'll probably feel more comfortable if you bring it up with casual confidence. Even if your family is Catholic, you may well get the "Oh, but that's such a big sacrifice" line. You can, of course, remind them that any path that a Christian chooses requires sacrifice. If you were to hold a non-religious vocation and get married, would that require any less sacrifice? Certainly not. It would simply be a different kind of sacrifice, that's all.

Since our life in Christ is about pleasing God, I am sure that your family will come to understand your calling. Of course, there may be no objection, and they may understand right away, and respond with great joy.

You have my prayers. Please keep us posted on how it goes!

:)

Dani

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:09 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I'm with Dani on this one. I really think that it is all a matter of mindset. Worldly mindsets tend to focus on all that "you'd be giving up!" :roll: Yeah, you give up a lot of things....but you gain so much!!!! I'm excited for you....I hope that your family will be positive....but if not, know that there are those of us out here cheering for you, and those like you.

Rachel

I want to be like Mrs B when I grow up!
I homeschool because I've seen the village, and I don't want it raising my children!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:12 pm 

Does not sound like you are too "solid" in your decision. You are old enough to be ready to make those decisions but you don't sound too confident in them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:27 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

set free in Christ wrote:
Does not sound like you are too "solid" in your decision. You are old enough to be ready to make those decisions but you don't sound too confident in them.

I could be wrong, but I believe that discernment is a long process, and it is normal for one to take years of study and prayer before one is completely "solid" in this decision. That's why the road to priesthood is a long one.

I don't believe that now is the time for us to question his intentions or confidence. Rather, it is the time for us to promote his willingness to explore his calling, and to support him.