Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 3   [ 46 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Tattoos
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:23 am 
Master
Master

Religion: Sacramental Protestant
This is a rather off hand, not very theologically deep question, but for a wee while I have been considering getting a tattoo, what is the Churches stance on getting such things?

"You flourish in wealth, and boast of the society of the great and powerful; you rejoice in the beauty of the body and the honours which men pay to you. Consider yourself, that you are mortal, that you are earth, and into the earth you shall go"

Post subject: Re: Tattoos
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:40 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: CDoA, SSVdP
Morally neutral.

As someone WITH tattoos, I would advise you to wait until later in life to make such a decision. I wanted one forever, didn't actually do it until I was 30.

Last edited by kage_ar on Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:51 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
INsearch wrote:
This is a rather off hand, not very theologically deep question, but for a wee while I have been considering getting a tattoo, what is the Churches stance on getting such things?

Good article on this

http://tradcatholicperspective.blogspot ... rcing.html

It is not per se wrong. But it can be (for instance diabolical images, vanity, etc). What would be moderation in the amount of tattooing is in part a cultural thing. For instance, it would be immodest in the US to have facial tattoos, but not say in Guam. One wants to avoid the vice of singularity, which is an offense against modesty. That is, one should not seek to draw undue attention to oneself or to shock others unduly. Excessive tattooing does both of these. But a small tattoo not so much.

My Blog

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:01 pm 
Adept
Adept

Church Affiliations: KofC
Go for it. I am Going to get Our Lady of Guadalupe with St Juan Diego on my right arm (during my pilgrimage to the Tulma).... St Patrick on my right calf (After I climb Croagh Patrick)... I may get the Cross of St Brigid in the next month or so. Got a few already.... one I wish I didn't.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:57 am 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
People may look at you differently if they see that you have tattoos. If they're visible you may experience a diminished capacity to procure employment. Said in the interest of full disclosure.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:02 am 

Religion: Catholic
Yes there are some jobs that you cannot qualify for if you have visible tattoos. State trooper (in this state), some branches of the military, some grocery stores, banks etc etc.

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:23 am 
The Exterminator

St Veronica wrote:
Yes there are some jobs that you cannot qualify for if you have visible tattoos. State trooper (in this state), some branches of the military, some grocery stores, banks etc etc.

SV

many retail stores, service industry jobs, etc. It's bad when you can mark off 'industries'. Basically any job where the customer would see you it is generally frowned upon, often explicitly forbidden in company policy. I've both fired and seen people fired who got visible tattoos during their employment.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:57 am 
Adept
Adept

Bombadil wrote:
St Veronica wrote:

SV

many retail stores, service industry jobs, etc. It's bad when you can mark off 'industries'. Basically any job where the customer would see you it is generally frowned upon, often explicitly forbidden in company policy. I've both fired and seen people fired who got visible tattoos during their employment.

But, as time goes on, such discrimination is not going to be legal. Service industry jobs are seeing more and more tattoo/body mods as a semi-normal thing. In some towns, as a very normal thing...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:19 am 
The Exterminator

Servant of Guadalupe wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
St Veronica wrote:

SV

But, as time goes on, such discrimination is not going to be legal. Service industry jobs are seeing more and more tattoo/body mods as a semi-normal thing. In some towns, as a very normal thing...

You could be right, I was simply stating the facts. Most of those towns are not places I'd want to live.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:25 am 
Adept
Adept

Bombadil wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
St Veronica wrote:

SV

You could be right, I was simply stating the facts. Most of those towns are not places I'd want to live.

I wasn't trying to refute you... sorry if it looked that way. Was just making an observation of what I have seen across the USA. I do not like living in such places either, though I do like tattoos. I will never get a tattoo that cannot be covered up. The last ones I got cover the tops of my feet. Easy to cover up ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:28 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic

'Discrimination'? Has Americans sense of arrogant entitlement gotten so bad that we are now talking about 'discrimination' against people with tattoos?

Let's get this straight: you are not entitled to be hired by anybody, for anything ever. When someone gives you a job, they are doingn you a favor, no one is under any obligation to hire you, and the decision to not hire someone can be based on ANY factor that the employer considers important. The employer can choose not to hire you for any reason he likes, you're too fat, you're too ugly, he doesn't like the smell of your cologne, he doesn't like your shoes, you wore white after Labor Day.....the employer can choose not to hire someone due to ANYTHING that he consider relevant. Henry Ford has a rule that he would never hire somebody who asked for salt at the dinner table....many employers have a rule that they won't hire somebody who asks about vacation time during the interview.....

And if the employer has a rule that he won't hire someone who has visible tattoos...then well....that's his right and I if you have visible tattoos that you refuse to cover up then well I guess it sucks to be you.

What's next, are we going to pass laws forbidding 'discrimination' against the stupid, the lazy and the incompetent?

Therefore.....let it burn.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:45 am 
Adept
Adept

Doom wrote:
. Henry Ford has a rule that he would never hire somebody who asked for salt at the dinner table....
Not quite true. He would not hire them if they put salt in their dish prior to tasting the dish :fyi:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:38 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
The last ones I got cover the tops of my feet

those had to hurt!!!

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:21 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Discrimination has a long way to go before we get to calling cosmetic choices into the game.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:55 pm 
The Exterminator

Doom wrote:
. Henry Ford has a rule that he would never hire somebody who asked for salt at the dinner table....
Not quite true. He would not hire them if they put salt in their dish prior to tasting the dish :fyi:

Seems to me people who work outside put salt in their dish prior to tasting more often than others.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:56 pm 
The Exterminator

kage_ar wrote:
Discrimination has a long way to go before we get to calling cosmetic choices into the game.

I think such would really be a loss of freedom and not a gain.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:14 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: As I understand it.....in God's will. This is the best place to be.
Religion: Byzantine Catholic
Church Affiliations: Past Grand Knight KoC 15107
kage_ar wrote:
Morally neutral.

As someone WITH tattoos, I would advise you to wait until later in life to make such a decision. I wanted one forever, didn't actually do it until I was 30.

You have a tat????? :shock:

Trophy dwarf with tat!!!!!

Wow!!!

Just curious. Whatcha got?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:49 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

I have two, one is a peacock the other is stylized music (the first 7 notes of Amazing Grace).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:38 pm 
Adept
Adept

faithfulservant wrote:
The last ones I got cover the tops of my feet

those had to hurt!!!
The top of the feet is the most painful place on the body to get tattooed... It was the worst pain I have ever felt in my life. Up-side, about an hour after each of them was done, I was in endorphin heaven! I was so naturally high it was amazing! I loved it!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:05 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
i know...that's what my doctor told me....top of the feet have the most nerve endings of any part of the body

De Maria numquam satis

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 3   [ 46 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next