Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 3   [ 52 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Sign of the Cross
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:56 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
Could someone explain the correct way to do this? A link (especially to a site with pictures) would be ideal.

I read that the thumb and 1st 2 fingers should be touching each other while the ring and pinkie finger should point away from the body (tucked in towards the hand)and from the forehead to the solar plexus to the left and right shoulders. However, on Sunday I noticed that no one did it exactly that way. I saw whole hands used and whole hands in which only the middle finger touched the body.

I also noticed that some did it while genuflecting and some didn't. Which is correct?

Any help would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:14 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

I have always done it using my whole hand, and not holding the fingers in any particular posture. When I dip my fingers in the font, usually only the tips of the three longest fingers get wet -- you should not go more than first-knuckle deep, if that, in the font!!

I then touch my (now wet) fingertips to my forehad while saying (to myself) "In the name of the Father..."
I move them to about where the bottom of my sternum would be as I say "...and of the Son.."

I move them towards my left shoulder (I usually "hit" halfway between the outside of the shoulder and the center line of my body, and about halfway between the top of the shoulder and the pocket on a dress shirt...) while saying "...and of the Holy..": I usually get to the point of contact with the shoulder while saying "Holy".

I now move them to the corresponding point on my right shoulder (yes, it is a bit awkward; yes, if anyone took a photo of you at that precise moment as your right hand touched your right shoulder you would look "gay") while saying "... Spirit. Amen."

You will now have a wet spot on your forehead and your necktie, and two wet spots on your shirt. Don't worry, they dry quickly. :wink:

I used to bless myself (i.e., make the sign of the cross; I have never heard a Catholic say "cross myself") when I genuflected, but now that my knees are shot I have to grab the bench-end of a pew with my right hand to haul myself back up -- and so I usually don't anymore when I am just getting in or out of a pew.

It is an Italian and Spanish/Hispanic custom to kiss the thumb after making the sign of the cross -- there is apparetly a reason for doing this, but for me this falls into the category of We Never Did This Where I Came From.

Last edited by Custos on Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: This might help
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:15 pm 
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Religion: Roman Catholic
From NewAdvent, Sign of the Cross: "The cross was originally traced by Christians with the thumb or finger on their own foreheads. This practice is attested by numberless allusions in Patristic literature, and it was clearly associated in idea with certain references in Scripture, notably Ezech., ix, 4 (of the mark of the letter Tau); Ex., xvii, 9-14; and especially Apoc., vii 3; ix, 4; xiv, 1. Hardly less early in date is the custom of marking a cross on objects -- already Tertullian speaks of the Christian woman "signing" her bed (cum lectulum tuum signas, "Ad uxor.", ii, 5) before retiring to rest-and we soon hear also of the sign of the cross being traced on the lips (Jerome, "Epitaph. Paulæ") and on the heart (Prudentius, "Cathem.", vi, 129)

Unfortunately, no pictures. Sorry. http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/13785a.htm

What I remember hearing from a friend of mine, a Greek orthodox priest, actually, was that the larger cross, traced from the brow to the chest and then the shoulders, likely arose from the Nestorian heresy, if I remeber him correctly. Two fingers were used when signing the Cross, to indicate the dual natures of Jesus Christ, and a larger motion was adopted to accomodate. The practice moved to three fingers being pressed together, these symbolizing the Holy Trinity, while the other two turned in towards one's palm denote the dual nature of Jesus Christ. The Greeks, however move from right to left, whereas in the Western Churches we move from left to right.

Beyond that, however, I'm not sure of precisely the proper practice. Hope that was some help, though. :)

"Beati estis cum maledixerint vobis et persecuti vos fuerint et dixerint omne malum adversum vos, mentientes, propter me. Gaudete et exsultate, quoniam merces vestra copiosa est in caelis; sic enim persecuti sunt prophetas, qui fuerunt ante vos." Mt. V. xi-xii

Post subject: Re: Sign of the Cross
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:29 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
ledaub1 wrote:
I read that the thumb and 1st 2 fingers should be touching each other while the ring and pinkie finger should point away from the body (tucked in towards the hand)and from the forehead to the solar plexus to the left and right shoulders. However, on Sunday I noticed that no one did it exactly that way. I saw whole hands used and whole hands in which only the middle finger touched the body.

There is no exact finger posture in the West. Most people do it with a cupped hand. But yes, forehead ("In the name of the Father") to chest ("and of the Son") to left shoulder ("and of the Holy") to right ("Ghost. Amen.") is correct.

Quote:
I also noticed that some did it while genuflecting and some didn't. Which is correct?

Either.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:22 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Custos wrote:
It is an Italian and Spanish/Hispanic custom to kiss the thumb after making the sign of the cross -- there is apparetly a reason for doing this, but for me this falls into the category of We Never Did This Where I Came From.

The thumb that is kissed makes a kind of cross with the index finger.
Therefore, kissing the cross.
iirc

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power, of love, and of self control." 2 Tim 1:7

ImageImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:58 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: CSP
* Option A. With your right hand, touch the thumb and ring finger together, and hold your index finger and middle finger together to signify the two natures of Christ. This is the most typical Western Catholic practice.

* Option B. Hold your thumb and index finger of your right hand together to signify the two natures of Christ

* Option C. Hold your thumb, index finger, middle finger of your right hand together (signifying the Trinity) while tucking the ring finger and pinky finger (signifying the two natures of Christ) toward your palm. This is the typically Eastern Catholic practice.

* Option D: Hold your right hand open with all 5 fingers -- representing the 5 Wounds of Christ -- together and very slightly curved, and thumb slightly tucked into palm

Then:

* touch the forehead as you say (or pray mentally) "In nomine Patris" ("In the name of the Father")

* touch the breastbone or top of the belly as you say "et Filii" ("and of the Son")

* touch the left shoulder, then right shoulder, as you say "et Spiritus Sancti" ("and of the Holy Ghost"). Note that some people end the Sign by crossing the thumb over the index finger to make a cross, and then kissing the thumb as a way of "kissing the Cross."

Appeals to personal subjectivity on a matter of objective right is as much a category mistake as claiming that the number 3 is taller than the color blue. - Dr. Francis Beckwith

EENS

Last edited by Charles07 on Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:44 pm 
Majesty
Majesty

Charles07 wrote:
* * Option C. Hold your thumb, index finger, middle finger of your right hand together (signifying the Trinity) while tucking the ring finger and pinky finger (signifying the two natures of Christ) toward your palm. This is the typically Eastern Catholic practice.

This option C is common among Orthodox Christians, too. I did watch them make a sign of the cross when I was at Kazan, Tatarstan Republic, Russian Federation.

His mother said to his servants, "Do whatever he tells you." (John 2:5)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:09 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

lbt wrote:
Charles07 wrote:
* * Option C. Hold your thumb, index finger, middle finger of your right hand together (signifying the Trinity) while tucking the ring finger and pinky finger (signifying the two natures of Christ) toward your palm. This is the typically Eastern Catholic practice.

This option C is common among Orthodox Christians, too. I did watch them make a sign of the cross when I was at Kazan, Tatarstan Republic, Russian Federation.

I've adopted this for myself as a personal... devotion? Not sure if that's the proper way to put it, but I hope ykwim.
:)

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power, of love, and of self control." 2 Tim 1:7

ImageImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:27 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I do option C as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:18 am 
Citizen
Citizen

I too use option C.

Phil. 1:21 GO IRISH !!!!
For the DCF Children ImageImageImage[ ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:09 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Quote:
I used to bless myself (i.e., make the sign of the cross; I have never heard a Catholic say "cross myself") when I genuflected, but now that my knees are shot I have to grab the bench-end of a pew with my right hand to haul myself back up -- and so I usually don't anymore when I am just getting in or out of a pew.

I do the same but mine has more to do with balance problems. I grab hold of the pew or I'll topple over. :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:27 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

ledaub1 wrote:

Either is correct. You don't have to sign yourself when genuflecting but it sure doesn't hurt to do it.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:40 am 
Resident Philosopher
Resident Philosopher

Church Affiliations: 2nd Deg. KoC, SSFJDOG

I didn't know that Larry Tate was a priest!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:03 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree Knight
The priest in this picture is doing what I was taught to do by the nuns. We were taught to place our left hand where he has it in the picture. Although I've often thought that the reason the nuns taught this was to make sure we were not putting our left hand in out pocket while making the sign of the cross.

Learner

What you see depends on what you thought before you looked. Eugene Taurman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:15 pm 
I also use option C

Tak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:00 am 
Travelin' Man's Travelin' Tau
Travelin' Man's Travelin' Tau

Religion: Catholic convert
Church Affiliations: OFS
I've always used option D.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:48 pm 
Master
Master

Church Affiliations: 3rd degree KofC
Learner wrote:
The priest in this picture is doing what I was taught to do by the nuns. We were taught to place our left hand where he has it in the picture. Although I've often thought that the reason the nuns taught this was to make sure we were not putting our left hand in out pocket while making the sign of the cross.

Learner

Do you still place your left hand (as in the picture above) as you enter church for Mass? What about praying at the dinner table? Anything different there or the same things? By the way, are there any special table prayers that you were taught and still pray? I was taught:

'Come Lord Jesus,
Be our guest, and let these Thy gifts to us be blessed. Oh, give thanks to the Lord for he is good, his mercy endures forever.'

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:52 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

catholicinquirer2008 wrote:
By the way, are there any special table prayers that you were taught and still pray?

Bless us O Lord and these Thy gifts which we are about to receive from Thy bounty.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:19 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

What is genuflecting?

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:21 am 
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

kneeling on one foot. Before we go to sit in the pews, you genuflect on your right knee to show respect to Jesus who is in the tabernacle in front of you.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 3   [ 52 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next