Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Advent penance service
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:46 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic-The "First Christians"
I've been away from the board for awhile, but have dropped in from time to time to eavesdrop. Life has been crazy. I hope it will calm down a bit! My parish is having an Advent penance service and I was wondering exactly what this is? There will be priests from several different parishes, so I'm assuming it will be a reconcilliation service?

Post subject: Re: Advent penance service
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:59 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
Am I remembering correctly that you attend St. Alberts?
Yes, it is a reconciliation service. St. Alberts usually does a pretty good job. Some parishes in your area will have a service but there will not be individual confession. St. Alberts does not do it that way, or at least they didn't the last time I attended. They will have a time of quiet examination of conscience. Usually someone slowly reads through a list of things to consider. Music is usually being played quietly. The different priests will be introduced and it will told where each one will be hearing confession. The Act of Contrition is usually said together as a congregation before personal confession begins. People will line up in different areas for reconciliation.
St. Alberts will also have this during Lent.

We must neither doubt nor hesitate with respect to the words of the Lord; rather, we must be fully persuaded that every word of God is true and possible, even if our nature should rebel against the idea-for in this lies the test of faith.
St. Basil the Great

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:33 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Hello SarahGrace, I'm so glad to hear from you! Yes, I still attend St. Albert and try to go to every sevice that they offer. Will we be face-to-face with the priest, can we be in the confessional, and will it be somewhat private? I know if I want all that I can just go to reconciliation at the regular scheduled time. Thanks for any info you can give me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:45 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

:wave

There will be a priest in the confessional. That would be the only place where it could not be face to face.
Priests will be in different corners/areas and those will be face to face while sitting on chairs.
It will all be private no matter where you go. The lines are far enough back that people waiting cannot hear you as you speak.
They do this for 1st Reconciliation for the kiddos too.

We must neither doubt nor hesitate with respect to the words of the Lord; rather, we must be fully persuaded that every word of God is true and possible, even if our nature should rebel against the idea-for in this lies the test of faith.
St. Basil the Great

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:52 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Whew! I'm glad there will be privacy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:57 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I know that feeling! :P

St. Basil the Great