Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Can we eat meat today?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:12 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
since it's the solemnity of the annunciation, can we eat meat today? can we also do the thing we gave up for Lent since it's a solemnity (like we can on Sundays)?
Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Can we eat meat today?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:03 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
TheProdigalSon wrote:
since it's the solemnity of the annunciation, can we eat meat today? can we also do the thing we gave up for Lent since it's a solemnity (like we can on Sundays)?
Thanks!

1. Yes, since the law of abstinence and fasting does not oblige us on Solemnities

2. "The thing we gave up" is a matter of personal practice, so it is up to the individual, perhaps with the advisement of his spiritual director. It used to be that we were required to fast Monday-Saturday during Lent, and abstain from meat on every day including Sunday. While that has long been removed from the law of the Church (meat on Sundays has been allowed for a long time, and the literal 40 days of fasting [6 weeks with 6 days, plus Ash Wednesday and the 3 days after it=40] has been no longer required since 1966), I think it offers a good practical guide. Sundays, and now Solemnities, less the penitential nature but our feasting, as it were, should still be tempered in light of the season. In Milan they wear black on weekdays of Lent and violet on Sundays to mark this. So, personally, I think some aspect should be kept up

Of course it depends on the nature of your penance as well. I have been observing the traditional fast and abstinence (as recommended, but not required, by the bishops), so I will still give up meat on the Annunciation and Sundays, but I won't fast. If one gave up drinking alcohol, for instance, it may be good at least to keep it to one drink or something of that sort. But as I said, there is no law that regulates this.

My Blog

Post subject: Re: Can we eat meat today?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:19 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: K of C, Confr. of St. Peter
Regarding Question 1, for those interested in the relevant canon:

Canon 1251 Abstinence from eating meat or another food according to the prescriptions of the conference of bishops is to be observed on Fridays throughout the year unless they are solemnities; abstinence and fast are to be observed on Ash Wednesday and on the Friday of the Passion and Death of Our Lord Jesus Christ.