Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 10 of 14   [ 279 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sci-fi
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:52 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
It could work but it would be difficult for anyone who hadn't read the book to follow....really, adapting Foundation is just a bad idea....

Therefore.....let it burn.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:01 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
It could work but it would be difficult for anyone who hadn't read the book to follow....really, adapting Foundation is just a bad idea....

Let's ignore it.

GKC

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:16 pm 
King of Cool

GKC wrote:
Doom wrote:

Let's ignore it.

GKC

I haven't seen I, Robot, or Bicentennial Man, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy or Starship Troopers....and I cannot imagine I would watch a Foundation movie if it was made...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:31 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
GKC wrote:
Doom wrote:

Let's ignore it.

GKC

I haven't seen I, Robot, or Bicentennial Man, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy or Starship Troopers....and I cannot imagine I would watch a Foundation movie if it was made...

The BBC Hitchhiker's Guide was watchable.

GKC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:36 pm 
King of Cool

GKC wrote:
Doom wrote:
GKC wrote:
Doom wrote:

Let's ignore it.

GKC

GKC

I'm talking about the 2005 theatrical film....and really trying to make 'Hitchhiker' into a movie is dumb in the first place, as 90% of the humor comes from the style in which it is written....which obviously cannot be translated into film.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:05 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
GKC wrote:
Doom wrote:
GKC wrote:
Doom wrote:

Let's ignore it.

GKC

GKC

I'm talking about the 2005 theatrical film....and really trying to make 'Hitchhiker' into a movie is dumb in the first place, as 90% of the humor comes from the style in which it is written....which obviously cannot be translated into film.

I figured you were speaking of the theatrical film.

The BBC version is watchable.

GKC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:11 pm 
King of Cool

The BBC radio version is actually the original, the books are an adaptation of the radio show....but then I bet you know that

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:41 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
The BBC radio version is actually the original, the books are an adaptation of the radio show....but then I bet you know that

Yes.

GKC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:10 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
But GKC surely isn't talking about the radio series since he said it was "watchable." I assume he's talking about this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hitchh ... _series%29

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:25 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Bagheera wrote:
But GKC surely isn't talking about the radio series since he said it was "watchable." I assume he's talking about this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hitchh ... _series%29

Yes. Or, to put it another way, both. The radio series, which was the first exposure I had to it (IIRC, while walking around THE CHANGE OF HOBBIT SF book store, just north of LA airport, at some time I can't recall, I first heard something being played, talking about white mice and an experiment). I then heard the whole thing on NPR, while stationed in Florida. Then got the audio tapes. Then saw the BBC TV series, while stationed in Virginia. Then got the VHS tapes.

Then bought the books.

Ignored the theatrical version, though I did see about 3 mins. of it, on cable, before changing the station.

GKC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:07 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
Bagheera wrote:
Doom wrote:
Bagheera wrote:
FOUNDATION is a poor choice for an Asimov-inspired movie IMHO.

I think it will prove to be pretty close to impossible to adapt, their choices will be to either scrap the actual storyline entirely and make up something else with the same name (which is almost certainly what they will do) or to follow the book and end up making the most boring move ever...

Agreed. It is not movie material at all as it is. It's not even a single story! I don't think a movie that's a series of brief vignettes would work at all.

I could totally see The Caves of Steel working as a movie, though.

Did you say you knew it was in progress?

http://sciencefictionworld.com/films/sc ... cers-.html

The image of the Mother of God demonstrates the basic spiritual attitude which corresponds to woman’s natural vocation; her relation to her husband is one of obedience, trust, and participation in his life as she furthers his objective tasks and personality development; to the child she gives true care, encouragement, and formation of his God-given talents; she offers both selfless surrender and a quiet withdrawal when unneeded. -
Edith Stein

Formerly Sunmumy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:23 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

GKC wrote:
OK by me, as for as Philip is concerned.

I know you didn't like Palmer Eldritch but what about The Man in the High Castle and Flow My Tears the Policeman Said?

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:25 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

sunmumy wrote:
Did you say you knew it was in progress?

http://sciencefictionworld.com/films/sc ... cers-.html

Had no clue. I hope the producers know more about it than the person who wrote that article.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:24 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Bagheera wrote:
GKC wrote:
OK by me, as for as Philip is concerned.

I know you didn't like Palmer Eldritch but what about The Man in the High Castle and Flow My Tears the Policeman Said?

CASTLE, marginally ok, because it falls into alternate history which I am generally fond of. TEARS I have no use for. Or near future dystopias, in general.

I have never read a PKD book that I have enjoyed, CASTLE marginally excepted. I have never read a PKD book twice. I have not looked at a PKD book since around 1991.

GKC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:22 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

GKC wrote:
CASTLE, marginally ok, because it falls into alternate history which I am generally fond of. TEARS I have no use for. Or near future dystopias, in general.

I have never read a PKD book that I have enjoyed, CASTLE marginally excepted. I have never read a PKD book twice. I have not looked at a PKD book since around 1991.

Tell us how you really feel. ::):

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:35 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Bagheera wrote:
GKC wrote:

Tell us how you really feel. ::):

:barf:

Include Ballard, Disch, Vonnegut, Delany, Brunner, Spinrad, others.

I need to stop this excessive use of smilies I've developed.

GKC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:38 am 

Church Affiliations: Militia of the Immaculata
I am joining rather late to the discussion so I will just add my recommendations, which have probably already been offered so my apologies in advance.

1. C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy

2. Robert A. Heinlein's Starship Troopers. Forget the movie. That was a tragedy. Read the book and disregard everything you know about the film.

3. Timothy Zahn's Star Wars Thrawn trilogy. This tells of the events following the fall of the Emperor Palpatine and of the struggles of the New Republic to get back on its feet.

4. Frank Herbert's Dune I was hesitant at first to read this, however, after diving into it I was fascinated by a space fantasy that mixes the Old Testament and the stories related to the prophet Mohammed with modern Western culture and our middle eastern energy dependence. Unique. The oil...er...the spice must flow!

“A thing may be too sad to be believed or too wicked to be believed or too good to be believed; but it cannot be too absurd to be believed in this planet of frogs and elephants, of crocodiles and cuttle-fish.” - G.K. Chesterton

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:47 am 
King of Cool

angelicdoctor wrote:
Timothy Zahn's Star Wars Thrawn trilogy. This tells of the events following the fall of the Emperor Palpatine and of the struggles of the New Republic to get back on its feet.

Heh, heh, some definite 'soft' sci fi, but excellent nonetheless...if only the rest of the Expanded Universe was as good as the Thrawn trilogy, I wouldn't have given up on it 15 years ago.....indeed, I liked it so much that I started reading some of Timothy Zahn's other non Star Wars related works, 'Cascade Point' and all that....he's a great writer, and Grand Admiral Thrawn is still the ULTIMATE Star Wars villian.....and I think we tend to forget how many of Zahn's ideas actually became canon and were incorporated into the prequels....before 'Heir To The Empire', the capital world 'Coruscant' was simply called 'Imperial City' (obviously just a stand in until they could come up with a real name)...too bad Zahn couldn't have written the screenplays to the Prequel Trilogy...

Quote:
4. Frank Herbert's Dune I was hesitant at first to read this, however, after diving into it I was fascinated by a space fantasy that mixes the Old Testament and the stories related to the prophet Mohammed with modern Western culture and our middle eastern energy dependence. Unique. The oil...er...the spice must flow!

The first book is okay, but the series gets dumber and less tolerable as it wears on. I gave up about 1/3 of the way through 'Children of Dune' and I doubt I will ever finish it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:00 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
angelicdoctor wrote:
Timothy Zahn's Star Wars Thrawn trilogy. This tells of the events following the fall of the Emperor Palpatine and of the struggles of the New Republic to get back on its feet.

Heh, heh, some definite 'soft' sci fi, but excellent nonetheless...if only the rest of the Expanded Universe was as good as the Thrawn trilogy, I wouldn't have given up on it 15 years ago.....indeed, I liked it so much that I started reading some of Timothy Zahn's other non Star Wars related works, 'Cascade Point' and all that....he's a great writer, and Grand Admiral Thrawn is still the ULTIMATE Star Wars villian.....and I think we tend to forget how many of Zahn's ideas actually became canon and were incorporated into the prequels....before 'Heir To The Empire', the capital world 'Coruscant' was simply called 'Imperial City' (obviously just a stand in until they could come up with a real name)...too bad Zahn couldn't have written the screenplays to the Prequel Trilogy...

Quote:

aThe first book is okay, but the series gets dumber and less tolerable as it wears on. I gave up about 1/3 of the way through 'Children of Dune' and I doubt I will ever finish it.

When I restarted my SF con-going, around 20 years ago, Zahn was the first author I met. Got the trilogy signed.

He was at Dragoncon this year, got about 6 more things signed. I do recommend him as a writer.

GKC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:30 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

As far as Vonnegut is concerned, I don't know that I would put him in the sci-fi category. I did enjoy Cat's Cradle, Player Piano, and Slaughterhouse-Five, but not really much else. Faux autobiographies get old fast. And I can't believe a satire as ham-fisted as "Harrison Bergeron" would ever get any attention.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 10 of 14   [ 279 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next