Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: ?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:57 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Where is everyone in here?

This vocation place gets a post once a year.

Some of these ecumenists are so preoccupied with Christian unity that they are willing to destroy Catholic unity in the name of Christian unity. - Fr. John Hardon

Post subject: Re: ?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:58 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
People here are laconic.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:59 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
People here are laconic.

:)

Some of these ecumenists are so preoccupied with Christian unity that they are willing to destroy Catholic unity in the name of Christian unity. - Fr. John Hardon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:10 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
People here are laconic.
That's mostly just you. :fyi:

"Take it as a certain sign that your charity is not genuine if your words, no matter how true, are not charitable." --St Francis de Sales

"The thing is--to be ready to die: and is there one of us who would quite like to die, doing as little for God as we are doing now?" --Fr Faber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:11 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Oh.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:12 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Oh.

:roll: :soap:

"Take it as a certain sign that your charity is not genuine if your words, no matter how true, are not charitable." --St Francis de Sales

"The thing is--to be ready to die: and is there one of us who would quite like to die, doing as little for God as we are doing now?" --Fr Faber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:15 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

When I read Padre Pio's letters, I saw that he often begged his spiritual directors for long letters. Maybe his directors were as laconic as you. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:16 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Quote:
When I read Padre Pio's letters, I saw that he often begged his spiritual directors for long letters.

That's interesting. Perhaps they were laconic, but what other reasons do you suppose he wanted a long letter?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:57 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

PDUBYA wrote:
Quote:
When I read Padre Pio's letters, I saw that he often begged his spiritual directors for long letters.

That's interesting. Perhaps they were laconic, but what other reasons do you suppose he wanted a long letter?
For a while as a young priest Padre Pio had to reside at his home village, outside of the community and away from any other friars, because of illness. My guess is that during this time of his life when he was steeped in heavy trials (physical sufferings, spiritual darkness and challenges, various doubts and concerns, and then also isolation and probably loneliness), he wanted not only words of advice from his directors but also their comfort and encouragements. Someone can give perfect advice in very few words, but that wouldn't carry with it much encouragement or consolation. I may be wrong, of course, and I don't want to be so bold as to speak for Padre Pio. :) That was just a guess of why he kept asking for longer letters. Also, I am sure that he had (and/or was developing) a holy resignation and if he received only brief replies to his letters he offered it up and bore it well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:11 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Dominicatella wrote:
PDUBYA wrote:
Quote:

For a while as a young priest Padre Pio had to reside at his home village, outside of the community and away from any other friars, because of illness. My guess is that during this time of his life when he was steeped in heavy trials (physical sufferings, spiritual darkness and challenges, various doubts and concerns, and then also isolation and probably loneliness), he wanted not only words of advice from his directors but also their comfort and encouragements. Someone can give perfect advice in very few words, but that wouldn't carry with it much encouragement or consolation. I may be wrong, of course, and I don't want to be so bold as to speak for Padre Pio. :) That was just a guess of why he kept asking for longer letters. Also, I am sure that he had (and/or was developing) a holy resignation and if he received only brief replies to his letters he offered it up and bore it well.

Interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:17 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Indeed.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:43 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Please feel free to give a different take. That was just my guess or impression. :) I went and got my book that has some of his letters and found a few examples of what I had vaguely remembered. I have to run in a minute and only skimmed through the first chapter of letters. They are from a bit later than I thought (I was expecting 1910 or 1911); I don't know whether Padre Pio was living at home or with his community at this point. But here are a few examples, if you are curious. These are in the conclusions of his letters:

March 18, 1915 -- "May Jesus give you knowledge of my current state. I am crucified by love, my dear father! My crisis is extremely painful. Pray to Jesus for me and do not fail to write lengthy and frequent letters to me."

April 21, 1915 -- "I give animated thanks to Jesus for the assurances that, in His name, you sent in your last letter. I pray then that, in showing me the charity of writing, you would add the additional charity of writing very lengthy letters. I realize that I am being very presumptuous with you, but pity my weakness. In my present state, your letters give me a tiny bit of light."

Another on April 21, 1915 -- "Write to me, when Jesus wills it, and always at length. I await your answers to my many problems, doubts, and difficulties as light from Paradise, as a beneficial dew on a thirsty plant." (Earlier in the letter he wrote about how he sometimes finds himself looking for a Simon of Cyrene to relieve and comfort him in his trials. He goes on to say: "Yes, my father, I have a very great desire to suffer for the love of Jesus. But how is it that when I am faced with trials, contrary to my will, I seek some solace? How much strength and violence must I muster up within me during these trials so as to reduce to silence my temperament, let's call it that, which demands consolation.")

October 22, 1918 -- "My father, now that the depths of my being are known to you, do not refuse to let a word of comfort reach me here in the midst of such severe and unyielding bitterness."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:51 pm 
Majesty
Majesty

PDUBYA wrote:

Not really, it has been 16 days since the last post in the vocations forum.

His mother said to his servants, "Do whatever he tells you." (John 2:5)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:47 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

lbt wrote:
PDUBYA wrote:

Not really, it has been 16 days since the last post in the vocations forum.

Unemotional and laconic...This could be the best response, yet.