Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 24 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Receiving the Body of Christ...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:04 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Catholic, praise God
Are you allowed to *chew,* or are you supposed to let it dissolve in your mouth?

Post subject: Re: Receiving the Body of Christ...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:10 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
You may chew. Some hosts are made in such a way that it is nearly impossible not to. :) Others are small and light and you can swallow them easily without chewing.

You should try hard not let the Host dissolve completely in your mouth, since once the accidents of bread are gone so is the Divine presence. That might be incorrect terminology.... but in my understanding you want to make sure you actually swallow the Host while the accidents of bread remain, or else you wouldn't have actually received Communion.

"Take it as a certain sign that your charity is not genuine if your words, no matter how true, are not charitable." --St Francis de Sales

"The thing is--to be ready to die: and is there one of us who would quite like to die, doing as little for God as we are doing now?" --Fr Faber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:22 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Dominicatella wrote:
You may chew. Some hosts are made in such a way that it is nearly impossible not to. :) Others are small and light and you can swallow them easily without chewing.

You should try hard not let the Host dissolve completely in your mouth, since once the accidents of bread are gone so is the Divine presence. That might be incorrect terminology.... but in my understanding you want to make sure you actually swallow the Host while the accidents of bread remain, or else you wouldn't have actually received Communion.

if the Host dissolves in your mouth, I'm pretty sure you still receive Communion...even though it dissolves in your mouth it still has to go through your body somehow (it doesn't disappear into thin air).

I always thought it was ok to somewhat chew the Host. Jesus Himself tells us that unless we "gnaw" His flesh...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:26 pm 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Religion: One Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree K of C, L of M
When I received my First Holy Communion (back when the earth was cooling) we were taught that it was a sacrilege to chew the Host.

Judas Iscariot is the patron saint of Social Justice. Venerable Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

A logistics problem should be handled with a logistical solution, not a liturgical one.

Holy Mary, Queen of the Martyrs, Pray for us.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:03 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
the only time i have ever chewed (specific instructions had been given by my cc dw to not chew) was when i was consuming multiple Hosts that were left over from a pastoral care visit to a rehab facility ...

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:24 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: K of C, Confr. of St. Peter
There is nothing inherently wrong with chewing, but out of reverence, it is safer to swallow it whole (after it has softened); otherwise particles may get stuck in the teeth.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:50 pm 
Highness
Highness

pax wrote:
When I received my First Holy Communion (back when the earth was cooling) we were taught that it was a sacrilege to chew the Host.
Gee, something else you were taught that was wrong (or exaggerated).

It is certainly allowed to use your teeth in eating the Host. Large open-mouth chews are clearly wrong, but even then probably not sacrilegious.

{I bet that some of the old nuns who may have told you that about no-teeth-use were childhood friends of the Lord?}

Edward Pothier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:28 pm 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Edward Pothier wrote:
pax wrote:
Gee, something else you were taught that was wrong (or exaggerated).

Sure.

Judas Iscariot is the patron saint of Social Justice. Venerable Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

A logistics problem should be handled with a logistical solution, not a liturgical one.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:51 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

I was not taught that chewing the host was the sin of sacrilege -- but I also was taught that it was something one didn't do, or at least tried not to do. I can honestly say that in 45+ years of receiving communion, I have never yet chewed a host.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:34 pm 
Master
Master

Custos wrote:
I was not taught that chewing the host was the sin of sacrilege -- but I also was taught that it was something one didn't do, or at least tried not to do. I can honestly say that in 45+ years of receiving communion, I have never yet chewed a host.

Great.

So is it a sin or not? That's a big deal.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:35 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
No, it isn't. The biggest supplier of hosts in the US (I believe) specifically reformulated their hosts to make them more like "real bread," meaning they're impossible to dissolve even if you want to.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:42 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Peetem wrote:

Put this into context......prior to the modern era, chewing was literally the only possible way to take the Eucharist....

The current dissolvable 'wafers' date from when? Maybe late 19th century at the earliest? Was every Christian prior to that, including the apostles themselves at the Last Supper, guilty of sin?

Therefore.....let it burn.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:45 pm 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Chew the Host. It gets stuck between your teeth. Then you mix it with profane food. Voila! Sacrilege.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:46 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

pax wrote:
Chew the Host. It gets stuck between your teeth. Then you mix it with profane food. Voila! Sacrilege.
Wrong, and please don't infect people with scruples.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:54 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

It would only happen like that at all if you walked out after receiving Communion and started chowing down. If you stay until the end of Mass and make a thanksgiving and drive home before eating, you will easily have waited 30-45+ minutes after receiving before eating anything, by which time particles surely would have dissolved.

I was told that it was the custom at one time for the faithful to take a small drink of (unconsecrated) wine after receiving Communion in large part in order to guard against the possibility of particles becoming stuck in the mouth. (My impression is that that was a pious but non-essential practice.)

"Take it as a certain sign that your charity is not genuine if your words, no matter how true, are not charitable." --St Francis de Sales

"The thing is--to be ready to die: and is there one of us who would quite like to die, doing as little for God as we are doing now?" --Fr Faber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:17 pm 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
pax wrote:
Wrong, and please don't infect people with scruples.

That's what I was taught. Obviously it was wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:39 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Peetem wrote:
Custos wrote:

Great.

Let us try this again, but with bigger letters so you will see what I actually wrote:
I was not taught that chewing the host was the sin of sacrilege

It also isn't a sin to fart in church, but one doesn't do that, either -- or at least one tries not to. There is a huge difference between sin and preferred practice. If there weren't, singing Marty Haugen ditties as opening hymns would disqualify the entire congregation from receiving at communion time.

By the way, the pious custom of not chewing the host meant not crunching it with the teeth. If one could break it with pressure of the tongue against the palate, that was fine. I will also note that in my neck of the woods, one was taught to drink water (rather than wine) after communion, for the reasons stated above.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:53 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

pax wrote:
That's what I was taught. Obviously it was wrong.

Respect for the Blessed Sacrament is important. But for regular food to become mixed with the Blessed Sacrament upon consumption is not sacrilege, which involves mixing the blessed not merely with the secular but with the profane.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:07 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Though it's not sacrilege, it is good to avoid such a thing, right?

(I am not saying that this means one can't or shouldn't chew the Host. As we both have pointed out with some of the more substantial hosts this would be very difficult. But I do think it's good to wait a reasonable period after receiving Communion and before eating, which isn't at all difficult for someone who stays for the end of Mass and makes at least a brief thanksgiving.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:40 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I wouldn't tell someone to stop doing that, but it is nowhere near the top of things upon which I would urge someone's attention.

Need something to read?

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 24 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next