Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 4   [ 61 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Faith and reason
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:17 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
sammyjohn wrote:
If reason isn't necessary (at least for some of us, the head and the heart), then where does that leave Saint Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas?

the question wasn't whether reason is good or beneficial. the question was whether it was necessary.

"Be of good heart ... you who are children of Mary. Remember that she accepts as her children all those who choose to be so. Rejoice! Why do you fear to be lost, when such a a Mother defends and protects you?" - St. Alphonsus Liguori

"Blessed Virgin Mary - Immaculate Mother of God. Crushes Satan's head in her spare time." - CCB

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:41 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
It is useful to bear in mind the reason St. Thomas never finished the Summa Theologica.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:31 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Church Affiliations: Man for Others
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
It is useful to bear in mind the reason St. Thomas never finished the Summa Theologica.

But as much as Faith can make something so systematically rational seem like straw, it is still by understanding that rationality that keeps intense experiences in check.

I am just very skeptical of those experiences because all kinds of people see and experience all kinds of things and are so sure of them.
What would you tell Elwood P. Dowd about Harvey? You might tell him its irrational...

From the beginning, Christianity has understood itself as the religion of the Logos, as the religion according to reason...It has always defined men, all men without distinction, as creatures and images of God, proclaiming for them...the same dignity: to live a faith that comes from the Logos, from creative reason, and that, because of this, is also open to all that is truly rational.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:20 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I hate to beat a dead horse, but not as much as I hate being confused about a theological point...
:fyi:

From the beginning, Christianity has understood itself as the religion of the Logos, as the religion according to reason...It has always defined men, all men without distinction, as creatures and images of God, proclaiming for them...the same dignity: to live a faith that comes from the Logos, from creative reason, and that, because of this, is also open to all that is truly rational.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:21 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

:deadhorse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:48 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Mmmmmmmm ... horse.

Can you restate your question, please? Are you asking about epistemology, or faith, or what?

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:31 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 601AAoiPqW

I think the question being asked here is how we can appeal to logic as a check to what we think we might experience in Faith.

In other words, if a Muslim, a Protestant, a Jew, and a Catholic all tell me that I will find unity with God if I just have the Faith (according to the respective religion) should I be able to find truth in Catholicism and be able to discount the other using reason?

Once again, I am not being very eloquent. Somehow the meat of my question is not here. I think we have talked about this before.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:45 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

You will be able to find better reasons to believe that Catholicism is true than any of the others can advance, but reason alone will not lead you to faith.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:34 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
reason alone will not lead you to faith.

That is what I was afraid of: that I will need faith to be led to faith...
It seems that what you are saying is that the sunglasses of Faith allow me to see the universe as it really is, but in order to see that this statement is true I will need to put the sunglasses of Faith on.
8-)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:56 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Reason can take you to the place where having faith is the only reasonable thing to do, but it cannot actually provide faith.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:02 am 
Master
Master

Religion: Christian & Missionary Alliance
Crede ut intelligas / intellige ut credas

Hen-Zee wrote:
How do you know that the rock is NOT alive?

Some papers I've written

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:26 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Reason can take you to the place where having faith is the only reasonable thing to do

how can I arrive at that place without being worried about the truth of the Faith I would embark on?
People have faith in all kinds of things.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:36 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Can you give me a convincing explanation of the Empty Tomb?

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:34 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

Do you posit that the Islamic explanation is simply irrational?

It just seems so easy: There is a historical mistake made by Islam and not by Christianity. I suppose it is necessarily so, since you would not become a Muslim if you knew that Jesus died, rose from the dead, and was assumed into heaven.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:47 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Will Storm wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

Do you posit that the Islamic explanation is simply irrational?

It just seems so easy: There is a historical mistake made by Islam and not by Christianity. I suppose it is necessarily so, since you would not become a Muslim if you knew that Jesus died, rose from the dead, and was assumed into heaven.

I would argue that it was irrational for Muhammed to repeat it be that he's not the first to posit that explaination. Muhammed more than likely got his information about Christ from a heretical sect of Jewish-Christians living on the Saudi peninsula called the Ebionites.

Their assertion is definitely irrational if you knew anything about Roman executions. Peter Kreeft covers the rational and logical implications at length in his "Handbook."

I have a Frying Pan and I'm not afraid to use it!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:08 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I am a fan of Kreeft and Socrates Meets Jesus and (I might go to BC Law). I will look into that book.

Perhaps this is a naive question, but Islamic scholars might point to literature of their own which describes the Ebionites' position on Christ's death.

I am no relativist, but if the details concerning whether Christ died or not are as clearly logical as you are claiming... I just find it hard to believe that Islam could be wholly blind to the things you are describing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:12 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Is it honestly rational to think that the early Christians would have died proclaiming the resurrection if they knew better?

The supernatural historical events of Christianity were widely witnessed. No one except Muhammed was there for the alleged dictation of the Koran.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:22 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Will Storm wrote:
I am a fan of Kreeft and Socrates Meets Jesus and (I might go to BC Law). I will look into that book.

Perhaps this is a naive question, but Islamic scholars might point to literature of their own which describes the Ebionites' position on Christ's death.

The only literature they will point to is the Quran. That's the only literature they have. Rational arguments will not sway them regardless of the logical validity of the argument nor of the irrationality of their assertion.

But remember also in some Islamic circles if you refer to "God the Father" it may cost you your life, if not at least an angry reaction, if that tells you anything.

Will Storm wrote:
I am no relativist, but if the details concerning whether Christ died or not are as clearly logical as you are claiming... I just find it hard to believe that Islam could be wholly blind to the things you are describing.

Their position is this: its in the Quran, so it must be true. Anything that might appear to them to contradict what they've learned they completely ignore or dismiss as a satanic lie.

I have a Frying Pan and I'm not afraid to use it!

Last edited by A Ring Bearer on Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:30 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Is it honestly rational to think that the early Christians would have died proclaiming the resurrection if they knew better?

The supernatural historical events of Christianity were widely witnessed. No one except Muhammed was there for the alleged dictation of the Koran.

I would say that someone dying for an idea is not sufficient to say that idea is right or true.

But, I do concede that the supernatural events of Christianity were widely witnessed. And I generally have Faith in the tenets of Catholicism. I just go through periods of doubt and inability to defend my positions.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:41 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

But they didn't die for an idea in the sense of an abstract proposition.

Need something to read?

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 4   [ 61 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next