Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Hola
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:30 am 

Religion: Catholic
Good Morning All!
I'm a middle-aged guy from the Dallas area who was cradle Catholic, but went to Protestant churches for 7 or 8 years and then returned about 3 years ago.

My wife and I miss the fellowship of the Protestant churches (sunday school, fellowship time, etc) We've visited all the local parishes and have at least found one where people are friendly and the clergy are loving yet speak the truth in love. I personally love the Eastern Catholic churches btw. My wife who was a cradle Protestant, and had a horrible RCIA experience (yet still converted because of me), understandably misses the fellowship as well.

I'm curious is anyone else feels like this as well...

Post subject: Re: Hola
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:26 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
"daddave",

Welcome to DCF! :)

It could be that in becoming more familiar with the parish activities you and your wife may be interested in some of them......some can be together, and some separate for men and women.

I moved to Florida almost twenty-six years ago, from Long Island, New York, and in both parishes have found there is plenty of fellowship available.

As far as Bible Studies and my own parish is weak on that, and so I attend some excellent ones in another parish about 20 minutes away, and also at the Cathedral here. Every parish has its weak points and its strong points, and so we roamin' Catholics get around and look for the good things.

Sorry to hear about your wife's bad experience with RCIA. We are still in a crisis that is mending with the help of the Lord, and some RCIA programs have very good leaders who listen to their holy priests, and others need lots of work and prayers for priests and laymen.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:29 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
Welcome, Dave. I didn't really come from an active Protestant tradition but I am still regarded as an adult "convert", but I have heard similar stories as you tell. What a work of faith and love that your wife endured such an experience and still converted! :cloud9: There are some dull parishes out there so I can only say that one must remind themselves that dull, bad, or not, they offer the Grace that one needs for eternity with our Father in heaven. A lack of fellowship isn't good, but heaven is worth it. :pray:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:39 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
welcome to another texan...from your friendly neighbor in the big city south of you :wave

i agree with my falcon friend...as an adult convert of almost 14 years, i am just so happy to be in the Church of my Lord, nothing else really matters ... some parishes are better than others afa activities .... just in general, if the parish calls itself a Catholic community, it might be geared a little more toward "togetherness"

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:57 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

:wave Hi, daddave! Welcome to the board.

You could send your wife here for some fellowship, although the board is likely to be a little less active during Lent.

"Do not conform yourself to this age but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and pleasing and perfect." Romans 12:2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:22 pm 
Master
Master

Yup....fairly common for reverts and converts.

Welcome to the forum.