Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]   
Author Message
 Post subject: Will the New English Translation be Enough ?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:54 am 
Offline
Adept
Adept
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:59 am
Posts: 4350
Location: San Buenaventura, California
Religion: Catholic
A very good article by Fr. Mark of Vultus Christi...I agree, the translation is not enough to reform the deform, a conversion of hearts would help.


http://vultus.stblogs.org/2011/06/will- ... slati.html

_________________
An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn’t misuse it.- Pope St. John Paul II


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Will the New English Translation be Enough ?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:14 am 
Offline
The Exterminator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:44 pm
Posts: 22503
Location: The Old Forest
Religion: Númenórean Catholic
The new translation is not a reform, they're just correcting a few mistranslations.

_________________
Sent from my Obamaphone


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Will the New English Translation be Enough ?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:49 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:34 pm
Posts: 27828
Location: Sine Domum
Religion: Roman Catholic
Bombadil wrote:
The new translation is not a reform, they're just correcting a few mistranslations.

I vote you for understatement of the year. It is a not a few corrections, it is a new translation radically different (especially in the proper prayers) from the old one. And yes that is a reform.

_________________
Ignem veni mittere in terram, et quid volo nisi ut accendatur?.... Quid autem et a vobis ipsis non judicatis quod justum est?

My Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Will the New English Translation be Enough ?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:49 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:21 pm
Posts: 13683
Location: Joyfully Caught in the Net
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
Jakub wrote:
A very good article by Fr. Mark of Vultus Christi...I agree, the translation is not enough to reform the deform, a conversion of hearts would help.


http://vultus.stblogs.org/2011/06/will- ... slati.html

I think it's pretty clear that this is just one step of a continuing effort to "reform the reform".

_________________
"Oh, night that guided me, Oh, night more lovely than the dawn, Oh, night that joined Beloved with lover, Lover transformed in the Beloved!" St. John of the Cross


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Will the New English Translation be Enough ?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:32 pm 
Offline
The Exterminator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:44 pm
Posts: 22503
Location: The Old Forest
Religion: Númenórean Catholic
Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
The new translation is not a reform, they're just correcting a few mistranslations.

I vote you for understatement of the year. It is a not a few corrections, it is a new translation radically different (especially in the proper prayers) from the old one. And yes that is a reform.

I would think a reform would be a change in something. Technically it seems to me that almost nothing is changing. We're just fixing something to what it already is.

I know that a lot of the wording is changing and that you see that as being more substantial than I am representing it to be. The Novus Ordo isn't actually changing, that's my point. Only the English translation used in our missals is being change to more accurately reflect what is in the Latin original. The Novus Ordo and the "deform" that was mentioned is not limited to the U.S. or even English. So to expect this to be as substantial as returning to the TLM is foolhardy. Some see it as being close to that, I believe at one point that is sort of what I thought.

_________________
Sent from my Obamaphone


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Will the New English Translation be Enough ?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:28 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:34 pm
Posts: 27828
Location: Sine Domum
Religion: Roman Catholic
Bombadil wrote:
Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
The new translation is not a reform, they're just correcting a few mistranslations.

I vote you for understatement of the year. It is a not a few corrections, it is a new translation radically different (especially in the proper prayers) from the old one. And yes that is a reform.

I would think a reform would be a change in something. Technically it seems to me that almost nothing is changing. We're just fixing something to what it already is.

I know that a lot of the wording is changing and that you see that as being more substantial than I am representing it to be. The Novus Ordo isn't actually changing, that's my point. Only the English translation used in our missals is being change to more accurately reflect what is in the Latin original. .

1. The prayers while not all new, are substantially different. The translation has a substantial effect. Remember the old translation replaced certain prayers, cut out thing, and added new things not in the Latin.

2. Reform is just what it means. To re-form something. This is by definition a reform

3. You need to go look at the 2003 MR which, through its translation, is finally being implemented. There are other changes, including the restoration of the Vigil of Pentecost in many respects (at least for use as an option), thus undoing one element of the shortsighted 1955 reform of Holy Week which abolished the Vigil of Pentecost's peculiar ceremonies. The Vigil of Ascension is restored, for places that still have it as a holy day of obligation (the Missal, not the US bishops, moves it to Sunday when it is not a HDO). Several other feasts. There are certain rubrical changes. The abolishing of several Eucharistic prayers, etc

_________________
Ignem veni mittere in terram, et quid volo nisi ut accendatur?.... Quid autem et a vobis ipsis non judicatis quod justum est?

My Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]   


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


Jump to: