Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Systematic Theology
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:38 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd degree KofC
Does anyone have any thoughts on this text for the study of systematic theology?

http://www.amazon.com/Systematic-Theolo ... 0800662911

Post subject: Re: Systematic Theology
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:41 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Are you taking a class or something? Because that doesn't exactly look like light reading.

Therefore.....let it burn.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:44 pm 
Master
Master

Doom wrote:
Are you taking a class or something? Because that doesn't exactly look like light reading.

Just want a good book that is well grounded in sound Catholic teachings and doctrines. Have you read this text?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:46 pm 
King of Cool

No I'm not familiar with it...my advice is to start with something a little lower, that looks like an academic text I'm not sure you'll get much from it...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:50 pm 
Master
Master

Doom wrote:
No I'm not familiar with it...my advice is to start with something a little lower, that looks like an academic text I'm not sure you'll get much from it...

I have an extensive background of reading and studying theology. I have an undergraduate degree in Theology, and I was hoping that this would give me additional insight and challenges, furthering my understanding of Church teachings.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:55 pm 
King of Cool

Nevertheless it doesn't look like light reading, it looks like something that would require extensive time and dedication, I've got a Phd in mathematics yet I would be reluctant to pick up a math textbook off the shelf and start reading simply because I know I won't have the time to devote to it.....that doesn't look like something that you can just sit down and read.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:11 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
I applied my blurb test: It doesn't matter what the blurbs say, but who wrote them. In this case, the first blurb is from Fr. Richard McBrien, who is not noted for his outspoken adherence to the teachings of the Church, and therefore I wouldn't read the book.

A much better choice would be The Shape of Catholic Theology, by Aidan Nichols.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:15 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

ExsurgeDomine wrote:
Does anyone have any thoughts on this text for the study of systematic theology?

If you want to study theology you won't find it there. :fyi:

What you will find is someone, though affiliated in name with Catholicism, is thoroughly in the academic clime of liberal protestantism. Fiorenza is not a reliable source

But don't trust me on this, just hear what others have to say

"I welcome this second edition of Systematic Theology: Roman Catholic Perspectives and congratulate the editors for their efforts in bringing it out in a single volume. It is an excellent collection of the writings of some of the best Catholic theologians, and I strongly recommend it." --Richard P. McBrien, University of Notre Dame

Fr. McBrien recommends it. That should be enough not to buy it. If he recommended brushing my teeth I might very well stop...

My Blog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:51 pm 
Master
Master

Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
ExsurgeDomine wrote:

What you will find is someone, though affiliated in name with Catholicism, is thoroughly in the academic clime of liberal protestantism. Fiorenza is not a reliable source

"I welcome this second edition of Systematic Theology: Roman Catholic Perspectives and congratulate the editors for their efforts in bringing it out in a single volume. It is an excellent collection of the writings of some of the best Catholic theologians, and I strongly recommend it." --Richard P. McBrien, University of Notre Dame

Fr. McBrien recommends it. That should be enough not to buy it. If he recommended brushing my teeth I might very well stop...

That's harsh. He is that far apart?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:11 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Yes that is harsh. But it takes some doing to get your book censured by the American bishops. Very few (only one other than I can immediately think) have such an "honor" And his book was condemned back in 1981, when, arguably, the likelihood of such was less than today (though the USCCB had been more "conservative" in the 70's than many bishop conferences).

My Blog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:03 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Dominic wrote:
Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
ExsurgeDomine wrote:

That's harsh. He is that far apart?

As an ND grad, let me say that he is probably farther apart than that.