Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: 'Victim soul?'
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:59 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
How do you tell if you are one? What is the Catholic view of this? And how do you battle the despair it brings?

About socks and fountain pens.

Tales of love, sacrifice, and sushi.

TIBER SWIM TEAM - CLASS OF 07

Post subject: Re: 'Victim soul?'
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:55 pm 
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

What's a victim soul?

It is to idols that men turned (and turn) for quick and literal answers. (J.R.R. Tolkien)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:16 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Fr. Jordan Aumann O.P.:

Quote:
Offering Oneself as Victim. It would seem that it is impossible to go further in love of the Cross than to prefer sorrow to pleasure. Nevertheless, there is still another more perfect degree in the love of suffering: the act of offering oneself as a victim of expiation for the sins of the world. At the very outset, we must insist that this sublime act is completely above the ordinary way of grace. It would be a terrible presumption for a beginner or an imperfectly purified soul to place itself in this state. "To be called a victim is easy and it pleases self-love, but truly to be a victim demands a purity, a detachment from creatures, and a heroic abandonment to all kinds of suffering, to humiliation, to ineffable obscurity, that I would consider it either foolish or miraculous if one who is at the beginning of the spiritual life should attempt to do that which the divine Master did not do except by degrees." (14)

The theological basis of offering oneself as a victim of expiation for the salvation of souls or for any other supernatural motive such as reparation for the glory of God, liberating the souls in purgatory, attracting the divine mercy to the Church, the priesthood, one's country, or a particular soul, is the supernatural solidarity established by God among the members of the Mystical Body of Christ, whether actual or potential. Presupposing the solidarity in Christ that is common to all Christians, God selects certain holy souls, and particularly those who have offered themselves knowingly for this work, so that by their merits and sacrifices they may contribute to the application of the merits of the redemption by Christ. A typical example of this can be found in St. Catherine of Siena, whose most ardent desire was to give her life for the Church. "The only cause of my death," said the saint, "is my zeal for the Church of God, which devours and consumes me. Accept, O Lord, the sacrifices of my life for the Mystical Body of thy holy Church." She was also a victim soul for particular individuals. Other examples of victim souls are St. Thérèse of Lisieux, St. Gemma Galgani, and Sister Elizabeth of the Trinity.

In practice, the offering of oneself as a victim for souls should never be permitted except to souls of whom the Holy Spirit asks it with a persistent and irresistible motion of grace. It should be noted that, rather than contributing to the sanctification of the individual (although it does add something), this particular act is ordained to the spiritual benefit of others. The soul that would give itself in this way for the salvation of others must itself be intimately united with God and must have traveled a long way toward its own perfection in charity. It must be a soul well schooled in suffering and even have a thirst for suffering. Under these conditions the spiritual director could prudently permit a soul to make this oblation of self as a victim soul. Then, if God accepts the offering, the soul can become a faithful reproduction of the divine Martyr of Calvary. (Source)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:18 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

We are all called to offer up our sufferings in union with God. If you are struggling with your suffering or are despairing, please speak to a priest.

Turgonian wrote:
What's a victim soul?
I feel weird quoting this twice in one day (in the ladies' forum earlier), but I think Colossians 1:24 is the best and briefest description, at least as I understand the term: "Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I am filling up what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ on behalf of his body, which is the church."

"Take it as a certain sign that your charity is not genuine if your words, no matter how true, are not charitable." --St Francis de Sales

"The thing is--to be ready to die: and is there one of us who would quite like to die, doing as little for God as we are doing now?" --Fr Faber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:21 pm 
Middle Management
Middle Management

If you are being tempted with despair during suffering, I would recommend the book by St. Alphonsus listed in my sig line. It's really one of the best works ever on how to be conformed to Our Lord's Will in all suffering.

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:23 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Bonaventure wrote:
If you are being tempted with despair during suffering, I would recommend the book by St. Alphonsus listed in my sig line. It's really one of the best works ever on how to be conformed to Our Lord's Will in all suffering.

Yeah, it's an excellent read. I should look at it again at some point.

"Take it as a certain sign that your charity is not genuine if your words, no matter how true, are not charitable." --St Francis de Sales

"The thing is--to be ready to die: and is there one of us who would quite like to die, doing as little for God as we are doing now?" --Fr Faber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:14 pm 
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

I think the article posted by DominiCanis is excellent.

"The more we honor the Blessed Virgin, the more we honor Jesus Christ, because we honor Mary only that we may the more perfectly honor Jesus, since we go to her only as the way by which we are to find the end we are seeking, which is Jesus."

-St. Louis De Montfort

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:47 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Very enlightening. Thanks to all.

About socks and fountain pens.

Tales of love, sacrifice, and sushi.

TIBER SWIM TEAM - CLASS OF 07

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:35 am 
Defender
Defender

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: Catholic Monarchy
Domini Canis,

Do you have a link to this article for us? I'd like to send it around to some friends.

CDL

"To say that God turns away from the sinful is like saying that the sun hides from the blind." St. Anthony the Great (of the desert)

"There are those who hate Christianity and call their hatred an all-embracing love for all religions." — G.K. Chesterton

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:08 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

http://www.domcentral.org/study/aumann/st/st07.htm