Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 4   [ 74 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who, specifically, is in Hell?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:39 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Catholic
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
If you want to think that Judas is in Heaven, you have to have some other way to explain what Jesus meant in saying, “The Son of man goes as it is written of him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! It would have been better for that man if he had not been born.”

Maybe "that man" is any man that betrays Him?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:04 pm 
Ancient Mariner
Ancient Mariner

Church Affiliations: Honorary Member 3rd degree KC
Dominic wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
If you want to think that Judas is in Heaven, you have to have some other way to explain what Jesus meant in saying, “The Son of man goes as it is written of him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! It would have been better for that man if he had not been born.”

Maybe "that man" is any man that betrays Him?

"That man" was Judas.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:04 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

pax wrote:
beng wrote:
Xavier wrote:
I know the church declares people who are in heaven (e.g., Saints). Is there a list of people, or even one person, who is known to be in Hell?

Judas, Cain, Pilate and Arius we are sure to be in hell base on Tradition. When I said Tradition I meant the liturgy (for example there's an ancient liturgy where Arius is said to be in the abyss of inequity [if I recall correctly] and another said some bad things about Pilate which I could not find) and even Catechism (the Roman Catechism AKA Catechism of Trent asserts that Cain and Judas is in hell).

I would think Cerinthes, Marcion, Valentinus, Luther, Calvin, Zwingli, Henry VIII -- all Heresiarchs and at least the first generation who followed them.

In the un-ratified part of the Council of Basel (which later become the Council of Florence), Wycliffe was declared to be in hell. But then again, other un-ratified part of the Council of Basel approved of Gallicanism heresy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:28 pm 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Religion: One Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree K of C, L of M
beng wrote:
pax wrote:
beng wrote:
Xavier wrote:
I know the church declares people who are in heaven (e.g., Saints). Is there a list of people, or even one person, who is known to be in Hell?

Judas, Cain, Pilate and Arius we are sure to be in hell base on Tradition. When I said Tradition I meant the liturgy (for example there's an ancient liturgy where Arius is said to be in the abyss of inequity [if I recall correctly] and another said some bad things about Pilate which I could not find) and even Catechism (the Roman Catechism AKA Catechism of Trent asserts that Cain and Judas is in hell).

I would think Cerinthes, Marcion, Valentinus, Luther, Calvin, Zwingli, Henry VIII -- all Heresiarchs and at least the first generation who followed them.

In the un-ratified part of the Council of Basel (which later become the Council of Florence), Wycliffe was declared to be in hell. But then again, other un-ratified part of the Council of Basel approved of Gallicanism heresy.

And don't forget Jan Hus (may God have mercy on his soul).

Judas Iscariot is the patron saint of Social Justice. Venerable Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

A logistics problem should be handled with a logistical solution, not a liturgical one.

Holy Mary, Queen of the Martyrs, Pray for us.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:39 am 
Middle Management
Middle Management

The book of Jude does make mention of a certain group being in hell, although no names are given:

The book of Jude, Verse 7 wrote:
[7] As Sodom and Gomorrha, and the neighbouring cities, in like manner, having given themselves to fornication, and going after other flesh, were made an example, suffering the punishment of eternal fire.

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:57 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
We know that there are persons in hell. We know very little about whom. Satan of course is a person in hell. Judas is certainly in hell (not defined of course as doctrine, but come on). As beng pointed out the Church explicitly in the liturgy says Judas is in hell. Good enough for me (though there is a mixed witness in tradition about the other cases, like Pilate)

Core and his followers too.

My Blog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:35 pm 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Solivagus in Mundi wrote:

Agreed. That would be a hard one to deny, as it is right there in the Scriptures :fyi:

Judas Iscariot is the patron saint of Social Justice. Venerable Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

A logistics problem should be handled with a logistical solution, not a liturgical one.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:23 am 
Highness
Highness

pax wrote:

Agreed. That would be a hard one to deny, as it is right there in the Scriptures :fyi:
"Core" is Korah in most modern translations, incase the strange name confuses anyone. See the OT Book of Numbers, chapter 16.

Edward Pothier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:46 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Newer Catholic (as of Easter 2010)
Church Affiliations: RC
Edward Pothier wrote:
pax wrote:

"Core" is Korah in most modern translations, incase the strange name confuses anyone. See the OT Book of Numbers, chapter 16.

Edward Pothier

Ah, that name translation means something to me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:52 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Church Affiliations: Man for Others
Come Be My Light wrote:
I believe they are prescribed to a particular punishment and that is what they suffer. It cannot be lessened.

Rather, they subscribe to a certain punishment and that is what they suffer.

From the beginning, Christianity has understood itself as the religion of the Logos, as the religion according to reason...It has always defined men, all men without distinction, as creatures and images of God, proclaiming for them...the same dignity: to live a faith that comes from the Logos, from creative reason, and that, because of this, is also open to all that is truly rational.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:34 pm 
Master
Master

DesertSailor wrote:
Who's in hell is not the Church's business. The Gospel says don't pull up the weeds too soon because the wheat will be lost too. Read Don Bosco and if that doesn't scare you onto the right path nothing will.

Which work specifically (re: Don Bosco)?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:59 am 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Jerome_2 wrote:
I remember pax posting before about Judas wanting to kill himself so he could repent to Christ in the Limbo of the fathers or something like that.

:scratch:

More like Judas was invincibly ignorant, received the grace of final perseverence in the last moments of his life, and, without knowing it, had an implicit desire for Baptism, and was thus taken up into glory.

Get with the program, bub.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:23 am 
Majesty
Majesty

Xavier wrote:
Is there a list of people, or even one person, who is known to be in Hell?

The Church doesn’t have a list of people in Hell. But here is the description of the Hell, which three children saw at Fatima on July 13, 1917:

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congr ... ma_en.html

Our Lady showed us a great sea of fire which seemed to be under the earth. Plunged in this fire were demons and souls in human form, like transparent burning embers, all blackened or burnished bronze, floating about in the conflagration, now raised into the air by the flames that issued from within themselves together with great clouds of smoke, now falling back on every side like sparks in a huge fire, without weight or equilibrium, and amid shrieks and groans of pain and despair, which horrified us and made us tremble with fear. The demons could be distinguished by their terrifying and repulsive likeness to frightful and unknown animals, all black and transparent. This vision lasted but an instant. How can we ever be grateful enough to our kind heavenly Mother, who had already prepared us by promising, in the first Apparition, to take us to heaven. Otherwise, I think we would have died of fear and terror.

His mother said to his servants, "Do whatever he tells you." (John 2:5)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:16 am 
Ancient Mariner
Ancient Mariner

Peetem wrote:
DesertSailor wrote:
Who's in hell is not the Church's business. The Gospel says don't pull up the weeds too soon because the wheat will be lost too. Read Don Bosco and if that doesn't scare you onto the right path nothing will.

Which work specifically (re: Don Bosco)?

Thanks!

http://www.todayscatholicworld.com/bosco_hell.htm

http://www.tldm.org/News8/realityofhell.htm

http://catholicism.org/bosco-dream.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:56 am 
Ancient Mariner
Ancient Mariner

Martin Luther was excommunicated. Therefore, he is roasting right along side of Judas.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:30 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (SSPX)
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

I fail to see what that specifically has to do with it..

Do you think if Judas had not been born then Christ would not have been betrayed?

... seems we've had discussions that have gone down this similar path before..

But let's turn the question around.... if YOU want to think Judas is in Hell, can you prove that Christ's statement above is a revelation that specifically supports that claim?

...(playing devil's advocate for a minute)..

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:35 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

DesertSailor wrote:
Martin Luther was excommunicated. Therefore, he is roasting right along side of Judas.

Apparently, then, so is Marcel (+)Lefebvre.

...and on this topic... didn't the Church lift the excommunication of someone particularly well-known, post-mortem?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:36 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
tAnGo wrote:
DesertSailor wrote:

...and on this topic... didn't the Church lift the excommunication of someone particularly well-known, post-mortem?

St. Joan of Arc, for instance

My Blog

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:41 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

tAnGo wrote:
DesertSailor wrote:

St. Joan of Arc, for instance

thanks...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:50 pm 
Ancient Mariner
Ancient Mariner

St. Joan was excommunicated by politicians.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 4   [ 74 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next