Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: What do you guys think of this?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:27 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
Toady's reading from the Psalms is from a passage that I remember a Catholic friend of mine using in refutation of my criticism of liturgical dance and what I perceive to be liturgical abuse in music. Does Psalm 149 have merit regarding this issue?

"Hallelujah! Sing to the LORD a new song, a hymn in the assembly of the faithful. Let Israel be glad in their maker, the people of Zion rejoice in their king. Let them praise his name in festive dance, make music with tambourine and lyre."

Post subject: Re: What do you guys think of this?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:08 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I'm not well-versed in OT times or anything, but ISTM the celebration in the psalm is not in any way liturgical or connected with their actual worship. It's praise. Catholics can play tambourines and dance and praise God, just not as a part of Mass. (Though even outside of Mass they should take care that this form of praising God is not about entertainment and isn't too emotionally-driven and isn't undignified or immodest and so forth.)

"Take it as a certain sign that your charity is not genuine if your words, no matter how true, are not charitable." --St Francis de Sales

"The thing is--to be ready to die: and is there one of us who would quite like to die, doing as little for God as we are doing now?" --Fr Faber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:27 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Dominicatella wrote:
I'm not well-versed in OT times or anything, but ISTM the celebration in the psalm is not in any way liturgical or connected with their actual worship. It's praise. Catholics can play tambourines and dance and praise God, just not as a part of Mass. (Though even outside of Mass they should take care that this form of praising God is not about entertainment and isn't too emotionally-driven and isn't undignified or immodest and so forth.)

OK, that was basically where I went with my response. I asked, "Dance and joy yes, but did they do that in the temple?" Which neither of us knew the answer to.

I think "God centered" and "modesty" are key words.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:24 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Desertfalcon wrote:
I asked, "Dance and joy yes, but did they do that in the temple?"

What they did in the temple included slaughtering goats and burning their entrails,and wringing the heads off of pigeons. Clearly, unless one is trying to argue it would not be a liturgical abuse to slaughter a goat during Mass, one cannot use even the most authentic liturgical practices of Temple Judaism as necessary patterns for what would or would not be a liturgical abuse for Christians today.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:35 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Custos wrote:
Desertfalcon wrote:
I asked, "Dance and joy yes, but did they do that in the temple?"

What they did in the temple included slaughtering goats and burning their entrails,and wringing the heads off of pigeons. Clearly, unless one is trying to argue it would not be a liturgical abuse to slaughter a goat during Mass, one cannot use even the most authentic liturgical practices of Temple Judaism as necessary patterns for what would or would not be a liturgical abuse for Christians today.

Oh, I am thinking that most of the practices of the Mass have an Old Covenant connection. From the sanctuary lamp and tabernacle to the altar and candles for the paschal meal. I would also think that you are comparing "apples and oranges" though. The Mass and it's representation of the one Sacrifice for all time replaced the sacrifice of animals but that sacrifice of animal blood was what God desired, so graphic as your depiction may be, it was pleasing to the Lord. I still would like to know what the Psalm was referring to specifically. Was it liturgical?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:50 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: CDoA, SSVdP
In middle eastern cultures, dance was - and is - important to celebrations.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:10 am 
Majesty
Majesty

I think King David wrote this psalm. The main point of the psalm is to praise the Lord. If you'd like to sing the psalm in Hebrew, try this:

http://www.hebrewsongs.com/psalm149.htm

It's rare that we Catholics (except in Africa) dance during the Mass. But we can sing the psalm.

His mother said to his servants, "Do whatever he tells you." (John 2:5)