Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 22 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: How do you say...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:01 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
in Latin...

1. "Catholic spiritual warfare"

2. "Catholic spiritual combat"

3. "Sacramentals"

4. "Devotions"

Thank you (i am guessing 1 and 2 will be the same)

Some of these ecumenists are so preoccupied with Christian unity that they are willing to destroy Catholic unity in the name of Christian unity. - Fr. John Hardon

Post subject: Re: How do you say...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:40 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

What about "Catholic Animositas Bellum" for 1 and 2?

Some of these ecumenists are so preoccupied with Christian unity that they are willing to destroy Catholic unity in the name of Christian unity. - Fr. John Hardon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:19 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I am new at this but someone else may have to verify they are right or correct them :D

1.combat spirituel catholique
2.combat spirituel catholique
3.Sacramentaux
4.Dévotions

Catholique Animositas Bellum

~When life knocks you down on your knees, remember you are in the prefect position to pray.~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZMIpPqnrzg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:14 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
PDUBYA wrote:
in Latin...

1. "Catholic spiritual warfare"

2. "Catholic spiritual combat"

3. "Sacramentals"

4. "Devotions"

Thank you (i am guessing 1 and 2 will be the same)

1. Catholicum bellum spirituale

2. Catholicum duellum spirituale

3. Sacramentalia is the correct way

4. Depends on the meaning of devotion. In the Catechism, for instance, when it speaks of devotion to Mary the word used is "Cultus Mariae" "Mary's cult"...sadly cult has a different connotation nowadays. What you mean, I am certain, is a devotion being an exercise of piety. That is exercitia pietatis in the plural, excercitium pietatis in the singular.

Note with one and 2 that adding Catholic is funny, awkward and most unusual.

My Blog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:19 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

PDUBYA wrote:
What about "Catholic Animositas Bellum" for 1 and 2?

Catholic is gibberish in Latin. Catholica, Catholicum, Catholicus (feminine, neuter, or maculine)

Animositas is not an adjective, but a substantive. It means boldness, courage, ardor, impetuous, wrath. Literally spiritedness. From animus (meaning anything from mind to soul/spirit [though anima is more common] to courage to air...I can literally say I breath animus in Latin...life and air is connected). Spiritualis, spirituale means spiritual (we get spiritual from Latin, so it should be similar, right?)

My Blog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:23 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
St. Joanna wrote:
I am new at this but someone else may have to verify they are right or correct them :D

3.Sacramentaux
4.Dévotions

Gallic Latin slang. :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:34 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Desertfalcon wrote:
St. Joanna wrote:

3.Sacramentaux
4.Dévotions

I figure she accidentally used a French translator this time. le combat spirituel is the title in French of The Spiritual Combat

It looks like Google translation, as it renders 1 and 2 the same in French (though not in Latin...it uses pugna for combat)

My Blog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:22 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I actually have a friend who has a translator because she does web pages and hers is suposto be correct...guess not :D

~When life knocks you down on your knees, remember you are in the prefect position to pray.~

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:04 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

I've tried using the Google Spanish translator a couple of times for topix that I am not familiar with in Spanish but I'm fluent enough to know that it often chooses words or grammar that is either incorrect, or is just not what native Spanish speakers would ever use because the 'translator' can't understand context or intent. It's handy if you just need a simple phrase or to use as on on-line dictionary, but that's about it. I don't think it has a "Latin" translation on it's drop-down options.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:20 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Desertfalcon wrote:
I've tried using the Google Spanish translator a couple of times for topix that I am not familiar with in Spanish but I'm fluent enough to know that it often chooses words or grammar that is either incorrect, or is just not what native Spanish speakers would ever use because the 'translator' can't understand context or intent. It's handy if you just need a simple phrase or to use as on on-line dictionary, but that's about it. I don't think it has a "Latin" translation on it's drop-down options.

It does have Latin now...it is in alpha

My Blog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:26 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I used to have a Translator program when I was school, but I gave it away to someone and now I wish I had it :( I have needed it on so many occasions. I am not sure if any online ones are correct, I talk to some family and we all speak German and some of our family doesn't speak it and so they refereed them to the "Yahoo Babble Fish" one...I haven't used it so I have no idea how accurate that one is..it does many languages...I have friends that speak Arabic and Urdu even that say they use "babble Fish." I have not learned Latin yet..especially when it's written..I can catch a few words here and there when spoken, but not usually written. (working on that ;) )

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:36 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
Desertfalcon wrote:

What is "alpha"?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:52 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Desertfalcon wrote:
Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
Desertfalcon wrote:

What is "alpha"?

:scratch: no idea...I mean in terms related to animals etc..never herd it used this way ;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:57 am 
Highness
Highness

Desertfalcon wrote:
Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
Desertfalcon wrote:

What is "alpha"?
I think that this use of "alpha" is for a preliminary version of a computer program or application. After some use, feedback, and changes there may be a further revised, or "Beta", version (still somewhat preliminary and limited in use) before the "canonical" version is released.

Edward Pothier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:10 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
Note with one and 2 that adding Catholic is funny, awkward and most unusual.
Would "Catholicorum" ("of Catholics") make more sense?

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:33 am 
Majesty
Majesty

Desertfalcon wrote:
St. Joanna wrote:

3.Sacramentaux
4.Dévotions

Must be Pig Latin slang. I speak French, by the way.

His mother said to his servants, "Do whatever he tells you." (John 2:5)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:02 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Edward Pothier wrote:
Desertfalcon wrote:
Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
Desertfalcon wrote:

What is "alpha"?
I think that this use of "alpha" is for a preliminary version of a computer program or application. After some use, feedback, and changes there may be a further revised, or "Beta", version (still somewhat preliminary and limited in use) before the "canonical" version is released.

Edward Pothier

That's Greek to me! I kill me! ::): Get it...translation joke...is this thing on? :?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:41 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Desertfalcon wrote:
Edward Pothier wrote:
Desertfalcon wrote:
Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
Desertfalcon wrote:

What is "alpha"?

Edward Pothier

That's Greek to me! I kill me! ::): Get it...translation joke...is this thing on? :?

Alpha is the initial stages of development of software. It is when you screw around with a program the most, adding major features, etc. Imagine you decided to make a word processor. This would be the stage to toy around with adding a spell checker or not, adding the ability to read different formats and other major changes. When you move to Beta what you are saying is that in bulk the program is finished as far as what it is going to be. Beta is the time for getting rid of bugs and glitches, tweaking minor features, etc but nothing major. Generally Beta versions are the ones released to the public to test and get feedback. For instance I had Windows 7 before it came out running in a virtual machine. With commercial programs where money is to be made something is done to the Beta to prevent its continued use, like removing a major feature or making it stop working after a certain date. When you move from Beta to a release version you "freeze code" and focus only on getting rid of bugs and security issues. Generally Alpha versions and sometimes Beta are labeled "unstable" due to the wide range of development

My Blog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:05 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Let me see if I understand so...

You could say:

1. Bellum Spirituale

2. Duellum Spirituale

OR, you could also say it this way...

1. Catholicorum Bellum Spirituale?

2. Catholicorum Duellum Spirituale?

I hope I'm getting close here :nooo:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:37 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

PDUBYA wrote:
Let me see if I understand so...

You could say:

1. Bellum Spirituale

2. Duellum Spirituale

OR, you could also say it this way...

1. Catholicorum Bellum Spirituale?

2. Catholicorum Duellum Spirituale?

I hope I'm getting close here :nooo:

Those work....I was mostly just thinking that I have never heard "Spiritual Combat" termed "Catholic Spiritual Combat" . I would favor the former anyhow, because the combat is there for all, whether they recognize it or choose to fight.

Pugna Spiritualis would work to. That would be a "spiritual fight". But I think Duellum gets combat better.

My Blog

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 22 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next