Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 6 of 8   [ 144 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

What's your age range & highest level of education?
18 & under age range 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
19-24 age range 3%  3%  [ 6 ]
25-29 age range 4%  4%  [ 7 ]
30-39 age range 12%  12%  [ 22 ]
40-49 age range 11%  11%  [ 19 ]
50-59 age range 9%  9%  [ 17 ]
60-69 age range 8%  8%  [ 14 ]
70-79 age range 3%  3%  [ 5 ]
80 & Up age range 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
still in high school/home schooled 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
high school dropout 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
GED 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
high school graduate 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
some college/university courses, but haven’t earned a degree yet 11%  11%  [ 19 ]
technical/vocational school 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
Associate Degree 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
Bachelor’s Degree 18%  18%  [ 33 ]
Master’s Degree 6%  6%  [ 10 ]
Doctorate Degree 4%  4%  [ 8 ]
I have two degrees 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
I have three or more degrees 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
Other 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 180
 Post subject: Re: Poll: Age Range & Education Level
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:46 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Catholic
Athanasius wrote:

But oh well. If it works for you guys, more power to you.

So, despite your comments your parents had a major say in where you went. Besides, Florida colleges??? Is that really equivalent to colleges in say North Carolina? Not from my experience.[/quote]

Yes, they are. FSU and UF have outstanding law and medical programs. FSU just produced a Rhodes Schollar recently, a high profile football player from their team to boot. Florida schools are very good in their own rite.

My parents never once prohibited me from going anywhere on their own accord. I could go where I want. If I wanted to use the florida pre-paid they got for me, by the rules of the program, it was honored only at public florida institutions. They didn't get it because they wanted me to go to florida schools. They got it because it was a cheap investment for college education at the time. They paid 5,000 over 18 years and it was good for 4 years tuition at any state school. Books, lab fees, etc were on my diime.

If I wanted to go else where, we had to look into other means. We never really got that far because I decided on the military. But had I decided to go out of state, or to a private school like Miami, they would either helped me if they could or I would have had to take a loan or earn a scholly.

They never once told me "you can't go here if we're paying."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:35 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
VegasCane wrote:

As was their prerogative. Yet some parents don't have the same attitude. They're not comfortable paying for or supporting something that they know is not good for their children. As is their right.

“We are moving toward a dictatorship of relativism which does not recognize anything as definitive and has as its highest value one's own ego and one's own desires... The church needs to withstand the tides of trends and the latest novelties.... We must become mature in this adult faith, we must guide the flock of Christ to this faith.”

“At times, power — including that of knowledge — blocks the path to encountering that child,” the Son of God, the savior of the world -Pope Benedict XVI

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:58 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Soror wrote:
I have a BS in Social Work. I *almost* went on to a Master's program right afterward but I was burn out at that point. I also knew that when we had kids I would be staying home with them so it seemed crazy to go into $20k of debt for a degree I was only planning on using for a few years. Also, the closest Masters program for my degree would have meant lots of driving as it was 2.5 hrs away and after finishing my BS by commuting 1.5 hrs I was a bit tired of that. I wish that I had my degree for the sake of having it but I don't regret not getting it. I like my current *job* and don't plan to ever return to paid work again, barring unforeseen circumstances. I do enjoy learning though and hope as I am homeschooling I can explore some things that I have either forgot or never knew.

I *almost* regret having my MSW. When I graduated with a BA in psychology, there were lots of positions in a new company that I would've been perfectly qualified - not social workish at all, but actually well suited to me. And the salary, while pretty low, was similar to the salary I ended up making when I entered the workforce with my MSW (in a job that I hated). Except then, I had to pay back college loans. So the only two years I ever worked "grown-up style," I spent my entire salary paying off my loans (while my dh supported us otherwise). And then I promptly started having babies. So not only did my 4 years of grad school and employment make it a complete financial wash (when I could've made 4 years of salary pre-babies instead and put that to good use when buying a house), but I discovered I was not well suited to that field. If I ever do end up back in the work force, it will likely be in a completely different sort of work, and even if it IS social work, my degree and experience will be so outdated that it won't mean all that much. I can't completely regret it, since I did gain valuable life experience, but my guess is you're better off as you are.

"Do not think that I have come to bring peace on earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man's foes will be those of his own household." - Mt 10:34-36
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
"The future of the world passes through the family." - John Paul II

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:03 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

BA in Biology (minors in German, Physics and Education), MS in Biology (Mycology) and coursework towards an MA in Theology. Oh, I'll be 65 pretty soon.

I had trouble chosing which responses to use for the poll.

Come to me all you who are weary and find life burdensome, and I will refresh you. Take my yoke upon your shoulders and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble of heart. Your souls will find rest, for my yoke is easy and my burden light. (Matthew 11:28-30)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:38 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Pepsuber wrote:
VegasCane wrote:
It was't so much a concern. My parents trusted my judgement. My dad always told me "If you can't make sound decisions for yourself concerning your future, when it comes time for you decide big things like college or joining the military or whatnot, we failed you. What have we done then than only make you have to turn to us like a child? You're a grown a$$ man at that point. Do your thing."

They weren't concerned because they trusted they raised me in a way that I could make sound decisions for myself, based on how they and the rest of our family was raised, not because they didn't care or what not.

But that's not what many people do (I'm now recently realizing). My entire family was raised in a very independant manner. The younger you don't need your parents, the better. Like an eagle kicking the chicks out the nest. Time to fly, get out and good luck.

If one is raised to be independent, then wouldn't one want to pay one's own way through college? If your parents pay for your college education then it can hardly be said to be similar to an eagle pushing its chicks out of the nest.

I hope that I will be able to trust my children's judgment about where they go to college. But if they make a bad decision, I am not going to enable that decision by throwing money at it. If they want to do their own thing, I don't see why I ought to pay for it.

Exactly.

"Mom and Dad you must treat me like an adult! I can do it all myself! I'm independent! Oh, and I need you to pay for my college, car, car insurance, health insurance, a roof over my head..."

“We are moving toward a dictatorship of relativism which does not recognize anything as definitive and has as its highest value one's own ego and one's own desires... The church needs to withstand the tides of trends and the latest novelties.... We must become mature in this adult faith, we must guide the flock of Christ to this faith.”

“At times, power — including that of knowledge — blocks the path to encountering that child,” the Son of God, the savior of the world -Pope Benedict XVI

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:13 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus, SVdP
Chris G wrote:
Pepsuber wrote:
VegasCane wrote:
It was't so much a concern. My parents trusted my judgement. My dad always told me "If you can't make sound decisions for yourself concerning your future, when it comes time for you decide big things like college or joining the military or whatnot, we failed you. What have we done then than only make you have to turn to us like a child? You're a grown a$$ man at that point. Do your thing."

They weren't concerned because they trusted they raised me in a way that I could make sound decisions for myself, based on how they and the rest of our family was raised, not because they didn't care or what not.

But that's not what many people do (I'm now recently realizing). My entire family was raised in a very independant manner. The younger you don't need your parents, the better. Like an eagle kicking the chicks out the nest. Time to fly, get out and good luck.

If one is raised to be independent, then wouldn't one want to pay one's own way through college? If your parents pay for your college education then it can hardly be said to be similar to an eagle pushing its chicks out of the nest.

I hope that I will be able to trust my children's judgment about where they go to college. But if they make a bad decision, I am not going to enable that decision by throwing money at it. If they want to do their own thing, I don't see why I ought to pay for it.

Exactly.

"Mom and Dad you must treat me like an adult! I can do it all myself! I'm independent! Oh, and I need you to pay for my college, car, car insurance, health insurance, a roof over my head..."

:laughhard :laughhard :laughhard

Aeschylus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:27 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Dear Mom and Dad,

Things are going very good at college. Thank you for letting me choose my own college since I know better than you what is good for me. You may want to plan on an extra year or two of college expenses for me since these dumb old professors don't understand that it's just not "me" to do my homework on their silly timetable. But rest assured I hope to finish my degree in creative apartment living here at Who Flung U in no more than six years. PS: Please send money. I'm the only one that hasn't chipped in her fifth installment for the weekly keg-er.

Love,

Your independent child.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:17 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: yes no and maybe
GKC,
I dropped out of Polytechnique (universities for real men and women). A labour government at some point after I left turned them into universities. I would never advise anyone ever to into higher education unless:
a) they are reasonably rich
or
b) they are studing for a profession (eg something like aircraft maintenance at Kingston University (currently the most over subscribed course in the UK), or dentistry etc).

Just get a job with your A levels.
why?
If you are clever enough to get A levels almost by definition you are clever enough to get a degree (A levels are the required entrance qualification). Not only will you save about £28,000 worth of fees but you will start work 3 years earlier. Thus three years into the future, you will probably would have saved or earned:

28,000 + 15,000 + 16,500 + 18,000 = 77,500 (or about $125,000 dollars)..... You will also probably end up doing a "graduate" job anyway (whatever that is)..... The AVERAGE graduate has to get $125,000 just to catch up with you. In all probability they will spend the rest of their life poorer than you but slightly more knowledgeable about some obscure subject that has little or no practical use.

An exception to this general rule is probably learning languages.
Sales reps in insurance can earn fortunes if they know Chinese.
More or less any job gives you about 15% more money if you do the same thing as you are doing in England but instead do it in Germany or Holland. Its certainly true with computing. But even at 15% more its going to take decades to earn back that lost $125,000.

ps - I know that some graduate entry jobs give a lot more than £15K - eg you get between £20K and £50K but if you look at the small print of the higher paying ones they tend to be in the "professions" .... eg Aircraft Engineers (or £20K is the TAX FREE grant you GET to do a PhD).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:06 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

ThyKingdomCome wrote:
I *almost* regret having my MSW. When I graduated with a BA in psychology, there were lots of positions in a new company that I would've been perfectly qualified - not social workish at all, but actually well suited to me. And the salary, while pretty low, was similar to the salary I ended up making when I entered the workforce with my MSW (in a job that I hated). Except then, I had to pay back college loans. So the only two years I ever worked "grown-up style," I spent my entire salary paying off my loans (while my dh supported us otherwise). And then I promptly started having babies. So not only did my 4 years of grad school and employment make it a complete financial wash (when I could've made 4 years of salary pre-babies instead and put that to good use when buying a house), but I discovered I was not well suited to that field. If I ever do end up back in the work force, it will likely be in a completely different sort of work, and even if it IS social work, my degree and experience will be so outdated that it won't mean all that much. I can't completely regret it, since I did gain valuable life experience, but my guess is you're better off as you are.

Ya, I don't know that I would try to go back to SW either. I would want a Masters more for the prestige and bragging rights than anything else, which is not good. It makes me a bit sick to see people that did not do as well in school with more advanced degrees and nice jobs. However, this is the life I chose and I love it. I wouldn't want to be in the work force for anything in the world. Wonderful thing is with homeschooling is that I can pick different topics I want to learn about, so I can further my education all I want, free. Those things I wanted to do to help others I can do and teach my kids at the same time. Well, I cannot do the same exact things, but people need all kinds of help.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:59 am 
Defender
Defender

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: Catholic Monarchy
VegasCane wrote:

The point people are trying to get you to understand is this: You protest way too much on way too many issues. You present yourself as different from everyone else but when the surface is scratch there is virtually no difference except perhaps, that you perceive somehow that your parents did not care for your spiritual well-being. You may eventually discover that they cared more than you think...maybe not...but that their approach to the subject may or may not have been all that different from most other parents.

Anyway, the bottom line is this, you present yourself as if you are still in college. Perhaps you are. I did not look at your profile. You protest too damned much.

"To say that God turns away from the sinful is like saying that the sun hides from the blind." St. Anthony the Great (of the desert)

"There are those who hate Christianity and call their hatred an all-embracing love for all religions." — G.K. Chesterton

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:04 am 
Defender
Defender

Netty,

I appreciate your rant. It's probably true that there isn't as much of a correlation between advanced education and earning ability. It certainly isn't true in my life. Still, I wouldn't trade those years of learning for much of anything. I love to learn.

CDL

"To say that God turns away from the sinful is like saying that the sun hides from the blind." St. Anthony the Great (of the desert)

"There are those who hate Christianity and call their hatred an all-embracing love for all religions." — G.K. Chesterton

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:35 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Netcurtains3 wrote:
GKC,
I dropped out of Polytechnique (universities for real men and women). A labour government at some point after I left turned them into universities. I would never advise anyone ever to into higher education unless:
or
b) they are studing for a profession (eg something like aircraft maintenance at Kingston University (currently the most over subscribed course in the UK), or dentistry etc).

why?
If you are clever enough to get A levels almost by definition you are clever enough to get a degree (A levels are the required entrance qualification). Not only will you save about £28,000 worth of fees but you will start work 3 years earlier. Thus three years into the future, you will probably would have saved or earned:

28,000 + 15,000 + 16,500 + 18,000 = 77,500 (or about $125,000 dollars)..... You will also probably end up doing a "graduate" job anyway (whatever that is)..... The AVERAGE graduate has to get $125,000 just to catch up with you. In all probability they will spend the rest of their life poorer than you but slightly more knowledgeable about some obscure subject that has little or no practical use.

More or less any job gives you about 15% more money if you do the same thing as you are doing in England but instead do it in Germany or Holland. Its certainly true with computing. But even at 15% more its going to take decades to earn back that lost $125,000.

ps - I know that some graduate entry jobs give a lot more than £15K - eg you get between £20K and £50K but if you look at the small print of the higher paying ones they tend to be in the "professions" .... eg Aircraft Engineers (or £20K is the TAX FREE grant you GET to do a PhD).

Interesting outlook. I suspect more go to college than actually profit from it, at that.

But it is not always a cripplingly expensive proposition. I paid almost nothing for my undergrad/grad degrees. Scholarships, based on grades, some from private sources, one because of the military. My daughter paid nothing for her undergrad/grad work. All merit scholarships. It could be done, at least over here.

GKC

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:18 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: CDoA, SSVdP
Santa Doom wrote:
kage_ar wrote:
When you consider everyone here is "above average" simply by being a computer user...

That would be true....if this was 1980 but it is 2010 (almost 2011) and now something like 80% of the population owns (or at least uses) a computer and the majority of those are online...free WiFi is everywhere, 40% of the population owns a smartphone with internet access, and even basic consumer electronics such as Blu Ray Players and video game consoles now connect to the Internet

Being on a computer makes us decidedly average and even (gulp) mainstream

In MY TOWN, fewer than 50% own or use computers.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:22 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: CDoA, SSVdP
GKC wrote:
Netcurtains3 wrote:
GKC,
or

why?

Interesting outlook. I suspect more go to college than actually profit from it, at that.

But it is not always a cripplingly expensive proposition. I paid almost nothing for my undergrad/grad degrees. Scholarships, based on grades, some from private sources, one because of the military. My daughter paid nothing for her undergrad/grad work. All merit scholarships. It could be done, at least over here.

GKC

Listened to a radio interview yesterday with an author who was discussing the tragedy that people no longer attend college to become educated people, they do so to get a degree and get a job. Our universities have become nothing but trade schools.

Sad.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:44 am 
Adept
Adept

GKC
In the UK, its the reverse to your situation. The better grades you get normally the more you have to pay. This is because the better grades allow you into better colleges which are more expensive or better courses (like Medicine) that are also more expensive.

kage_ar,
You are not looking at like with like. 25 years ago hardly anyone went to university (only about 1 in 10). Nowadays its 50% of the population (and rising) - obviously the state can no longer afford to pay hence the money involved. The original 1 in 10 numbers who liked learning for learnings sake might still be at uni doing exactly what you described. You are not looking at like with like. The other 90% originally probably did evening classes to help them in their craft (perhaps motor mechanics or brick laying or plumbing). This 90% are now spending £28K and THREE YEARS on the hope (wishful thinking) that its all going to be worth it. I'm saying it isn't.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:47 am 
Defender
Defender

kage_ar wrote:

Listened to a radio interview yesterday with an author who was discussing the tragedy that people no longer attend college to become educated people, they do so to get a degree and get a job. Our universities have become nothing but trade schools.

Sad.

Professor Milt Rosenberg has been on this rant for decades. http://www.wgnradio.com/shows/ext720/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:07 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
kage_ar wrote:
Santa Doom wrote:
kage_ar wrote:
When you consider everyone here is "above average" simply by being a computer user...

That would be true....if this was 1980 but it is 2010 (almost 2011) and now something like 80% of the population owns (or at least uses) a computer and the majority of those are online...free WiFi is everywhere, 40% of the population owns a smartphone with internet access, and even basic consumer electronics such as Blu Ray Players and video game consoles now connect to the Internet

And what percentage have electricity? :)

I am talking about actual civilization here...come on :)

Therefore.....let it burn.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:09 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Santa Doom wrote:
kage_ar wrote:
Santa Doom wrote:
kage_ar wrote:

And what percentage have electricity? :)

I am talking about actual civilization here...come on :)

Yes, access to porn and all kinds of other garbage on demand. Civilization. Not.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:12 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Netcurtains3 wrote:
GKC
In the UK, its the reverse to your situation. The better grades you get normally the more you have to pay. This is because the better grades allow you into better colleges which are more expensive or better courses (like Medicine) that are also more expensive.

kage_ar,
You are not looking at like with like. 25 years ago hardly anyone went to university (only about 1 in 10). Nowadays its 50% of the population (and rising) - obviously the state can no longer afford to pay hence the money involved. The original 1 in 10 numbers who liked learning for learnings sake might still be at uni doing exactly what you described. You are not looking at like with like. The other 90% originally probably did evening classes to help them in their craft (perhaps motor mechanics or brick laying or plumbing). This 90% are now spending £28K and THREE YEARS on the hope (wishful thinking) that its all going to be worth it. I'm saying it isn't.

Curious. In my locale, the schools, at the mid level, are competing for the quality student, and offer scholarships accordingly.

GKC

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:28 pm 
Adept
Adept

GKC,
Most kids in UK go to state schools with no selective entrance. The exceptions to this are Northern Ireland which still has the Grammar School system (still state education but the best schools go to the best students). The Grammar school system is not democratic and thus was phased out in most of the UK.

All universities in England charge students. There are no scholarships (as far as I know) for Engish based students. In Scotland univseristies are still free but only for people who went to school in Scotland (eg not for the English).

Private Schools do have scholarships for bright kids but gut feeling its a bit of a con - they give slight scholarships to most kids for most things (depending apon economic circumstances or what the other local private schools are doing). Since hardly anyone goes private people tend to ignore these schools in the stats.

Extreme atheists or religionists or politicals or others with extreme views also do home school ("extreme" in the sense as counter cultural and not willing to compromise).

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 6 of 8   [ 144 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next