Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Sunday obligation - how much effort
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:08 am 
Master
Master

Religion: Catholic
Ok, so I'm sitting here in the hospital with the baby. I cannot make any of the Sunday morning masses here locally in the morning (can't leave the baby alone in the room for any length of time - wouldn't want to anyway), but the wife will relieve me tomorrow late afternoon. Therefore, I can make a 5:30pm Mass and hit the road by 6:30 or so....

That would Normally be so problem, but we live nearly 3 hours away, which means I'm getting home around 9:30 at the earliest. That's not the problem though - the problem is someone will be watching our other 5 children (including the 2 y/o). I feel a great sense that's really asking a lot of our friends....and it's late to get them into bed on a school night.

I'm torn - I never miss mass....

But this entire issue has got me thinking about this type of thing in a general sense.

When do circumstances create a situation where's missing Mass can be morally acceptable? How does one properly judge that situation?

Post subject: Re: Sunday obligation - how much effort
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:20 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
A rule of thumb is that a journey of more than one hour one way excuses you from the obligation.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:34 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
A rule of thumb is that a journey of more than one hour one way excuses you from the obligation.

:sotc That's how I've always heard it, so...you would be okay. Also, because it's ONCE in a very, very, very rare and long time...Could you read your Missal at the hospital and make a spiritual communion? :pray: for you and the family!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:50 am 
Master
Master

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

The Church is only a mile away, so getting there would take 5 minutes. So does one consider the entire length of the trip or just the time it takes to get to Mass?

Please forgive the scrupulous side of me on this one. :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:42 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Add in your journey home and average it, I guess. Seriously, I think you're OK on this one.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:40 pm 
Master
Master

anna1978 wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

:sotc That's how I've always heard it, so...you would be okay. Also, because it's ONCE in a very, very, very rare and long time...Could you read your Missal at the hospital and make a spiritual communion? :pray: for you and the family!

Sadly, I don't have a missal with me. :(

I do have the LOTH though. :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:47 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: CDoA, SSVdP
Peetem wrote:
anna1978 wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

You can read the readings of the day at usccb.org

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:15 pm 
Master
Master

kage_ar wrote:
Peetem wrote:
anna1978 wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

You can read the readings of the day at usccb.org

Great idea!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:23 pm 
Master
Master

One of the nurses just said she could work it out for me to make either the 8:30 or noon Mass at the Cathedral (Litte Rock)!

I had asked her if they had mass in the chapel at the hospital. She said "no" and I replied, "oh well, no biggie". So she comes back 20 minutes later with a list of local churches and mass times that would likely work with her schedule. I said, "its really no big deal, don't mess up your routine or anything.". And she came back that it was no big deal for her either.

Here's the kicker - I had just said a quick prayer earlier and asked the Lord that if He could work it out so I could go to mass!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:10 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Traditional Latin Mass Loving Catholic
I'm cautious with this post because I'm sure Mother Angelica worded it exactly right and a minor detail off here and there on my part may change her statement, but along with being an obligation to attend mass, we also have an obligation to be there in emergency's for our family, and I think you made the right call by taking care of your family at that time when they needed you to.

"I have loved You, oh Jesus. Grant me to love You even more, so that my thoughts turn only to You, all day, and all night, even while sleeping ... I wish my spirit to talk always with You, my soul to converse always with You." -St Gemma Galgani

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:04 am 
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Peetem wrote:
Here's the kicker - I had just said a quick prayer earlier and asked the Lord that if He could work it out so I could go to mass!

I've noticed recently that He's rather compliant with that kind of request.

It is to idols that men turned (and turn) for quick and literal answers. (J.R.R. Tolkien)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:14 am 
Master
Master

Turgonian wrote:
Peetem wrote:

I've noticed recently that He's rather compliant with that kind of request.

Ya know, I'm starting to notice that as well. :D