Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 4 of 9   [ 171 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chakra and Catholicism
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:53 pm 

Religion: Catholic
This is actually a rather fascinating and interesting question. It would take me a while to dig it up but suffice it to say that at least one statement has been issued regarding Reiki that warns Catholics of it's use. The real problem with Reiki or astrology or other beliefs is that they express a belief in a power other than God.

I do not see a belief in alternative forms of healing such as acupuncture contrary to the faith or the use of herbs. Lack of belief in western science is not sinful. There are many ways of making sense of the world and the body. Scripture tells us we are beautifully and wonderfully made. I think leaving some things to mystery in regard to ant created thing is good. Science can lead to scientism which is the belief that the only way we can know something is by the scientific method. A belief that was at least a little but behind the whole Galileo controversy.

So, if using chackras helps people to understand the body I see nothing wrong. If however that belief that includes belief in powers outside of God than it is where these beliefs would be contrary to the Catholic faith.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:37 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Another very good book about new age written by a Catholic who had gotten into it is "Ransomed From Darkness" by Moira Noonan.

It started with her getting into Reiki and focusing on a power that was not God. She goes on to tell how her involvement with new age increased, and how she eventually got out of it.

She had some physical problems that were temporarily helped by Reiki, but then things went downhill after that. The evil one can draw people in that way.

You can do a search on the internet about her as well.

I have loaned this book to many and they learned a lot from it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:13 am 

I am curious as to the use of "blessed salt". There is a provision for it in the sprinkling rite in the Mass but I was not aware it had any particular spiritual significance outside of that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:51 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I don't want to derail this thread, but I see there's a new member.
:wave
Welcome, Fr. John! We do have an introduction forum. I hope you'll post there and give us a brief introduction of yourself.

We must neither doubt nor hesitate with respect to the words of the Lord; rather, we must be fully persuaded that every word of God is true and possible, even if our nature should rebel against the idea-for in this lies the test of faith.
St. Basil the Great

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:23 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic soon
http://www.fisheaters.com/salt.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:36 pm 

The best way to keep evil away is to live a holy life. If one feels threatened in some way Saint Michael can also help. Sorry to talk about sacramentals not being magic but grace builds on nature. We are susceptible to evil when our character is weakened by sin. Jesus tell us that it is not what is on the outside that defiled but what comes within. Salt, blessed or not, cannot free us from evil. And anyone who thinks a real demon can be repelled by blessed salt should stay away demons.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:49 pm 
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
Fr. John wrote:
The best way to keep evil away is to live a holy life. If one feels threatened in some way Saint Michael can also help. Sorry to talk about sacramentals not being magic but grace builds on nature. We are susceptible to evil when our character is weakened by sin. Jesus tell us that it is not what is on the outside that defiled but what comes within. Salt, blessed or not, cannot free us from evil. And anyone who thinks a real demon can be repelled by blessed salt should stay away demons.

Welcome to the board. I think you'll find that very few of us here suffer from the notion that sacramentals are magic, and that even fewer think that anyone--whatever his views on salt--should be consorting with demons. You will also find, however, that we are inclined to trust the Church's wisdom on these matters, and her tradition of using sacramentals is so very strong that we are unlikely to be talked out of it by a newbie on a message board. :)

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:09 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Wait a minute....we can embrace eastern religious beliefs in chakras, but we can't embrace the use of Catholic sacramentals? :scratch:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:32 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: CDoA, SSVdP
<<< tosses a bit of blessed salt and asks for God's protection!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:01 pm 

Heathen!

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:02 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
Father, are you aware of the US bishops issuing the statement which condemns the use of reiki? :scratch:

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:08 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
here is an article which contains the pdf file issued by the bishops

http://amazingcatechists.com/2012/05/re ... -not-ever/

here is the conclusion

Quote:
10. Reiki therapy finds no support either in the findings of natural science or in Christian
belief. For a Catholic to believe in Reiki therapy presents insoluble problems
In terms of caring for one's physical health or the physical health of others, to employ a technique that has no
scientific support (or even plausibility) is generally not prudent.
11. In terms of caring for one's spiritual health, there are important dangers. To use Reiki
one would have to accept at least in an implicit way central elements of the worldview that
undergirds Reiki theory, elements that belong neither to Christian faith nor to natural science.
Without justification either from Christian faith or natural science, however, a Catholic who puts
his or her trust in Reiki would be operating in the realm of superstition, the no-man's-land that is
neither faith nor science.9 Superstition corrupts one's worship of God by turning one's religious
feeling and practice in a false direction.10 While sometimes people fall into superstition through
ignorance, it is the responsibility of all who teach in the name of the Church to eliminate such
ignorance as much as possible.
12. Since Reiki therapy is not compatible with either Christian teaching or scientific
evidence, it would be inappropriate for Catholic institutions, such as Catholic health care
facilities and retreat centers, or persons representing the Church, such as Catholic chaplains, to
promote or to provide support for Reiki therapy.

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:58 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
I might point out that the old form for the blessing of salt and of holy water explicitly mentions their use against demonic powers.

From the prayer of exorcism over the salt:

In whatever place thou [the exorcism is spoken to the salt, as if to a person] art sprinkled, may phantasms and wickedness, and Satan's cunning be banished.

And from the subsequent prayer over the salt:

And let everything which it [i.e., the salt] touches or sprinkles be freed from uncleanness and assault from evil spirits.

Likewise, from the prayer of exorcism over the water:

Mayest thou be empowered to drive him forth and exile him together with his fallen angels by the power of the selfsame Jesus Christ

And from the subsequent prayer:

Let this creature [water] serve thee in expelling demons and curing diseases.

Finally, from the prayer over the combined salt and water:

Wherever it is sprinkled in thy name, may devilish infection cease, venemous terror be driven afar.

===============

I don't know what the prayer in the current Missal is, and I admit I'm not excited about going and looking right now; my point here simply is that the Church has long attributed to blessed salt and water some level of efficacy in resisting the power of the evil one and his apostate angels. That does not mean that they are sufficient in every case, of course, but they do have a role to play.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:42 pm 
Tazer Queen
Tazer Queen

Signum Crucis wrote:
Wait a minute....we can embrace eastern religious beliefs in chakras, but we can't embrace the use of Catholic sacramentals? :scratch:

:clap: :laughhard

BTW - Bishop's document on Reiki can be read here:

http://old.usccb.org/doctrine/Evaluatio ... 009-03.pdf

Article on it here:
http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/ ... erstition/

Susan Brinkmann who writes for Johnette Benkovic is very knowledgeable on the subject of New Age and wrote this about Chakra:
http://www.womenofgrace.com/blog/?p=247

By the way, Father John, for what it's worth - by dissing sacramentals like Blessed Salt, you seem to be going out of your way to make your brother priests look stupid. I mean, after all, they did go out of their way to bless such things for us. My priest blesses salt all the time - and he's a recent ordination, too. And to agree with Gherkin (GASP!!) - you're not going to find many around here who think they work like "magic." Heck, that's what we're trying to avoid, after all. Sheesh.
--Ann

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:52 pm 

faithfulservant wrote:
Father, are you aware of the US bishops issuing the statement which condemns the use of reiki? :scratch:

Yes, I am aware of it. Believe me, I am not pro Reiki and I am also not promoting eastern religions. I would advise Catholics to stay away from it due to it's belief in some unspecified power for which there is no connection to God. Read it again.

However, Catholics do not need to believe that western medicine has all the answers. I believe disease is cured all the time through prayer. Western medicine does not address that.

In a similar way, acupuncture has not been sanctioned by the Church has it? The reason is it is not connected to any unknown power. It does believe in the flow of energy in the body.

When I refer to Eastern traditions I am referring to Eastern Catholics.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:06 pm 

Salt can be blessed as part of the sprinkling rite as an option. It is also used in exorcisms. However, a little research did not turn up anything regarding using blessed salt outside of this but if anyone wants to post a link from official church documents regarding this I will take a look.

What I do find disturbing is that when religious freedom is threatened, millions are aborted every year and man others are euthanized (see terminal dehydration) I am criticized for having concerns over blessed salt. I think our times call for Catholics who are able to engage a culture that denies God. Fighting that culture requires prayer, virtue and catechesis. While I don't mean to offend, I just don't think tossing salt behind ones back is going to help. If it did, I would buy all I can find, bless it, and scatter it all over Washington. But that would be silly wouldn't it?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:33 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (SSPX)
gherkin wrote:
Fr. John wrote:

Welcome to the board. I think you'll find that very few of us here suffer from the notion that sacramentals are magic, and that even fewer think that anyone--whatever his views on salt--should be consorting with demons. You will also find, however, that we are inclined to trust the Church's wisdom on these matters, and her tradition of using sacramentals is so very strong that we are unlikely to be talked out of it by a newbie on a message board. :)

+1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:37 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:39 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:51 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Fr. John wrote:
Salt can be blessed as part of the sprinkling rite as an option. It is also used in exorcisms. However, a little research did not turn up anything regarding using blessed salt outside of this but if anyone wants to post a link from official church documents regarding this I will take a look.

What I do find disturbing is that when religious freedom is threatened, millions are aborted every year and man others are euthanized (see terminal dehydration) I am criticized for having concerns over blessed salt. I think our times call for Catholics who are able to engage a culture that denies God. Fighting that culture requires prayer, virtue and catechesis. While I don't mean to offend, I just don't think tossing salt behind ones back is going to help. If it did, I would buy all I can find, bless it, and scatter it all over Washington. But that would be silly wouldn't it?

Scattering blessed objects all over Washington dc (and attending to prayer and fasting) seems like a great idea to me.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 4 of 9   [ 171 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next