Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 39 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Writings of the Early Church Fathers on various topics
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:17 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2002 11:13 am
Posts: 32077
Location: Midwest
Religion: Catholic
Calvinist wrote:
St Veronica wrote:
You can find the sources from Catholic or even neutral sources, there is no reason to post a link to a extremely anti-Catholic board like Carm.

You are a guest here, don't be rude.


SV


I'm sorry. I don't mean to be rude. Is the truth offensive? It's quotes from ECFs. Just a list of quotes and writings.


Don't play games. The links for ECF's have already been posted. What is your motive to post them again almost FOUR YEARS later (since the last post here) from a site that is anti-Catholic and one of their agendas is to get Catholics to leave their Faith.

Your version of the 'truth' is offensive.


SV

_________________
“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Writings of the Early Church Fathers on various topics
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:28 pm 
Offline
Citizen
Citizen

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:54 pm
Posts: 534
Religion: Evangelical
St Veronica wrote:
Calvinist wrote:
St Veronica wrote:
You can find the sources from Catholic or even neutral sources, there is no reason to post a link to a extremely anti-Catholic board like Carm.

You are a guest here, don't be rude.


SV


I'm sorry. I don't mean to be rude. Is the truth offensive? It's quotes from ECFs. Just a list of quotes and writings.


Don't play games. The links for ECF's have already been posted. What is your motive to post them again almost FOUR YEARS later (since the last post here) from a site that is anti-Catholic and one of their agendas is to get Catholics to leave their Faith.

Your version of the 'truth' is offensive.


SV



I think you're throwing the baby out with the bathwater. You should try to be more objective.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Writings of the Early Church Fathers on various topics
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:34 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2002 11:13 am
Posts: 32077
Location: Midwest
Religion: Catholic
Calvinist wrote:
St Veronica wrote:
Calvinist wrote:
St Veronica wrote:
You can find the sources from Catholic or even neutral sources, there is no reason to post a link to a extremely anti-Catholic board like Carm.

You are a guest here, don't be rude.


SV


I'm sorry. I don't mean to be rude. Is the truth offensive? It's quotes from ECFs. Just a list of quotes and writings.


Don't play games. The links for ECF's have already been posted. What is your motive to post them again almost FOUR YEARS later (since the last post here) from a site that is anti-Catholic and one of their agendas is to get Catholics to leave their Faith.

Your version of the 'truth' is offensive.


SV



I think you're throwing the baby out with the bathwater. You should try to be more objective.



This ain't my first rodeo. I suggest you read the board rules again and try to be respectful of your environment. You don't go into someone's home and do offensive things.


SV

_________________
“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Writings of the Early Church Fathers on various topics
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:38 pm 
Offline
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:20 pm
Posts: 27059
Location: The countertop
Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
Calvinist wrote:
St Veronica wrote:
Calvinist wrote:
St Veronica wrote:
You can find the sources from Catholic or even neutral sources, there is no reason to post a link to a extremely anti-Catholic board like Carm.

You are a guest here, don't be rude.


SV


I'm sorry. I don't mean to be rude. Is the truth offensive? It's quotes from ECFs. Just a list of quotes and writings.


Don't play games. The links for ECF's have already been posted. What is your motive to post them again almost FOUR YEARS later (since the last post here) from a site that is anti-Catholic and one of their agendas is to get Catholics to leave their Faith.

Your version of the 'truth' is offensive.


SV



I think you're throwing the baby out with the bathwater. You should try to be more objective.

:scratch: What is she not being objective about? What is the allegedly non-objective element in her post?

What is the baby she's throwing out? The quotations from the Fathers? How is she throwing them out, if she's got access to them elsewhere?

Why is it difficult to understand that links to venomously anti-Catholic sites like CARM are unwelcome here? Do you have some Jack Chick tracts you'd like to post here too, while you're at it?

_________________
Image
The Medal of St. Benedict

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Writings of the Early Church Fathers on various topics
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:57 pm 
Offline
Citizen
Citizen

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:54 pm
Posts: 534
Religion: Evangelical
gherkin wrote:
Calvinist wrote:
St Veronica wrote:
Calvinist wrote:
St Veronica wrote:
You can find the sources from Catholic or even neutral sources, there is no reason to post a link to a extremely anti-Catholic board like Carm.

You are a guest here, don't be rude.


SV


I'm sorry. I don't mean to be rude. Is the truth offensive? It's quotes from ECFs. Just a list of quotes and writings.


Don't play games. The links for ECF's have already been posted. What is your motive to post them again almost FOUR YEARS later (since the last post here) from a site that is anti-Catholic and one of their agendas is to get Catholics to leave their Faith.

Your version of the 'truth' is offensive.


SV



I think you're throwing the baby out with the bathwater. You should try to be more objective.

:scratch: What is she not being objective about? What is the allegedly non-objective element in her post?

What is the baby she's throwing out? The quotations from the Fathers? How is she throwing them out, if she's got access to them elsewhere?

Why is it difficult to understand that links to venomously anti-Catholic sites like CARM are unwelcome here? Do you have some Jack Chick tracts you'd like to post here too, while you're at it?



I wouldn't compare Chick to a page linking a bunch of ECF writings compiled without commentary. But if you want to make that comparison, not much I can do about it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Writings of the Early Church Fathers on various topics
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:22 pm 
Offline
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:20 pm
Posts: 27059
Location: The countertop
Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
Calvinist wrote:
:scratch: What is she not being objective about? What is the allegedly non-objective element in her post?

What is the baby she's throwing out? The quotations from the Fathers? How is she throwing them out, if she's got access to them elsewhere?

Why is it difficult to understand that links to venomously anti-Catholic sites like CARM are unwelcome here? Do you have some Jack Chick tracts you'd like to post here too, while you're at it?



I wouldn't compare Chick to a page linking a bunch of ECF writings compiled without commentary. But if you want to make that comparison, not much I can do about it.[/quote]
I'm comparing the viciously anti-Catholic CARM site as a whole to Chick, and that's basically a sound comparison, though perhaps a bit uncharitable to Chick, who at least has an 6th grade level facility for drawing cartoons.

Anyway, that comparison was really not the point of my post. As anyone who read my post would know, its point was to indicate the fact that your response to SV was wholly confused. And there's apparently not much I can do about the fact that you are ignoring the point of my post. :fyi:

_________________
Image
The Medal of St. Benedict

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Writings of the Early Church Fathers on various topics
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:45 pm 
Offline
The Exterminator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:44 pm
Posts: 22431
Location: The Old Forest
Religion: Númenórean Catholic
Calvinist wrote:
St Veronica wrote:
You can find the sources from Catholic or even neutral sources, there is no reason to post a link to a extremely anti-Catholic board like Carm.

You are a guest here, don't be rude.


SV


I'm sorry. I don't mean to be rude. Is the truth offensive? It's quotes from ECFs. Just a list of quotes and writings.

http://newadvent.org/fathers/

There's a better link. I don't think anybody around here is going to be too keen on going to Carm for ANYTHING. If the truth is all you're after and you like ECF writings, well then the link I posted above should keep you busy for a year or two.

_________________
Sent from my Obamaphone


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Writings of the Early Church Fathers on various topics
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:47 pm 
Offline
Citizen
Citizen

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:54 pm
Posts: 534
Religion: Evangelical
gherkin wrote:
Calvinist wrote:
:scratch: What is she not being objective about? What is the allegedly non-objective element in her post?

What is the baby she's throwing out? The quotations from the Fathers? How is she throwing them out, if she's got access to them elsewhere?

Why is it difficult to understand that links to venomously anti-Catholic sites like CARM are unwelcome here? Do you have some Jack Chick tracts you'd like to post here too, while you're at it?



I wouldn't compare Chick to a page linking a bunch of ECF writings compiled without commentary. But if you want to make that comparison, not much I can do about it.

I'm comparing the viciously anti-Catholic CARM site as a whole to Chick, and that's basically a sound comparison, though perhaps a bit uncharitable to Chick, who at least has an 6th grade level facility for drawing cartoons.

Anyway, that comparison was really not the point of my post. As anyone who read my post would know, its point was to indicate the fact that your response to SV was wholly confused. And there's apparently not much I can do about the fact that you are ignoring the point of my post. :fyi:[/quote]


I realize this is most certainly not the thread to do it, and I don't want to hijack this thread, but would it be proper to have a discussion anywhere in this forum regarding the accuracy of CARM's documentation/writings? I'd love to see an explanation of how a catholic would determine the site to be incorrect of its examination of catholicism. If it falls short in any areas, I would appreciate being corrected in my understanding.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Writings of the Early Church Fathers on various topics
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:51 pm 
Offline
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:20 pm
Posts: 27059
Location: The countertop
Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
Calvinist wrote:
I realize this is most certainly not the thread to do it, and I don't want to hijack this thread, but would it be proper to have a discussion anywhere in this forum regarding the accuracy of CARM's documentation/writings? I'd love to see an explanation of how a catholic would determine the site to be incorrect of its examination of catholicism. If it falls short in any areas, I would appreciate being corrected in my understanding.

Start a thread in apologetics, maybe. We've got some CARM veterans here from way back. I myself never had the stomach for their particular brand of vicious anti-Catholicism.

_________________
Image
The Medal of St. Benedict

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Writings of the Early Church Fathers on various topics
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:52 pm 
Offline
The Exterminator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:44 pm
Posts: 22431
Location: The Old Forest
Religion: Númenórean Catholic
I was about to say start a thread in the Apologetics subforum, like gherkin mentioned.

_________________
Sent from my Obamaphone


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Writings of the Early Church Fathers on various topics
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:58 pm 
Online
Head Administrator
Head Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2002 7:24 am
Posts: 71563
Location: Music City
Religion: Catholic
In my experience with the folks at CARM, they often leave out key elements of the writings of the Fathers. The Fathers were Catholic. Their writings belong to the Catholic Church. If you want to quote them, use Catholic sources, not CARM.

_________________
For the DCF Children Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Writings of the Early Church Fathers on various topics
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:52 am 
Offline
Citizen
Citizen

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:54 pm
Posts: 534
Religion: Evangelical
Signum Crucis wrote:
In my experience with the folks at CARM, they often leave out key elements of the writings of the Fathers. The Fathers were Catholic. Their writings belong to the Catholic Church. If you want to quote them, use Catholic sources, not CARM.

In my experience with catholic apologists, I often see them leaving out key elements of the writings of the Fathers. Are you not willing to look at ALL of what they have to say on an issue, or just the ones you agree with?

In any event, I'm sorry...I don't mean to get into an argument on a thread that you obviously have stickied to help others on the forum. Please forgive me for stepping on toes, and feel free to delete my posts. I shouldn't have posted it here.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Writings of the Early Church Fathers on various topics
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:49 pm 
Online
Head Administrator
Head Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2002 7:24 am
Posts: 71563
Location: Music City
Religion: Catholic
Calvinist wrote:
Signum Crucis wrote:
In my experience with the folks at CARM, they often leave out key elements of the writings of the Fathers. The Fathers were Catholic. Their writings belong to the Catholic Church. If you want to quote them, use Catholic sources, not CARM.

In my experience with catholic apologists, I often see them leaving out key elements of the writings of the Fathers. Are you not willing to look at ALL of what they have to say on an issue, or just the ones you agree with?

In any event, I'm sorry...I don't mean to get into an argument on a thread that you obviously have stickied to help others on the forum. Please forgive me for stepping on toes, and feel free to delete my posts. I shouldn't have posted it here.


I doubt very seriously that you see Catholics omitting anything key from their discussions of the ECFs. Again, the ECFs were Catholic. Their writings belong to the Catholic Church.

_________________
For the DCF Children Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Writings of the Early Church Fathers on various topics
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:53 pm 
Offline
King of Cool
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 11:30 am
Posts: 68925
Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Signum Crucis wrote:
I doubt very seriously that you see Catholics omitting anything key from their discussions of the ECFs. Again, the ECFs were Catholic. Their writings belong to the Catholic Church.


I doubt he even knows enough about the ECF's to be able to tell if something was omitted or not...the writings of the ECF's are massive and voluminous, becoming an expert in them is not the work of summer's day...reading the Fathers is not like reading, say, Harry Potter, one cannot simply sit down and read from beginning to end and actually understood what he read...

_________________
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and they deserve to get it good and hard" HL Mencken

Therefore.....let it burn.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Writings of the Early Church Fathers on various topics
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:13 am 
Offline
Citizen
Citizen

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:54 pm
Posts: 534
Religion: Evangelical
Signum Crucis wrote:
I doubt very seriously that you see Catholics omitting anything key from their discussions of the ECFs. Again, the ECFs were Catholic. Their writings belong to the Catholic Church.



Time for you to back up your claims. No...they weren't. You made the claim. Back it up please.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Writings of the Early Church Fathers on various topics
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:23 am 
Offline
The Exterminator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:44 pm
Posts: 22431
Location: The Old Forest
Religion: Númenórean Catholic
Calvinist wrote:
Signum Crucis wrote:
I doubt very seriously that you see Catholics omitting anything key from their discussions of the ECFs. Again, the ECFs were Catholic. Their writings belong to the Catholic Church.



Time for you to back up your claims. No...they weren't. You made the claim. Back it up please.


Many of them were bishops, such as Ignatius of Antioch and Polycarp of Smyrna.

I hereby nominate this thread for a pruning. I think that it should be split into a new thread where this discussion can be continued separate from the prior postings.

_________________
Sent from my Obamaphone


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Writings of the Early Church Fathers on various topics
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:37 pm 
Offline
King of Cool
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 11:30 am
Posts: 68925
Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Calvinist wrote:
Signum Crucis wrote:
I doubt very seriously that you see Catholics omitting anything key from their discussions of the ECFs. Again, the ECFs were Catholic. Their writings belong to the Catholic Church.



Time for you to back up your claims. No...they weren't. You made the claim. Back it up please.



Sigh.....you really think that simply saying 'nuh-huh' constitutes a rational argument?

_________________
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and they deserve to get it good and hard" HL Mencken

Therefore.....let it burn.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Writings of the Early Church Fathers on various topics
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:47 pm 
Online
Head Administrator
Head Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2002 7:24 am
Posts: 71563
Location: Music City
Religion: Catholic
Doom wrote:
Calvinist wrote:
Signum Crucis wrote:
I doubt very seriously that you see Catholics omitting anything key from their discussions of the ECFs. Again, the ECFs were Catholic. Their writings belong to the Catholic Church.



Time for you to back up your claims. No...they weren't. You made the claim. Back it up please.



Sigh.....you really think that simply saying 'nuh-huh' constitutes a rational argument?


Note that he has yet to back up one single claim of his.

_________________
For the DCF Children Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Writings of the Early Church Fathers on various topics
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:55 pm 
Offline
King of Cool
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 11:30 am
Posts: 68925
Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Signum Crucis wrote:
Doom wrote:
Calvinist wrote:
Signum Crucis wrote:
I doubt very seriously that you see Catholics omitting anything key from their discussions of the ECFs. Again, the ECFs were Catholic. Their writings belong to the Catholic Church.



Time for you to back up your claims. No...they weren't. You made the claim. Back it up please.



Sigh.....you really think that simply saying 'nuh-huh' constitutes a rational argument?


Note that he has yet to back up one single claim of his.




He seems to think that simply saying 'I'm right, you're wrong' is a valid argument.

_________________
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and they deserve to get it good and hard" HL Mencken

Therefore.....let it burn.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 39 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


Jump to: