Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 25 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Easter Vigil
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:37 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Catholic
We're about to head to the Easter vigil and I'm torn.

Last year father omitted several readings and the litany of the saints - we were done in about an hour. I'm worried that this isn't licit.

Please pray I'm doing the right thing going to the vigil again at our parish. He never skips anything during a regular mass...

If father is wrong, please pray for him too.

Post subject: Re: Easter Vigil
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:44 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Peetem wrote:
Last year father omitted several readings and the litany of the saints - we were done in about an hour. I'm worried that this isn't licit.

Read the missalette which are probably in the pews, it specifically says that the majority of the readings, prayers etc are 'optional'....there is a minimum which takes about an hour, and then a bunch of optional stuff which extends it almost as long as you want it to be....perhaps the reason why your priest made it short is because he was very busy during Holy Week and needed the rest.....

Therefore.....let it burn.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:35 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Doom wrote:
Peetem wrote:

Read the missalette which are probably in the pews, it specifically says that the majority of the readings, prayers etc are 'optional'....there is a minimum which takes about an hour, and then a bunch of optional stuff which extends it almost as long as you want it to be....perhaps the reason why your priest made it short is because he was very busy during Holy Week and needed the rest.....

I believe that 3 of 7 OT prophecies are required ... the Easter Vigil should take far longer than an hour whether it is celebrated in the new rite or the old.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:48 pm 
King of Cool

Bagheera wrote:
Doom wrote:
Peetem wrote:

I believe that 3 of 7 OT prophecies are required ... the Easter Vigil should take far longer than an hour whether it is celebrated in the new rite or the old.

If you do only the bare minimum that is required it is not much longer than a normal Mass.....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:52 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Traditional Latin Mass Loving Catholic
Just got back from ours! 1 hour 47 minutes.

"I have loved You, oh Jesus. Grant me to love You even more, so that my thoughts turn only to You, all day, and all night, even while sleeping ... I wish my spirit to talk always with You, my soul to converse always with You." -St Gemma Galgani

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:55 pm 
King of Cool

Come Be My Light wrote:

The Easter Vigil is like an old jazz song, you have the bare minimum, but you can 'improvise' (not really because it's already written but you got the idea) to make it almost as long as you want.....I've seen it done in little over an hour, and I've seen it take well over 3 hours....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:57 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Doom wrote:
Come Be My Light wrote:

The Easter Vigil is like an old jazz song, you have the bare minimum, but you can 'improvise' (not really because it's already written but you got the idea) to make it almost as long as you want.....I've seen it done in little over an hour, and I've seen it take well over 3 hours....

Well over 3 hours! Wowzers :). Mass would still be being celebrated if mine were that long.

"I have loved You, oh Jesus. Grant me to love You even more, so that my thoughts turn only to You, all day, and all night, even while sleeping ... I wish my spirit to talk always with You, my soul to converse always with You." -St Gemma Galgani

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:01 pm 
King of Cool

Come Be My Light wrote:
Well over 3 hours! Wowzers :). Mass would still be being celebrated if mine were that long.

3 hours is about how long it takes if you do absolutely everything.....but that is still rather weak.....in the east they start just after sunset and continue until sunrise the next morning....it could last as long as 10-12 hours....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:04 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Doom wrote:
Come Be My Light wrote:

3 hours is about how long it takes if you do absolutely everything.....but that is still rather weak.....in the east they start just after sunset and continue until sunrise the next morning....it could last as long as 10-12 hours....

Wow that's interesting! I'll remind some kids of this when they complain!

But I'm headed to bed, I hope you have a blessed Easter!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:05 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
In the old Roman Rite (before the XIth century or thereabouts), the Easter Vigil started after None (around 3:00 pm) on Holy Saturday and finished around sunrise Easter morning.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:14 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

My first Easter Vigil (at least that I recall) was in Rome, at the English College. It was at least three hours, and probably more... and I don't even recall anyone coming into the Church at that Mass. They did every single reading but I'm not sure what else made it so long. It was very beautiful and made me want to go every year.... though I haven't had any other experience with the Vigil that was as beautiful and well-done.

"The time will come when people will not tolerate sound doctrine, but, following their own desires, will surround themselves with teachers who tickle their ears. They will stop listening to the truth and will wander off to fables" (2 Tm 4:3-4).

http://www.mythirtyone.com/107886

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:15 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic soon
Bagheera wrote:
In the old Roman Rite (before the XIth century or thereabouts), the Easter Vigil started after None (around 3:00 pm) on Holy Saturday and finished around sunrise Easter morning.

Oh, really? As long as I didn't have to stand through the whole thing, I might actually enjoy that. *Grimaces.* I could never be Eastern Rite. Just standing for the Passion during Holy Week tires me dreadfully. Sitting and kneeling, though, those I'm fine with. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:31 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
I got done in about 2:15 without leaving out readings or anything else major (I did forget a few incidental things).

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:47 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: CDoA, SSVdP
Bagheera wrote:
Doom wrote:
Peetem wrote:

And if there are no baptisms the Litany of the Saints is omitted.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:49 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: CDoA, SSVdP
Ours was`3:10

3 OT readings.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:55 pm 
Adept
Adept

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus 4th Degree
We did all the readings, had a number of baptisms and confirmations, and Mass lasted for about three hours.

For you love all things that are, and hate none of the things which you have made: for you did not appoint, or make anything hating it. Wisdom 11:25

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:45 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
The rubrics in the new Missal are pretty insistent about using seven readings unless you have a really, really good reason not to.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:52 am 
Master
Master

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
The rubrics in the new Missal are pretty insistent about using seven readings unless you have a really, really good reason not to.

We had 3 OT, several Psalms, one Epistle and the Gospel.

1.5 hours

Since Father seems reasonably orthodox most of the time, I'll go with he had a "really, really good reason."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:26 am 
Potty Hollerer
Potty Hollerer

Last I checked, it was 2 hrs 45 minutes - so close to 3 hrs.
Quite a few baptisms - a number of them children.
Fifty confirmed and received into the Church.

L.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:20 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: High Church Lutheran
Church Affiliations: Church of Norway
The Orthodox (at least those whom I know) start by reading the entire Book of Acts!

“Being religious means asking passionately the question of the meaning of our existence and being willing to receive answers, even if the answers hurt.” — Paul Tillich

http://katolikken.wordpress.com/
English texts: http://katolikken.wordpress.com/tag/english-texts-2/

http://www.facebook.com/kjetilkringlebotten

http://twitter.com/katolikken

http://thecatholic.wordpress.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 25 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next