Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Books on prayer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:37 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
A critical part of discernment, and an even more critical part of formation, is learning to pray. A good spiritual director is invaluable here, too, but I'm offering a few suggestions:

Peter Kreeft's Prayer: The Great Conversation and Prayer for Beginners are both worthwhile reads. Both are, I think, mostly suitable for getting you started.

Moving from there, Thomas Dubay's Prayer Primer will reinforce what Kreeft gave you and point your way to the next levels (it's been a while since I've read Kreeft, but I don't recall much on meditation and contemplation). Finally, Dubay's The Fire Within is a modern classic (and I don't use the term lightly) that's a pretty complete roadmap to the spiritual life.

If you've got a ton of time on your hands, Garrigou-Lagrange's The Three Ages of the Interior Life complements Dubay nicely, but you need a good grounding in scholastic philosophy to follow what G-L is saying.

Need something to read?

Last edited by Obi-Wan Kenobi on Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:44 pm 
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Religion: Roman Catholic
In conjunction to those, Dubay's Seeking Spiritual Direction: How to Grow the Divine Life Within is also great, and an provides a good, sound basis in spiritual direction. I imagine the other texts you've mentioned would provide more in-depth discussions of some of the topics in Seeking Spiritual Direction.

"Beati estis cum maledixerint vobis et persecuti vos fuerint et dixerint omne malum adversum vos, mentientes, propter me. Gaudete et exsultate, quoniam merces vestra copiosa est in caelis; sic enim persecuti sunt prophetas, qui fuerunt ante vos." Mt. V. xi-xii