Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 5   [ 96 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Is the use of expressions such as "for Christ's sake" offensive?
Yes 89%  89%  [ 48 ]
No 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Texas 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 54
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:46 am 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:38 pm
Posts: 8410
Location: United States
Religion: Catholic
The Second Commandment and passages like 2146 and 2155 in the Catechism are not subjective opinions, are they?

_________________
Opinions expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of anyone else.

“Just as the commandment ‘Thou shalt not kill’ sets a clear limit in order to safeguard the value of human life, today we also have to say ‘thou shalt not’ to an economy of exclusion and inequality. Such an economy kills.” — Pope Francis


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:48 am 
Offline
King of Cool
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 11:30 am
Posts: 69024
Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Knight Templar wrote:
Max Kolbe wrote:
KT, independent of whether you have been oppressed by moderators or whether it should matter what other people here think, there is the matter of the Second Commandment and what God thinks.


I respect your opinion. I would not want to knowingly offend you. In fact, in fairness, I admit that in the one post where I said "for Christ's sake" I was genuinely p'd off, and upon reflection I should not have done that. Actually, I shouldn't have even let myself get that mad over a thread in the first place.

But the casual "Good Lord" or "My God" is not offensive TO ME. Maybe to you and others it is, but not to me. That is a point being missed here: Many people are offended by different things for whatever reason. I understand that. But I don't like when people speak of subjective things in absolutes, you know? Someone cannot just absolutely say "So-and So is offensive. Period." Because maybe other people think otherwise. If I see something bad, for example, and mutter to myself "Oh my Lord", I just don't see it as bad. If someone else does, that's fine, and that's their OPINION, but it is a subjective opinion, not objective fact.


What you really need to do is take an anger management class, and learn to stop flipping out and throwing a massive tantrum over every minor disagreement you have with someone.

_________________
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and they deserve to get it good and hard" HL Mencken

Therefore.....let it burn.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:53 am 
Offline
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:33 am
Posts: 8910
Religion: Catholic
Knight Templar wrote:
Again, in your opinion. Not mine.


It's not a matter of opinion.

_________________
"The time will come when people will not tolerate sound doctrine, but, following their own desires, will surround themselves with teachers who tickle their ears. They will stop listening to the truth and will wander off to fables" (2 Tm 4:3-4).

http://www.mythirtyone.com/107886


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:02 pm 
Offline
Ancient Mariner
Ancient Mariner
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:04 pm
Posts: 16957
Location: If I'm not there I must be here
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Honorary Member 3rd degree KC
Benedetta wrote:
Knight Templar wrote:
Again, in your opinion. Not mine.


It's not a matter of opinion.

No it isn't. It's a mortal sin.

_________________
The Gate of Heaven is the Door of the Confessional.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:15 pm 
Offline
**********
**********
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:24 pm
Posts: 1015
Religion: -----
DesertSailor wrote:
Benedetta wrote:
Knight Templar wrote:
Again, in your opinion. Not mine.
It's not a matter of opinion.

No it isn't. It's a mortal sin.



I want to get out of the thread, and I will, but I can't let that abuse pass:

1857 - For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: "Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent.

I know that what I said is not offensive in the abstract, although it may be offensive to some people here. For my saying "oh my God" to be a mortal sin, I had to do it with "full knowledge" that it was a mortal sin. But I don't think it is, and I don't see it that way, so it ain't. The Pope is going to have infallibly proclaim that phrase is a mortal sin before I am convinced it is. Your judgemntal high horse is just a leeeeetle too high up in the clouds there.

_________________



Pauperes commilitones Christi Templique Solomonici


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:16 pm 
Offline
DIY Guru Moderator
DIY Guru Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:25 pm
Posts: 15765
Location: Gone fishin'
Religion: Jesus said, "This IS My Body!"
WHen I teach classes in communication, I always emphasize that communication is not only what you said, but what the other person heard. What images did you place in someone's head? With this in mind, communication comes with a responsibility. WHile you may not be offended by a casual expletive or as may be the case a vulgar expletive, you have a duty to no place unwanted images in the minds of others.

There are many on this board who are extremely plain in their speech. I believe Doom's favorite rendition of people whose fathers are not married to their mothers goes along that lines. For most that is not causing undue concern. However, when you use the Lord's name in vain, even if you may not have wrong intentions, you cause the little voice in my mind that reads your words into brain to take the Lord's name in vain and whether your intentions are good or bad, everyone who read your post, has now taken the Lord's name in vain mentally along with you. You are responsible for that. THose who do not choose to use the Lord's name in such a casual manner are right to rail back about you putting such a thing in their head. That does not make them girly or less manly, etc. It makes them more respectful of the Lord.

_________________
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:20 pm 
Offline
Ancient Mariner
Ancient Mariner
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:04 pm
Posts: 16957
Location: If I'm not there I must be here
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Honorary Member 3rd degree KC
Knight Templar wrote:
DesertSailor wrote:
Benedetta wrote:
Knight Templar wrote:
Again, in your opinion. Not mine.
It's not a matter of opinion.

No it isn't. It's a mortal sin.



I want to get out of the thread, and I will, but I can't let that abuse pass:

1857 - For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: "Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent.

I know that what I said is not offensive in the abstract, although it may be offensive to some people here. For my saying "oh my God" to be a mortal sin, I had to do it with "full knowledge" that it was a mortal sin. But I don't think it is, and I don't see it that way, so it ain't. The Pope is going to have infallibly proclaim that phrase is a mortal sin before I am convinced it is. Your judgemntal high horse is just a leeeeetle too high up in the clouds there.


"Oh my god" is not a mortal sin. Saying Jesus Christ as an expletive is.

_________________
The Gate of Heaven is the Door of the Confessional.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:22 pm 
Offline
**********
**********
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:24 pm
Posts: 1015
Religion: -----
The M Word wrote:
WHen I teach classes in communication, I always emphasize that communication is not only what you said, but what the other person heard.........

Roger that. But what they heard cannot change my intent or what I felt in my heart..

The M Word wrote:
.......What images did you place in someone's head? With this in mind, communication comes with a responsibility. WHile you may not be offended by a casual expletive or as may be the case a vulgar expletive, you have a duty to no place unwanted images in the minds of others........


Well if that's the case, then Doom has commited multiple mortal sins for the snotty way he continually talks to me. I don't mind playing by those rules as long as everyone plays by those rules.

The M Word wrote:
.........There are many on this board who are extremely plain in their speech. I believe Doom's favorite rendition of people whose fathers are not married to their mothers goes along that lines........

I am not surprised at the hypocrisy.

The M Word wrote:
..........However, when you use the Lord's name in vain, even if you may not have wrong intentions, you cause the little voice in my mind that reads your words into brain to take the Lord's name in vain and whether your intentions are good or bad, everyone who read your post, has now taken the Lord's name in vain mentally along with you. You are responsible for that.........


There ain't no way on earth I am responsible for what other people THINK. Good grief man, I could use that to blame everyone from here to kingdom come for every crappy thing that floats through my head.

_________________



Pauperes commilitones Christi Templique Solomonici


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:27 pm 
Offline
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 7:55 am
Posts: 66303
Location: 1.56381501 radians
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Heribert Jone, in Moral Theology wrote:
I. Blasphemy is any speech or gesture that contains contempt for or insult to God. It is always mortally sinful.

It suffices that a person be conscious of the meaning of the words or signs used; it is not necessary that he have the direct intention to offer indignity to God.

...
II. Profanity, or the disrespectful use of the Holy Name in anger or thoughtlessly, is in itself only a venial sin.

Profanity may be seriously wrong if the anger that causes it is directed against God or if it appears, objectively, at least, that one intends thereby to vent his anger against most sacred objects. It may also be seriously sinful because of scandal or an erroneous conscience.

_________________
Nos autem in nomine Domini Dei nostri

Need something to read?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:28 pm 
Offline
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:26 am
Posts: 83134
Location: Revelation 11:19-12:1
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
read her post again slowly and maybe you'll catch on terry

_________________
All Marian devotion begins with Christ,is centered on Christ,and ends with Christ.
As Mary brought Jesus to us,so shall She bring us to Jesus!


De Maria numquam satis

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:29 pm 
Offline
DIY Guru Moderator
DIY Guru Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:25 pm
Posts: 15765
Location: Gone fishin'
Religion: Jesus said, "This IS My Body!"
ANd many people are responsible for the crappy things that float in your head. The fact that you allow them to float crap in your head repeatedly is your responsibility. If I search for an inoffensive key word on the internet and get a site where the first page is graphic porn, someone is responsible for putting that image in my head. If I return to that site and allow those images to be placed in my head, I am responsible.

When you posted the Lord's name in vain and all of us read it, you were responsible -- there was no warning -- BOOM, there it was and my mind had read it. If you are allowed to continue to do so on this board, then we are saying that this board, as a Catholic board, has decided that the commandment against taking the Lord's name in vain does not apply. At that point the mods of this board share responsibility for what you are placing in the heads of others. This is why it is an issue.

_________________
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:32 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2002 11:13 am
Posts: 32089
Location: Midwest
Religion: Catholic
Well so far 12 people to 1 think it's offensive.


SV

_________________
“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:35 pm 
Offline
**********
**********
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:24 pm
Posts: 1015
Religion: -----
St Veronica wrote:
Well so far 12 people to 1 think it's offensive.
SV

I think they are voting out of dislike for me more than anything else, not that I really care. Actually, since the OP still bears my name and I didn't write any of it, I'd appreciate it if it were locked.

_________________



Pauperes commilitones Christi Templique Solomonici


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:37 pm 
Offline
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 7:55 am
Posts: 66303
Location: 1.56381501 radians
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
When The Passion of the Christ first came out, nearly the entire seminary went to see it as a group. We were walking out of the theater in complete silence when it was over--not because we had been ordered to do that, but because there was nothing to say. Then someone (not a seminarian) shouted our Lord's Name (two word version) in anger at someone else. It felt as if I had been smacked in the face.

That's when I intuitively understood why it's always wrong to speak that way.

_________________
Nos autem in nomine Domini Dei nostri

Need something to read?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:38 pm 
Offline
**********
**********
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:24 pm
Posts: 1015
Religion: -----
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
When The Passion of the Christ first came out, nearly the entire seminary went to see it as a group. We were walking out of the theater in complete silence when it was over--not because we had been ordered to do that, but because there was nothing to say. Then someone (not a seminarian) shouted our Lord's Name (two word version) in anger at someone else. It felt as if I had been smacked in the face.

That's when I intuitively understood why it's always wrong to speak that way.


Did the film itself offend you? Many people WERE offended by it. Does that make Mel Gibson a mortal sinner for offending people with his film?

_________________



Pauperes commilitones Christi Templique Solomonici


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:42 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:38 pm
Posts: 8410
Location: United States
Religion: Catholic
Knight Templar wrote:
Did the film itself offend you? Many people WERE offended by it. Does that make Mel Gibson a mortal sinner for offending people with his film?

Are you a moral relativist? (I ask that sincerely, not as a rhetorical question to bait you.)

In other words, do you think there are things that are objectively wrong, and not just wrong in someone's opinion?

_________________
Opinions expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of anyone else.

“Just as the commandment ‘Thou shalt not kill’ sets a clear limit in order to safeguard the value of human life, today we also have to say ‘thou shalt not’ to an economy of exclusion and inequality. Such an economy kills.” — Pope Francis


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:43 pm 
Offline
DIY Guru Moderator
DIY Guru Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:25 pm
Posts: 15765
Location: Gone fishin'
Religion: Jesus said, "This IS My Body!"
Knight Templar wrote:
St Veronica wrote:
Well so far 12 people to 1 think it's offensive.
SV

I think they are voting out of dislike for me more than anything else, not that I really care. Actually, since the OP still bears my name and I didn't write any of it, I'd appreciate it if it were locked.


If there is one thing that I have always noted about this board, people do not choose sides by who they like or dislike. I have seen Catholics arguing with some foul atheists (they really were foul it is not a general statement about atheists) and the Catholic has been in error on something. I have seen other Catholics take a position counter to that Catholic they like and side with a foul atheist. Nobody is bearing false witness because they dislike you. To accuse them of breaking the commandment against bearing false witness lacks charity.

_________________
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:43 pm 
Offline
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 7:55 am
Posts: 66303
Location: 1.56381501 radians
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
You will note in the section I quoted above from a moral theology handbook that Desert Sailor was wrong to state that the misuse of the name of Our Lord is always a mortal sin. (Please note that I am arguing against DS here.)

_________________
Nos autem in nomine Domini Dei nostri

Need something to read?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:44 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:40 am
Posts: 8473
Location: Knoxville, TN
Religion: Catholic
KT, how on earth can you not find this objectively sinful? Seriously? You are taking the Lord's name in vain without question.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:47 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2002 11:13 am
Posts: 32089
Location: Midwest
Religion: Catholic
Knight Templar wrote:
St Veronica wrote:
Well so far 12 people to 1 think it's offensive.
SV

I think they are voting out of dislike for me more than anything else, not that I really care. Actually, since the OP still bears my name and I didn't write any of it, I'd appreciate it if it were locked.



You know it's quite prideful to think that the reason is due to dislike of you.


SV

_________________
“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 5   [ 96 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Candlemass and 4 guests


Jump to: