Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 5   [ 96 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Is the use of expressions such as "for Christ's sake" offensive?
Yes 89%  89%  [ 48 ]
No 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Texas 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 54
 Post subject: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:24 am 

Religion: -----
Let's stop playing the games and be direct about what you want to know, shall we?

Our friend Knight's Templar is feeling misused and oppressed because his usage of the phrase "for Christ's sake" as an expression of his exasperation was called an offensive abuse of our Lord's name. He is trying to "prove" that either we are a bunch of overly-sensative people, or most people really agree with him that it is Ok to use the Lord's name in that manner.

What do you think? Are expressions such as "for Christ's sake" or "oh my God" where Our Lord's name is used in a casual manner offensive?

Post and Poll Edited by Admin

Pauperes commilitones Christi Templique Solomonici

Post subject: Re: Your Manner of Speaking
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:38 am 

I actually have a good reason for asking this question.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:54 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: KoC 3rd-Hon. Life Member
Wonder what it could be? :scratch:
Texas was the ONLY option.

Since the OP and poll have been edited, my reply and vote make no sense and does not a apply.
Edited for clarification.

Last edited by Kotton on Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:39 am 

Kotton wrote:
Wonder what it could be? :scratch:
Texas was the ONLY option.

Not the only one: I voted "Bar Brawler".

As for the reason: When someone else votes "Bar Brawler" I'll know there is someone here who I can PM and speak plainly to without hurting anyone's feelings. Something was done to me in another thread that was so outrageously stupid & unbelievable that I still can't believe it. Unfortunately, I can't post about it either.

Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:07 am 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Religion: One Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree K of C, L of M
If I say it as an expletive, then YES.

If I say it as a prayer, then NO.

But one word that is never offensive and always gets a laugh is:

FART

Judas Iscariot is the patron saint of Social Justice. Venerable Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

A logistics problem should be handled with a logistical solution, not a liturgical one.

Holy Mary, Queen of the Martyrs, Pray for us.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:09 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I'm surprised this question even needs to be asked on a Catholic board.

Scripture says that at the name of Jesus every knee should bend. It sounds like we are supposed to be giving utmost reverence to Our Lord's name. I don't think there's much wiggle room there.

Scripture also has a lot to say about being humble and like little children. For example, whoever humbles himself will be exalted and whoever exalts himself will be humbled. Something to think about.

"The time will come when people will not tolerate sound doctrine, but, following their own desires, will surround themselves with teachers who tickle their ears. They will stop listening to the truth and will wander off to fables" (2 Tm 4:3-4).

http://www.mythirtyone.com/107886

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:11 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
pax wrote:

FART

He used it as an expletive

Therefore.....let it burn.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:17 am 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Religion: One Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree K of C, L of M
Doom wrote:
pax wrote:

FART

Who? Kirk? or one of the aliens?

Judas Iscariot is the patron saint of Social Justice. Venerable Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

A logistics problem should be handled with a logistical solution, not a liturgical one.

Holy Mary, Queen of the Martyrs, Pray for us.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:18 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Subjectively a person may have formed the habit of abusing the Lord's name in this way without any deliberate malice, especially if that's a common fault in his environment. Objectively it is taking the Lord's name in vain. Obviously a person who has this bad habit and is made aware that it is wrong should try to amend his bad habit.

“Just as the commandment ‘Thou shalt not kill’ sets a clear limit in order to safeguard the value of human life, today we also have to say ‘thou shalt not’ to an economy of exclusion and inequality. Such an economy kills.” — Pope Francis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:24 am 

Quote:
Let's stop playing the games and be direct about what you want to know, shall we?
Our friend Knight's Templar is feeling misused and oppressed because his usage of the phrase "for Christ's sake" as an expression of his exasperation was called an offensive abuse of our Lord's name. He is trying to "prove" that either we are a bunch of overly-sensative people, or most people really agree with him that it is Ok to use the Lord's name in that manner.
What do you think? Are expressions such as "for Christ's sake" or "oh my God" where Our Lord's name is used in a casual manner offensive?

I find it facscinating that the person who decided to totally obliterate my OP, put his own words into my mouth, and tell everyone what I meant to say as if he is a mind-reader or something, is making the call to stop "playing games".

I am curious: Has any other member's OP ever been totally wiped clean and totally reworded by a Mod before? I have been in a few forums and this is the first time I have ever seen such a thing.

Well, just as the mod was wrong in the other thread, he is wrong here too. I am not trying to say that "most people really agree with" me; frankly I don't care who does and who doesn't. I am trying to find someone I can PM with who I can discuss things with & speak plainly to, man to man, without some whiner getting in my way & getting his drawers in a bunch. In fact, it is out of respect for other people who DO think saying "oh my God" is bad that I want to have someone to PM with, so they won't accidentally get offended.

Does that make sense, un-named moderator? Or maybe you want to wipe out this post to and put more of your words into my mouth? And speaking of that, since the OP is now all your words, I'd appreciate it if you took MY name off of YOUR WORDS. Please put your OWN name & avatar up on that OP

Doom wrote:

You READ it as an expletive.
I did not USE it as an explative.

Last edited by Knight Templar on Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:27 am 
King of Cool

Knight Templar wrote:
Quote:

I find it facscinating that the person who decided to totally obliterate my OP, put his own words into my mouth, and tell everyone what I meant to say as if he is a mind-reader or something, is making the call to stop "playing games".

I am curious: Has any other member's OP ever been totally wiped clean and totally reworded by a Mod before? I have been in a few forums and this is the first time I have ever seen such a thing.

Well, just as the mod was wrong in the other thread, he is wrong here too. I am not trying to say that "most people really agree with" me; frankly I don't care who does and who doesn't. I am trying to find someone I can PM with who I can discuss things with & speak plainly to, man to man, without some whiner getting in my way & getting his drawers in a bunch. In fact, it is out of respect for other people who DO think saying "oh my God" is bad that I want to have someone to PM with, so they won't accidentally get offended.

Does that make sense, un-named moderator? Or maybe you want to wipe out this post to and put more of your words into my mouth? And speaking of that, since the OP is now all your words, I'd appreciate it if you took MY name off of it and off of YOUR WORDS.

If you don't like it you are certainly free to leave. We've been more than patient with you and your behavior has only gotten worse and worse.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:33 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

KT, independent of whether you have been oppressed by moderators or whether it should matter what other people here think, there is the matter of the Second Commandment and what God thinks.

“Just as the commandment ‘Thou shalt not kill’ sets a clear limit in order to safeguard the value of human life, today we also have to say ‘thou shalt not’ to an economy of exclusion and inequality. Such an economy kills.” — Pope Francis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:34 am 

Doom wrote:
If you don't like it you are certainly free to leave.

So are you.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:37 am 
Board Administrator
Board Administrator

:) error #1 - I am not a man. I wasn't when I edited the other thread and I remain not a man.

#2 You aren't being picked on. Post not only get OBLITERATED as you call it by moderation they actually get removed, like the one I removed in the other thread that suggested you should have your mouth washed out with vinegar. That is the job of a moderator, to try to keep things civil and remove comments which are offensive to the general community.

#3 No one would mistake my words for yours. They are in red which indicates an ADMINISTRATOR has made a change to the post.

#4 If you are looking for someone who agrees with you that your offensive language is an acceptable part of everyday speech, a poll with follow up posts complaining about your mistreatment seems a rather silly way to try to find such a person, assuming they might actually exist. A better way would be to look for other people whose threads are frequently edited, who requires a heavy amount of moderation, and befriend such a person. Of course, you won't find many if any such people on the board as they usually disappear either because they dislike the "oppression" of the staff on this board or they are banned.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:38 am 
King of Cool

Knight Templar wrote:
Doom wrote:
If you don't like it you are certainly free to leave.

So are you.

I was here first, do you honestly think that because you changed your name we don't know how you are?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:40 am 

Max Kolbe wrote:
KT, independent of whether you have been oppressed by moderators or whether it should matter what other people here think, there is the matter of the Second Commandment and what God thinks.

I respect your opinion. I would not want to knowingly offend you. In fact, in fairness, I admit that in the one post where I said "for Christ's sake" I was genuinely p'd off, and upon reflection I should not have done that. Actually, I shouldn't have even let myself get that mad over a thread in the first place.

But the casual "Good Lord" or "My God" is not offensive TO ME. Maybe to you and others it is, but not to me. That is a point being missed here: Many people are offended by different things for whatever reason. I understand that. But I don't like when people speak of subjective things in absolutes, you know? Someone cannot just absolutely say "So-and So is offensive. Period." Because maybe other people think otherwise. If I see something bad, for example, and mutter to myself "Oh my Lord", I just don't see it as bad. If someone else does, that's fine, and that's their OPINION, but it is a subjective opinion, not objective fact.

Last edited by Knight Templar on Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:41 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Knight Templar wrote:
Max Kolbe wrote:

I respect your opinion. I would not want to knowingly offend you. In fact, in fairness, I admit that in the one post where I said "for Christ's sake" I was genuinely p'd off, and upon reflection I should not have done that. Actually, I shouldn't have even let myself get that mad over a thread in the first place.

But the casual "Good Lord" or "My God" is not offensive TO ME. Maybe to you and others it is, but not to me. That is a point being missed here: Many people are offended by different things for whatever reason. I understand that. But I don't like when people speak of subjective things in absolutes, you know? Someone cannot just absolutely say "So-and So is offensive. Period." Because maybe other people think otherwise. If I see something bad, for example, and mutter to myself "Oh my Lord", I just don't see it as bad. If someone else does, that's fine, and that';s their OPINION, but it is a subjective opinion.

It is offensive to the Lord. Who cares what anyone else thinks?

"The time will come when people will not tolerate sound doctrine, but, following their own desires, will surround themselves with teachers who tickle their ears. They will stop listening to the truth and will wander off to fables" (2 Tm 4:3-4).

http://www.mythirtyone.com/107886

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:42 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Knight Templar wrote:
Max Kolbe wrote:

But the casual "Good Lord" or "My God" is not offensive TO ME. Maybe to you and others it is, but not to me. That is a point being missed here: Many peoiple are offended by different things for whatever reason. I understand that. But I don't like when people speak of subjective things in absolutes, you know? Someone cannot just absolutely say "So-and So is offensive. Period." Because maybe other people think otherwise. If I see something bad, for example, and mutter to myself "Oh my Lord", I just don't see it as bad. If someone else does, that's fine, and that';s their OPINION, but it is a subjective opinion.

I said nothing whatsoever about any opinion of mine regarding whether such things are offensive to me, although I did vote in the poll on that question. What I specifically suggest you think about is whether it is offensive to the living God, regardless of how anyone here feels about it. Hope that helps.

Last edited by Max Kolbe on Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:42 am 
Board Administrator
Board Administrator

The question you need to ask is not does it offend you or me but, "Is it offensive to God?"

He gave 10 commandments. One, right near the top of the list, is "You Shall Not Take the Name of the Lord Your God in Vain." Seems like something to consider.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:44 am 

Benedetta wrote:
Knight Templar wrote:
Max Kolbe wrote:

But the casual "Good Lord" or "My God" is not offensive TO ME. Maybe to you and others it is, but not to me. That is a point being missed here: Many people are offended by different things for whatever reason. I understand that. But I don't like when people speak of subjective things in absolutes, you know? Someone cannot just absolutely say "So-and So is offensive. Period." Because maybe other people think otherwise. If I see something bad, for example, and mutter to myself "Oh my Lord", I just don't see it as bad. If someone else does, that's fine, and that';s their OPINION, but it is a subjective opinion.

It is offensive to the Lord. Who cares what anyone else thinks?

Again, in your opinion. Not mine.

At any rate, I can see this will go around in circles and have no end, so I'm jumping off the Merry-Go-Round. If there is a man here that would not mind being a person I can PM and talk to, someone who gets what I am saying, feel free to PM me. I'd appreciate it.

Max Kolbe wrote:
I said nothing whatsoever about any opinion of mine regarding whether such things are offensive to me, although I did vote in the poll on that question. What I specifically suggest you think about is whether it is offensive to the living God, regardless of how anyone here feels about it. Hope that helps.

In that case, all I can say is, God knows what is in my heart and He know my intentions, and He knows I never mean to offend Him. I guess thats all that really matters in the end.

Last edited by Knight Templar on Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 5   [ 96 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next