Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Attending the EF Mass but praying the current LOTH
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:08 pm 

Religion: Catholic
Does anyone here regularly attend the Extraordinary Form of the Mass yet pray the current form of the Liturgy of the Hours? Or do most who attend the EF, if they pray the LOTH at all, pray the pre-Vatican II version of the LOTH (or Divine Office, as it's usually called)? Just curious to see what others do (as for me, although I attend the EF Mass most Sundays, I can't seem to decide whether to say the current or older version of the LOTH -- for me each one has its pros and cons).

Post subject: Re: Attending the EF Mass but praying the current LOTH
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:20 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Welcome to the board! :wave

I go to daily Mass in the EF and used to pray exclusively the current LotH (I started saying the LotH before I began going to Mass in the EF). It's fine most of the time. You often miss out on the connections between the Office and the Mass, and it can be very annoying when it comes to things like octaves that aren't retained in the new calendar, feast days that in the OF are moved to the Sunday, seasonal differences (Septuagesima, for example), and other more major feast days that differ. But in general it's okay and definitely do-able. Depending on your lifestyle and preferences you may also find it desirable to have that connection with the newer calendar.

Do you know Latin well or were you considering getting that new English/Latin book for the older Office or what?

"Take it as a certain sign that your charity is not genuine if your words, no matter how true, are not charitable." --St Francis de Sales

"The thing is--to be ready to die: and is there one of us who would quite like to die, doing as little for God as we are doing now?" --Fr Faber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:06 pm 

Hey, thanks for the welcome!

Yeah, those are definitely some of the cons I had in mind regarding using the new breviary while attending the old Mass.

While I don't know Latin well, I am indeed considering getting that new English/Latin book. But until then, this site -- http://divinumofficium.com/cgi-bin/horas/officium.pl -- will be my means of praying the old breviary should I decide on that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:15 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that site. I should make more use of it.

Another thing you may be interested in is the little book called My Daily Psalm Book. It is just the psalms and canticles of the older Office. It goes right through the hours for each day for the week -- e.g., Friday Prime, then Friday Lauds, then Friday Terce, etc. It's a really inexpensive, really little book. I often use it for daytime hours, especially when I'm busy and out of the house, and I use it to assist me with the older Divine Office since I don't know Latin (I have the Diurnale Romanum, which is one-volume and has all the hours but Matins; it's entirely in Latin).

The LotH is a fine choice, though. It really depends on your preferences. The issues with straddling the two forms and calendars might bother you more, less, or differently than they bother me.

"Take it as a certain sign that your charity is not genuine if your words, no matter how true, are not charitable." --St Francis de Sales

"The thing is--to be ready to die: and is there one of us who would quite like to die, doing as little for God as we are doing now?" --Fr Faber