Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Latin Dictionary
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:46 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
I need to get a Latin dictionary. Does it matter which one I get? This one is only $5.99 new and got 4.5 stars on Amazon, so is that one fine?

Thanks! :)

"Take it as a certain sign that your charity is not genuine if your words, no matter how true, are not charitable." --St Francis de Sales

"The thing is--to be ready to die: and is there one of us who would quite like to die, doing as little for God as we are doing now?" --Fr Faber

Post subject: Re: Latin Dictionary
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:26 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
I think you'll want an ecclesiastical Latin dictionary. The only one I know of is this one: http://www.amazon.com/Dictionary-Eccles ... 332&sr=1-1 It's not terrific, but it's not awful and it's the only game in town.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:40 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

OK, cool, thanks, Father. That makes sense. After I posted the thread I saw that for the dictionary I linked to in the OP, one of the reviewers said they chose that one because it included vulgarities... That sort of made me wonder whether it would have the vocab I would need.

"Take it as a certain sign that your charity is not genuine if your words, no matter how true, are not charitable." --St Francis de Sales

"The thing is--to be ready to die: and is there one of us who would quite like to die, doing as little for God as we are doing now?" --Fr Faber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:19 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I think you'll want an ecclesiastical Latin dictionary. The only one I know of is this one: http://www.amazon.com/Dictionary-Eccles ... 332&sr=1-1 It's not terrific, but it's not awful and it's the only game in town.

But it also really is not a Latin dictionary as such. It is a dictionary of ecclesiastical jargon. Helpful for looking up a term, eg. latae sententiae, but not helpful for reading Latin unless you already have at least a basic vocabulary down.

Langenscheidt Pocket Latin Dictionary is my favorite for small and portable. Lewis and Short obviously if you need a giant comprehensive dictionary. The one in the OP is good, Traupmann also did a conversational Latin book. Ignore the comment about vulgarities. They should be in the dictionary. How else would you read any classical Latin?

My Blog

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:29 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Thanks, PED.

So unless Father disagrees I guess I should just get some normal looking Latin dictionary. I'm going to go to the bookstore soon to look at Bibles (which I prefer to look at in person rather than buy online) so maybe I'll check out the Latin dictionaries, too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:21 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I'm not sure what book PED thinks this is, but it's not a book of ecclesiastical terms. It does have a supplement of those in the back, to be sure, but the editor's goal was "to prepare as inclusive a listing as possible of words from Sacred Scripture, from the Code of Canon Law, from the liturgy, and from the documents of Vatican II." It's a Latin-English dictionary focusing on terms as they are used in the Church. I do not think Domincatella is planning to read classical Latin in general, but wishes to concentrate on things written in an ecclesiastical context.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:03 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I'm not sure what book PED thinks this is, but it's not a book of ecclesiastical terms. It does have a supplement of those in the back, to be sure, but the editor's goal was "to prepare as inclusive a listing as possible of words from Sacred Scripture, from the Code of Canon Law, from the liturgy, and from the documents of Vatican II." It's a Latin-English dictionary focusing on terms as they are used in the Church. I do not think Domincatella is planning to read classical Latin in general, but wishes to concentrate on things written in an ecclesiastical context.

Well that does sound just like what I need. My guess is that it will be mainly for the psalms, prayers, and scripture, at least in the beginning.

You two can duke it out and I'll buy whatever you tell me. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:08 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

See if this preview looks good to you: http://books.google.com/books?id=vNREAA ... &q&f=false

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:15 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

The Langenschmidt one is smaller and more portable; the one I recommended is larger and less portable. I don't know how much space/weight/convenience of transport play into your decision.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:19 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
See if this preview looks good to you: http://books.google.com/books?id=vNREAA ... &q&f=false

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

You are so crazy it even takes me by surprise every once in a while. :P

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:23 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
The Langenschmidt one is smaller and more portable; the one I recommended is larger and less portable. I don't know how much space/weight/convenience of transport play into your decision.
I don't know either. I have no idea how I'm getting all this stuff to the convent anyway. I'm pretty sure I can't get everything there by myself in a suitcase. (This is probably one reason they want parents to accompany you! To help transport things!)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:38 am 
Majesty
Majesty

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

Hmm. That's about QUINCE, nothing related to Latin.

His mother said to his servants, "Do whatever he tells you." (John 2:5)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:31 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

This is true, perhaps jargon was the wrong way to describe it. But it limps as a stand alone dictionary. You will get more of the Psalms or St. Thomas using Caswell. It has a very limited vocabulary is the issue, precisely because it focuses on words that have an ecclesiastical twist to them. For instance, on any given page of the Vulgate dozen or more words will be missing. I guess it matters how much mileage you need to get from it.

My Blog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:38 pm 
Majesty
Majesty

My own feeling is that we need two Latin dictionaries: ecclesiastical and classical.

With them, you would be able at least read those Latin documents from the Vatican site:

http://www.vatican.va/latin/latin_index.html

His mother said to his servants, "Do whatever he tells you." (John 2:5)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:11 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I'm only getting one.

I guess if it's true that the one Father suggested would be lacking when it comes to scripture, particularly the psalms, then I'll just get one of the normal ones, the Caswell or the one in the OP maybe. (The one with the funny name starting with L is harder to fine, it looks like.)