Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 5 of 8   [ 154 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: some they got right...some were not even close
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:56 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
and why would the stones ever come in ahead of the beatles in any classic rock song poll :scratch:

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:58 pm 
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
faithfulservant wrote:
and why would ANYONE ever come in ahead of the beatles in any classic rock song poll :scratch:

Preach it, brother!

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:00 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
gherkin wrote:
Quote:
5. The Beatles, ‘A Day in the Life‘

I think that's a more interesting song than Hey Jude, so I'm not sad to see it make the list. But at #5? The Beatles are at #5? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. :fyi:

Yeah, there have to be a lot more than four groups better than they.... :poke

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:01 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
gherkin wrote:
Eh, I've got no views on that question. They didn't say, to my recollection, that they're picking biggest hits or most influential or even most played on "classic rock" radio stations. Just greatest classic rock songs. A Day in the Life makes that cut. But not at #5. I mean, having a list like this without the Beatles at #1 is like having a list of important popes without St. Peter at #1. (I hope that doesn't come across as sacrilegious.)

I don't really care which Beatles song they pick, they have so many great ones that you could pick almost at random....so long as you didn't pick something dumb like 'Why don't we write a filler song', I mean 'Why Don't We Do It in the Road?', 'Honey Pie' or 'Revolution 9' now that I think about it, The White Album sure does seem to have a lot of stupid pointless filler songs on it doesn't it?) but the basis principle that the number one song HAS TO BE a Beatles song is pretty solid I think....there are at least a dozen that I would consider a worthy candidate for 'best' Beatles song, but whatever song they pick #1 has to be a Beatles song...

Therefore.....let it burn.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:04 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

well that happens all the time... both of the polls i listed at the beginning of the thread had other than beatles songs as #1... i'm sure there are many more...i just didn't bother looking for others

De Maria numquam satis

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
gherkin wrote:
Quote:
5. The Beatles, ‘A Day in the Life‘

I think that's a more interesting song than Hey Jude, so I'm not sad to see it make the list. But at #5? The Beatles are at #5? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. :fyi:

Yeah, there have to be a lot more than four groups better than they.... :poke

:soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap:

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

faithfulservant wrote:
well that happens all the time... both of the polls i listed at the beginning of the thread had other than beatles songs as #1... i'm sure there are many more...i just didn't bother looking for others

My faith in mankind is being shaken today. :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:05 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

gherkin wrote:
:soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap:

:soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap:

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:06 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

that's what happens when public opinion comes into play.... look at the non-winners of AI at times :roll: :nooo: :mrgreen:

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:06 pm 

Doom wrote:
there are at least a dozen that I would consider a worthy candidate for 'best' Beatles song, but whatever song they pick #1 has to be a Beatles song...

I think that in the future, whenever anyone, anywhere in the world, decides to make such lists, this sentence should be branded onto them somewhere prominent, in order to help avoid such shameful mistakes as putting the Beatles at #5. :fyi:

Of course, the prospect of the branding might decrease the frequency with which such lists are produced. But I'm not sure that's an altogether bad thing. These lists usually just tick me off. :fyi: For instance, this one. :fyi:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:07 pm 
King of Cool

faithfulservant wrote:

Which just goes to prove what I have always said.....90% of the human race are too stupid to live...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:09 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

so are we pretty much in agreement the top 4 have to be, in no particular order, ac/dc, led zeppelin, stones and aerosmith?

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:11 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

gherkin wrote:
Doom wrote:
there are at least a dozen that I would consider a worthy candidate for 'best' Beatles song, but whatever song they pick #1 has to be a Beatles song...

I think that in the future, whenever anyone, anywhere in the world, decides to make such lists, this sentence should be branded onto them somewhere prominent, in order to help avoid such shameful mistakes as putting the Beatles at #5. :fyi:

Of course, the prospect of the branding might decrease the frequency with which such lists are produced. But I'm not sure that's an altogether bad thing. These lists usually just tick me off. :fyi: For instance, this one. :fyi:

think of the other link i provided...the highest ranking beatles song was let it be at #10 :shock:

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:13 pm 
King of Cool

faithfulservant wrote:
so are we pretty much in agreement the top 4 have to be, in no particular order, ac/dc, led zeppelin, stones and aerosmith?

I like AC/DC but I would pretty much NEVER put them on a 'best of' anything list....unless the list was 'best bands that re-made the same song 50000 times in the course of their career'

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:15 pm 
King of Cool

gherkin wrote:
Doom wrote:

I don't really mind 'best of lists' but what I do hate is the ranking, which is arbitrary....in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (which, by the way, is more or less a complete joke) they have a list of 'the 500 songs that influenced rock and roll', there is absolutely no ranking, it's just a list of 500 songs that are regarded as very important and influential....if you're gonna make a list, that's the way to do it...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:25 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

People I disagree with:

1) gherkin
2) Doom

Hmmmmmmmm ... maybe Doom has a point here ....

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:32 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Doom wrote:
.in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (which, by the way, is more or less a complete joke)

i agree with doom :shock:

no srv ... what a joke!!! :fyi: :nooo:

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:49 pm 
King of Cool

faithfulservant wrote:
Doom wrote:
.in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (which, by the way, is more or less a complete joke)

i agree with doom :shock:

no srv ... what a joke!!! :fyi: :nooo:

No Stevie Ray Vaughn, no Rush, but they let in Guns n Roses, who had two albums before falling apart, and they have bizarre choices like the Four Tops, Miles Davis and The Shirelles, who may have been good groups, but were NOT rock musicians....if you're going to let in Miles Davis, then why not Leonard Bernstein or John Cage? The admission standards appear to be completely random.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:00 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

agree... waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many in the hall not remotely associated with rock and roll

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:25 pm 

Doom wrote:
faithfulservant wrote:

I like AC/DC but I would pretty much NEVER put them on a 'best of' anything list....unless the list was 'best bands that re-made the same song 50000 times in the course of their career'

Well, I like AC/DC a whole lotta less now than I did when I was about 16, but still, if you're doing a list of great classic rock songs, AC/DC's got to appear. I preferred the Bon Scott years (though like everyone else, Back in Black was still my favorite album), but it's pretty obvious they'll go for You Shook Me...

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 5 of 8   [ 154 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next