Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 4 of 8   [ 154 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: some they got right...some were not even close
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:49 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Bagheera wrote:
Doom wrote:
Actually, their absolute best song is 'I Am A Rock', but that wasn't a hit single

"Rock" is incredibly boring musically.

Not everything has to be complex and intricate...'I Am A Rock' is a deeply felt and very sad song about someone who is in a state of emotional crisis and despair...and it is an emotional state that I have absolutely no difficulty relating to....

"don't speak of love, because I've heard the words before, it's resting in my memory, I won't disturb the slumber of feelings that have died, if I had never loved, I never would have cried...I have no need of friendship, friendship causes pain, it's laughter and it's loving I disdain"

Now, THAT is a song I can relate to, all these happy songs 'oh I'm in love and it's so wonderful blah blah blah' I will never be able to relate to, that kind of song, it is not real to me, but a song about disappointment, about heartbreak, despair, about rejection, bitterness and pain? That is real, that I can relate to.

Therefore.....let it burn.

Last edited by Doom on Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:51 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
then you really love richard cory, don't you 8-) :wave

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:54 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Bob Seger Turn the Page? Really? I'd think "Main Street" would be the song not Turn the Page!

Crosby Stills & Nash -- add Young on there and "Love the One You're With" instead of Suite Judy Blue Eyes.

There are a couple more I don't agree with but for the most part, I do.

Lisa

edit: sadly I had to edit to fix the typo IN MY OWN NAME!!! :DOH!

Last edited by Lisa1515 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:58 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

love the one you're with has always held a special place in my heart...definitely would prefer it over suite:judy blue eyes :fyi:

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:59 pm 
Master
Master

Bagheera wrote:
Peetem wrote:
The Moody Blues, while an awesome band, are a little like Rush; their music has a unique and loyal following, as well as strong sales, but their songs wouldn't be considered "main stream" until late in their career (when the songs were actually terrible compared to their early stuff - think "Wildest Dreams" or "The Voice" - commercial drivel).

*cough* Nights in White Satin *cough*

Anyway, if Rush can make the list (I suppose "Tom Sawyer" is the most accessible of their songs, but I can think of probably a half-dozen of their songs that are better, starting with "2112," "Vital Signs," and "Limelight"), then so can The Moody Blues.

Quote:
I'm actually surprise Pink Floyd made the cut. They are somewhat similar to the afore mentioned groups. "The Wall" has many popular cuts, but its their early stuff that's the best. "Dark Side of the Moon" was and still is awesome. "Money" or "Time" are much better than "Comfortably Numb".

I actually prefer Wish You Were Here to Moon -- and I know I'm not the only one.

I agree with all points.

I love the Moody Blues and in my response was thinking about the top ten and the probability they would make that part of the list. "Knights in White Satin" would be about #25 to 35 in my list. If they haven't made the cut yet, they probably won't.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:00 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Nights ... just beating doom to the post 8-) :fyi:

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:01 pm 
King of Cool

faithfulservant wrote:
then you really love richard cory, don't you 8-) :wave

I have no idea who that is, but I will say that while there are some 'happy' love songs that I do like, I can't relate to them, the love songs that I feel I can relate to, are all sad, depressing songs. In romance, I've only ever experienced disappointment and failure and I do not know what the opposite is like.

That's why I like Roy Orbison....the Caruso of rock....that man could sing a sad ballad of a failed love affair.....does the list have any Roy Orbison on it? They would have to go with either 'Crying' or 'Only the Lonely'.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:02 pm 
Master
Master

Doom wrote:
Bagheera wrote:
and I know I'm not the only one.

You're right, there may be one or two other people who share that opinion....

Both 'Wish You Were Here', and 'Animals' are generally regarded as duds by Pink Floyd fans and are generally ranked just above 'A Momentary Lapse of Reason' and 'The Division Bell' as the worst Pink Floyd albums.

Dude, you are soooo wrong about that one.

Most true Pink Floyd fans feel those are their best albums ("Wish" and "Animals"). The worst would be Division Bell followed by "The Final Cut".

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:03 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

it's on the same album as i am a rock and the sound of silence ... ah well, ya just had to have lived through it :wink: :wave

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:04 pm 
Master
Master

gherkin wrote:
Seriously, I'd have to go with Meddle as a real contender for Pink Floyd's best record, with Ummagumma also up there pretty high, but I'm a big fan of Atom Heart Mother and Saucerful of Secrets, too. I enjoy Dark Side of the Moon as much as the next guy, but I always considered it too easy. I wasn't a huge fan of Animals or Wish you Were Here. The Wall, I loved a lot. After that one, I didn't see much point, though I admit to listening to Momentary Lapse of Reason quite a bit when it came out.

Careful with that axe Eugene.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:08 pm 
Master
Master

faithfulservant wrote:
Nights ... just beating doom to the post 8-) :fyi:

I was in a hurry. :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:09 pm 
King of Cool

Peetem wrote:

Most true Pink Floyd fans feel those are their best albums ("Wish" and "Animals"). .

No, I'm not wrong, most fans regard 'Dark Side of the Moon' as the best Floyd album, followed by The Wall....that is why both of those both of those albums appear on every 'best rock albums ever made' list....and that is why 'Dark Side of the Moon' is in the top 10 of the highest selling albums ever, selling more than 15 million copies, and moreover, 'Dark Side of the Moon' holds the all time record for most consecutive weeks in the Billboard Top 200 albums....still being in the top 100 as late as 1987 and not disappearing until almost 1990...'Wish You Were Here' and 'Animals', on the other hand, were in the top 200 for about 20 weeks before being forgotten.

And absolutely no one is trying to sync Wish You Were Here with 'The Wizard of Oz'

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:15 pm 
Master
Master

Doom wrote:
Peetem wrote:

Most true Pink Floyd fans feel those are their best albums ("Wish" and "Animals"). .

No, I'm not wrong, most fans regard 'Dark Side of the Moon' as the best Floyd album, followed by The Wall....that is why both of those both of those albums appear on every 'best rock albums ever made' list....and that is why 'Dark Side of the Moon' is in the top 10 of the highest selling albums ever, selling more than 15 million copies, and moreover, 'Dark Side of the Moon' holds the all time record for most consecutive weeks in the Billboard Top 200 albums....still being in the top 100 as late as 1987 and not disappearing until almost 1990...'Wish You Were Here' and 'Animals', on the other hand, were in the top 200 for about 20 weeks before being forgotten.

And absolutely no one is trying to sync Wish You Were Here with 'The Wizard of Oz'

Fair enough regarding DSOTM....I had forgotten that one. But The Wall is crap to most true Floyd fans....real crap. Let's of hits of pure crap. One good song on the entire album - "Mother". That one sounds like their older stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:46 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

faithfulservant wrote:
it's on the same album as i am a rock and the sound of silence ... ah well, ya just had to have lived through it :wink: :wave

another very dark song on that album was 'a most peculiar man'... had forgotten about it until i was listening to richard cory and it showed up on the side as a suggestion

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:10 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

gherkin wrote:
Ah, and the Stones, which Doom mentioned earlier. I caught onto this thread a bit slowly. Paint it, Black, should be in the top 7, too. So I finish the list thusly:

7. Jethro Tull, Aqualung
6. Jimi Hendrix, All Along the Watchtower
5. Aerosmith, Dream On
4. AC/DC, You Shook Me All Night Long
3. Grateful Dead, Sugar Magnolia
2. Led Zeppelin, Stairway to Heaven
1. The Beatles, Hey Jude

These aren't necessarily my actual choices, just my predictions.

Edit. Oops. Lost track of myself there. I forgot that I needed the Stones. So I'll remove the Jethro Tull, although that's a surprise to me. How could Aqualung not be on a list like this? It's pretty popular, isn't it? New prediction:

7. Rolling Stones, Paint it, Black
6. Jimi Hendrix, All Along the Watchtower
5. Aerosmith, Dream On
3. Grateful Dead, Sugar Magnolia
1. The Beatles, Hey Jude

look at you...nailed the number 6 pick... but you need to rearrange you stones placement since queen was #7... simple enough...get rid of your grateful dead pick and put the stones at #__ ... they have to be higher than aerosmith...don't they? :shock:

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:46 am 
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
Quote:
look at you...nailed the number 6 pick... but you need to rearrange you stones placement since queen was #7... simple enough...get rid of your grateful dead pick and put the stones at #__ ... they have to be higher than aerosmith...don't they? :shock:

Yep, I'll adjust as you suggest:
5. Aerosmith, Dream On
3. Rolling Stones, Paint it, Black (secondary suggestion: You Can't Always Get What You Want)
1. The Beatles, Hey Jude

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:22 pm 

Quote:
5. The Beatles, ‘A Day in the Life‘

I think that's a more interesting song than Hey Jude, so I'm not sad to see it make the list. But at #5? The Beatles are at #5? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. :fyi:

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:33 pm 
King of Cool

gherkin wrote:
Quote:
5. The Beatles, ‘A Day in the Life‘

I think that's a more interesting song than Hey Jude, so I'm not sad to see it make the list. But at #5? The Beatles are at #5? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. :fyi:

Interesting also that a song which was never even released as a single would be used instead of the most successful single of the Beatles' career....I mean, what the hell kind of standards are they applying here? Just randomly choosing whatever song they feel like? In which case, why not 'Tomorrow Never Knows' or 'Rain', two of their most influential songs?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:41 pm 

Eh, I've got no views on that question. They didn't say, to my recollection, that they're picking biggest hits or most influential or even most played on "classic rock" radio stations. Just greatest classic rock songs. A Day in the Life makes that cut. But not at #5. I mean, having a list like this without the Beatles at #1 is like having a list of important popes without St. Peter at #1. (I hope that doesn't come across as sacrilegious.)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:54 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

a day in the life came in at #4 on this list...

http://music-superhits.blogspot.com/200 ... r-all.html

followed by layla, satisfaction then stairway to heaven... obviously layla will not be making the top 4 since it came in at 27 already ...aerosmith's dream on came in at #29 on that list and ac/dc didn't even make the top 100 :shock:

De Maria numquam satis

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 4 of 8   [ 154 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next