Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 5 of 5   [ 88 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: How to pick a parish?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:03 pm 
DIY Guru Moderator
DIY Guru Moderator

Religion: Jesus said, "This IS My Body!"
I study Tai Chi, not at church, but I don't think I would be troubled if it was offered there. If it is not for spiritual development, but merely offered as a type of fitness fellowship it would be great. It is the centering prayer thingy that would give me pause.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:45 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
I wouldn't rule out the bigger parish right away. It's possible that the pastor doesn't understand centering prayer and that the group that does it is very small and not representative of the majority of the people. There's a prayer group (I don't know what they do) at my very large parish and I think only about 10 people attend. I would suggest that you check them both out.

"Do not conform yourself to this age but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and pleasing and perfect." Romans 12:2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:26 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Jackie wrote:
I wouldn't rule out the bigger parish right away. It's possible that the pastor doesn't understand centering prayer and that the group that does it is very small and not representative of the majority of the people. There's a prayer group (I don't know what they do) at my very large parish and I think only about 10 people attend. I would suggest that you check them both out.

This is quite true.
Having 'fringe' unorthodoxy, does not mean that the parish is completely unorthodox....... However, there may be one mass time that is more traditional if not perfect and as Saint Francis said when asked what he would do about an unworthy priest: 'I would receive my Lord from his hands'. The beauty of Catholicism lies in that its not dependent on personalities, our Lord is there no matter what......

The image of the Mother of God demonstrates the basic spiritual attitude which corresponds to woman’s natural vocation; her relation to her husband is one of obedience, trust, and participation in his life as she furthers his objective tasks and personality development; to the child she gives true care, encouragement, and formation of his God-given talents; she offers both selfless surrender and a quiet withdrawal when unneeded. -
Edith Stein

Formerly Sunmumy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:58 pm 

Well there are times the Lord is not there....there are such things as invalid Masses and invalid Communion (for lack of a better word).

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:01 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
so few and far between as to be insignificant i would think :fyi:

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:04 pm 

The fact remains it does happen...I stated that in response to the above comment. The Lord is not 'always there no matter what'.

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:10 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
true...and i just expounded on your comment to better quantify :D

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:16 am 
Tazer Queen
Tazer Queen

Personally I'd go #2. Ordained in 2006 usually means orthodox. Smaller doesn't necessarily mean worse - it means there is more you can offer them as an experienced youth minister.

Seriously.

Oh yes - and "Centering Prayer" - as the knights said: "Run away!"

--Ann
PS: As everyone else said "community" - I don't even walk in the door if I see that.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 5 of 5   [ 88 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5