Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 9 of 14   [ 279 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sci-fi
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:12 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
ghall512 wrote:
sunmumy wrote:
The best Catholic written work of hard SF is a Canticle for Leibowitz, Miller unfortunately fell away.

I LOVED A Canticle for Leibowitz! I had to read it in Middle School, and although I dislike Science Fiction literature in general (I prefer historical fiction and Tom Clancy's stuff), this book was the most notable exception.

That's wonderful that Canticle was on your middle school reading list. I think the closest we got to any SF was 1984.

If you like Tom Clancy you might like Jerry Pournelle's work, or David Weber's (which GKC and I have been talking about through this thread). The action tends to move a bit faster in Pournelle, not that there isn't a lot of action in Weber, only that there is a lot of character development and political intrigue in between the action sequences. I'm sure GKC could recommend more if you're interested.

Quote:
Also, if you don't mind the genre being thoroughly skewered by irreverence, read Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker trilogy--all five books. Warning, though: you'll either love it or hate it. There is no middle ground.

I don't know if there's middle ground or not but I didn't like it. Well, I should temper that statement. I didn't like what I heard about it, so I never read it.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:48 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Bagheera wrote:
ghall512 wrote:
sunmumy wrote:
The best Catholic written work of hard SF is a Canticle for Leibowitz, Miller unfortunately fell away.

I LOVED A Canticle for Leibowitz! I had to read it in Middle School, and although I dislike Science Fiction literature in general (I prefer historical fiction and Tom Clancy's stuff), this book was the most notable exception.

That's wonderful that Canticle was on your middle school reading list. I think the closest we got to any SF was 1984.

If you like Tom Clancy you might like Jerry Pournelle's work, or David Weber's (which GKC and I have been talking about through this thread). The action tends to move a bit faster in Pournelle, not that there isn't a lot of action in Weber, only that there is a lot of character development and political intrigue in between the action sequences. I'm sure GKC could recommend more if you're interested.

Quote:
Also, if you don't mind the genre being thoroughly skewered by irreverence, read Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker trilogy--all five books. Warning, though: you'll either love it or hate it. There is no middle ground.

I don't know if there's middle ground or not but I didn't like it. Well, I should temper that statement. I didn't like what I heard about it, so I never read it.

I almost never like humor/satire as the foundation for my SF. No Discworld for me. But the opera bouffe of the HITCHHIKER series I liked a great deal, esp. in the radio version, the BBC TV version, and, lastly, in the books, that being the order I experienced the work. I would hate to not know why the answer is said to be 42.

GKC

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:56 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
GKC wrote:
I would hate to not know why the answer is said to be 42.

It is typical of Adams' absurdist humor, what he is actually saying is that existence is meaningless and random...which is the theme of the 'Hitchhiker's Guide', which is an explicitly atheistic work.

Therefore.....let it burn.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:44 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
GKC wrote:

It is typical of Adams' absurdist humor, what he is actually saying is that existence is meaningless and random...which is the theme of the 'Hitchhiker's Guide', which is an explicitly atheistic work.

And, also, funny.

I do wish I had my copy of GUIDE signed.

But I do have my copy of DIRK GENTLY'S HOLISTIC DETECTIVE AGENCY signed.

You mean it's not 42?

GKC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:46 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

ghall512 wrote:
sunmumy wrote:

CANTICLE is in my top 3 favorite SF books. Sometimes it moves up to 1, sometimes down to 3.

GKC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:48 pm 
King of Cool

GKC wrote:
Doom wrote:
GKC wrote:

And, also, funny.

Indeed, it is very funny.....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:41 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

GKC wrote:
CANTICLE is in my top 3 favorite SF books. Sometimes it moves up to 1, sometimes down to 3.

If I had to vote I would probably put Mote at #1. But Canticle is definitely up there.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:47 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Bagheera wrote:
GKC wrote:

If I had to vote I would probably put Mote at #1. But Canticle is definitely up there.

Sometimes MOTE is #1, sometimes, #2. I think it depends on the weather.

GKC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:10 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

So we have Mote and Canticle in your top 3. What's the other one?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:00 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Bagheera wrote:
So we have Mote and Canticle in your top 3. What's the other one?

It varies, depending on the climate. Sometimes I'm yearning for my childhood, and it's Heinlein's ROLLING STONES or SPACE CADET, or STARMAN JONES.

Sometimes it's the whole FOUNDATION TRILOGY, or Jack McDevitt's TALENT FOR WAR. Less often, it's Vernor Vinge's A FIRE UPON THE DEEP. Or more likely van Vogt's VOYAGE OF THE SPACE BEAGLE (he was the first SF author I ever met), Sometimes I lose control and try to shove all the Weber-authored Honorverse in there. Sometimes I lose focus and think it's John Myers Myers SILVERLOCK or Tim Powers DECLARE, or the first three Deryni novels by Kurtz. Randall Garret's Lord Darcy books, esp. TOO MANY MAGICIANS, alternate history in which magic functions, scientifically. Niven's RINGWORLD. A large chunk of Poul Anderson: KNIGHT OF GHOSTS AND SHADOWS can fill in, for many others of his. Gene Wolfe's NIGHTSIDE THE LONG SUN, to stop naming multi-title groups.

These circulate and weave in and out. But MOTE and CANTICLE always come at the top, somewhere.

After titles like these, things get crowded, fast.

And you?

GKC

Last edited by GKC on Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:36 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

If I had to choose, it would probably be Foundation. There aren't many more SF books I can pick up, open to a random page, and start reading.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:47 pm 
King of Cool

They're working on a Foundation movie....produced by Dean Devlin and directed Roland Emmerich...the same team responsible for Independence Day and 2012....which means it will probably star Will Smith and will suck.....it seems Issac Asimov and Philip K Dick are both cursed to never have a decent movie adaptation.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:50 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
They're working on a Foundation movie....produced by Dean Devlin and directed Roland Emmerich...the same team responsible for Independence Day and 2012....which means it will probably star Will Smith and will suck.....it seems Issac Asimov and Philip K Dick are both cursed to never have a decent movie adaptation.

OK by me, as for as Philip is concerned.

GKC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:51 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Bagheera wrote:
If I had to choose, it would probably be Foundation. There aren't many more SF books I can pick up, open to a random page, and start reading.

Sounds good to me.

GKC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:00 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
Bagheera wrote:

The Mule is probably my favorite foundation book, but if I were stranded on an island it'd have to be Card's Ender's Game right now.....

The image of the Mother of God demonstrates the basic spiritual attitude which corresponds to woman’s natural vocation; her relation to her husband is one of obedience, trust, and participation in his life as she furthers his objective tasks and personality development; to the child she gives true care, encouragement, and formation of his God-given talents; she offers both selfless surrender and a quiet withdrawal when unneeded. -
Edith Stein

Formerly Sunmumy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:46 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

FOUNDATION is a poor choice for an Asimov-inspired movie IMHO. A better choice would be one of the Lije Nailey/R. Daneel Olivaw books.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:27 am 
King of Cool

Bagheera wrote:
FOUNDATION is a poor choice for an Asimov-inspired movie IMHO.

I think it will prove to be pretty close to impossible to adapt, their choices will be to either scrap the actual storyline entirely and make up something else with the same name (which is almost certainly what they will do) or to follow the book and end up making the most boring move ever...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:06 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Doom wrote:
Bagheera wrote:
FOUNDATION is a poor choice for an Asimov-inspired movie IMHO.

I think it will prove to be pretty close to impossible to adapt, their choices will be to either scrap the actual storyline entirely and make up something else with the same name (which is almost certainly what they will do) or to follow the book and end up making the most boring move ever...

Agreed. It is not movie material at all as it is. It's not even a single story! I don't think a movie that's a series of brief vignettes would work at all.

I could totally see The Caves of Steel working as a movie, though.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:37 pm 
King of Cool

Bagheera wrote:
Agreed. It is not movie material at all as it is. It's not even a single story! I don't think a movie that's a series of brief vignettes would work at all.

It can, as movies like M*A*S*H and A Christmas Story prove, but it is very difficult to do...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:46 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Doom wrote:
Bagheera wrote:

It can, as movies like M*A*S*H and A Christmas Story prove, but it is very difficult to do...

I don't think that's quite the same because Foundation's vignettes would have completely different characters.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 9 of 14   [ 279 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next